Nutrition - post-ride recommendations

foxyrider

Re: Nutrition - post-ride recommendations

Post by foxyrider »

I like Stollen but it's nothing like malt loaf! Far too dry and crumbly for pocket food.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
1077767 wrote:Hi everyone. I am looking for some advise on post ride nutrition. I am a 51 year old man.

My question is basically this... what should I be eating immediately after a ride, if it is not a proper meal. Occasionally if I get back just before a meal, I am ok, but if I have a wait to my next meal, I snack. I know this is daft... work off the calories the snack them back on! So I would like to know the correct sort of product to eat in these situations. What does everyone else do? I'm after specific products or foods. I hope someone can advise.
Many thanks
John

From what I have read, protein is important for recovery and some carbs too.
So I try and go for milk shake and a rice cake, some protein and there are carbs in both.

Within 30 minutes post ride, but 15 minutes seems some advice.
30 grams protein and 30 grams carbs which is more a meal I reckon, within 60 - 90 mins?

What do pro's go for straight after ride, shakes we see, protein at 25- 30 grams, must be carbs too.
They are looking at 2grams protein per kilo body weight a day for muscle repair.
But I believe that both are needed for correct recovery as one needs the other to be processed by the body.

Millar D said nutrition is the greatest move forward today in performance, yesterday.
The top guys are metered their nutrition on the bike hour by hour.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... nce-182775
https://www.scienceinsport.com/sports-n ... -cyclists/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The body easily confuses thirst and hunger. Try starting with a tea coffee or squash, before eating.

NUKe
NUKe

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Steak and eggs with some green veg and boiled potatoes. Protein carbs and iron all in one nice tasting meal right there.
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:I like Stollen but it's nothing like malt loaf! Far too dry and crumbly for pocket food.

You're meant to wrap it and you carry drinks anyway. Stollen has the great benefit of containing marzipan = almonds = good.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:
foxyrider wrote:I like Stollen but it's nothing like malt loaf! Far too dry and crumbly for pocket food.

You're meant to wrap it and you carry drinks anyway. Stollen has the great benefit of containing marzipan = almonds = good.

Not all Stollen has the marzipan filling!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!