Lack of capacity

nez

Lack of capacity

Post by nez »

Over the last couple of months my cycling capacity has dropped alarmingly. I had a cough but no temperature. Hills I used to climb comfortably became heroic struggles. I’d often have to get off and walk. I had to cycle shorter distances. Eventually I ended up in an ambulance - blood clot on the lung, nearly killed me. So here’s a heartfelt piece of advice to my fellows. If your capacity drops and you can’t easily explain it, go and bother your gp.
gaz

Re: Lack of capacity

Post by gaz »

:shock: Hope you're on the mend.
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks mate. So do I. I have every confidence.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Out one day walking the dog abs getting home was absolutely killing me. Thought I was just tired.
It wasn't till my mum and sister dragged me to hospital that it was discovered I'd had a stroke!
Hope you recover well.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hondated

Post by hondated »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Over the last couple of months my cycling capacity has dropped alarmingly. I had a cough but no temperature. Hills I used to climb comfortably became heroic struggles. I’d often have to get off and walk. I had to cycle shorter distances. Eventually I ended up in an ambulance - blood clot on the lung, nearly killed me. So here’s a heartfelt piece of advice to my fellows. If your capacity drops and you can’t easily explain it, go and bother your gp.

Had my own experience of this recently ndlg.

Cycling up the first hill " I though blimey I've got to stop " breath back continued until next hill same problem but felt just as bad. After seeing my GP and and several examinations at our local hospital I was told I was anaemic and not making enough red blood cells. Currently on iron tablets and now cycling ok again. So yes I agree with your advice. Dont just think your just having a bad day if your suffering on your bike go and get a check up.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a rather large DVT episode last year so know where you're coming from. Does make you realise just how small a grip we really have on this life.

Welcome to club Rivaroxiban, long may you be a member, glad you are on the mend, with luck you'll get back to that hill bashing form!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks. Now I have a reason to be the slow one!
nez

Great Helmet Debate (was lack of capacity)

Post by nez »

This little story has led me tangentially into the great helmet debate. I was a dyed in the wool non helmet person until the hospital signed me off with a warfarin prescription. ' Can I cycle?' I asked. 'Yes since you are on the medication, but wear a helmet,' came the reply, 'we don't want you cutting your head.' I may have changed sides.
philg

Post by philg »

More likely they are worried about an internal bleed which will be less obvious. At least warfarin is quickly reversible in an emergency, the newer NOACs like Rivaroxaban not so.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums