Need advice on cycling post fracture

astionit

Need advice on cycling post fracture

Post by astionit »

I am now recovering well with physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, pilates and aqua rehabilitation classes and returned to weights classes keeping the weights low for the time being. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago and do not wish to take the medication which the NHS seems to give everyone. I have always been fit and active, Moonwalk 4 times, gym for more years than I care to remember and since retiring 3 years ago have slightly increased my bone density by more walking and weights in classes at the gym.
Airsporter1st

Re: Need advice on cycling post fracture

Post by Airsporter1st »

I think I'd be inclined to at least ask the physiopherapist, if not the Doctor who referred me. On here, you will simply get a load of conflicting advice. Even if we have medical professionals on board, which I think we do, I'd be surprised if they give you any direct advice without seeing you and your medical records.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We likely have people on here who have had the same problem and know more than doctors who have just treated it

There are more than a million posts here, try searching, your questions may have already been answered
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My wife has just been diagnosed with osteoporosis after a scan revealed 3 cracked vertebrae. She has been taking Alendronic Acid which seems to be standard and she is also taking daily vitamins D and F daily. They wont give her a bone scan on the basis she is too old. Her mobility is severely affected and she cannot do weights because its too painful. Personally I would be petrified of falling off my bike and getting shoulder damage if I had osteoporosis. I did that a few years ago with no broken bones and it took 3 years to become almost pain free.

Whats the objection to the standard medication?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
John100

Post by John100 »

You build up your skeleton in your younger years and whilst exercise is good for many reasons as you get older, it won't be great for stopping osteoporosis. You don't mention your age or sex. Tends to happen earlier in women. As has been mentioned not sure why you don't want to take the usual medication. Unfortunately it's a silent disease until something happens like a fracture. You've already proved you can sustain what I assume is an osteoporotic fractures. I would be very keen to try to prevent another!