Cycling with fractured 5th metacarpal

mediumbird

Cycling with fractured 5th metacarpal

Post by mediumbird »

So disaster has struck! Supposed to be heading off next Saturday on a supported London to Venice cycle over 17 days and cycling an average of 65 miles a day. What did I go and do yesterday but sustain a spiral fracture of my 5th metacarpal! Am gutted. Did it getting my bike rack off the roof of my car. A stiff clamp that suddenly released and my left hand somehow got caught up in the process. Strapped it up and today thought better get it checked out. Fingers now buddy strapped. It hurts if rotate the hand but thinking I could probably still ride as I ride on the hoods. Has anyone else ridden with this fracture? Be absolutely gutted if need to cancel as spent the last 6 months training for the trip. One silly accident later.....Think I am hoping for a miracle.....Will hear from Ortho tomorrow and see what they say......
eileithyia

Re: Cycling with fractured 5th metacarpal

Post by eileithyia »

Not sure I can really offer advise.
I did mine a few years ago, also a spiral fracture of my left 5th metacarpal. As I work at the hospital I managed to get to work, start my day job before admitting a visit to A+E might be inorder.
Plastered up I managed to ride 17 miles home but admittedly did not ride for a few weeks after that.

Not sure about tackling longer distances, but probably doable with care, extra padding perhaps on the bars? Before now I have taped a sponge on to the bars to hold when injured. Can you ride with your hand taking more of the weight / pressure through your thumb, 1st finger and the pad between the two?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Boxer's injury. I did my first metacarpel once, got arthritis at times now due to the break (a complex one apparently).

In my case I couldn't ride because I had no skin on my palm as a result of the injury and couldn't grip properly because the break was in the knuckle. I think you're lucky the middle of the bone was broken not one of the ends. My inner knuckle was / is deformed such that it sticks out a bit towards the inside of my grip. Meant it took two years before holding handlebars stopped hurting / aching at the joint.

My advice is listen to physio / doctors. Take their advice.
Outlaw13

Post by Outlaw13 »

Broke mine playing rugby. It was potted with all four fingers out at 90 degrees. I carried on cycling the next day for short distances with no problem other than not being able to grip the bars or use the back brake. Much more of a problem with the distances you're going to be doing.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mediumbird wrote:So disaster has struck! Supposed to be heading off next Saturday on a supported London to Venice cycle over 17 days and cycling an average of 65 miles a day. What did I go and do yesterday but sustain a spiral fracture of my 5th metacarpal! Am gutted. Did it getting my bike rack off the roof of my car. A stiff clamp that suddenly released and my left hand somehow got caught up in the process. Strapped it up and today thought better get it checked out. Fingers now buddy strapped. It hurts if rotate the hand but thinking I could probably still ride as I ride on the hoods. Has anyone else ridden with this fracture? Be absolutely gutted if need to cancel as spent the last 6 months training for the trip. One silly accident later.....Think I am hoping for a miracle.....Will hear from Ortho tomorrow and see what they say......

If you ride on the hoods are you able to brake safely . I managed to break one finger and badly dislocate another both had to be pinned back on, I went back on the bike after a month. Once the pins removed. But I had to ride flat bars so I could brake. If it’s an organised event you will need to consider controlling the bike whilst group riding.
NUKe

Post by mediumbird »

Been "off grid" for a bit and only just getting round to looking at the forum. Oops. Tried a short cycle trip on day 5 post injury, but too painful on our shockingly rough roads. Also, couldn't put any pressure through the brakes. Common sense prevailed and I cancelled my cycle trip. Was gutted as it was a big one London to Venice and I had been training all summer for it. 3 weeks down the line and less painful but no sign of healing, so cycling still off the cards for a few more weeks... :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Last summer I planned a trip from the fjords to the southern tip of Norway.

A couple of days before I was going to leave, I broke my pinky finger. I tried riding my bike, too. 5 miles I could manage. Maybe I could have done 30. On painkillers and stubborn. Not the 100 planned for the first day. :cry:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sadly, staying off the bike for a while was the only option.