Knee replacement

newbootclimbco

Knee replacement

Post by newbootclimbco »

I was told in May that it was inevitable I would have to have both of my Knees replaced sooner rather than later by my surgeon. I have osteoarthritis , thanks too 45 years as a builder and years running half and full marathons, I can't walk long distances now let alone run, although I did cycle from Santander back to Dorset in May/June this year 1000 miles with camping gear.
I'm seeing my surgeon yet again soon and this time will have to agree to the ops, My concern is what I can expect post op , I don't want to give up the long rides. Anyone else had their knees done with a positive result. cheers T.
softlips

Re: Knee replacement

Post by softlips »

Mention your intentions to your surgeon as it could influence the choice of prosthesis and surgical approach.

In most cases cycling is not only possible but beneficial and you can start quite soon post op. But this needs discussing with the surgeon and post op physios who can give advise tailored to your individual circumstances.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Some information here from me and others on recovery from TKR: viewtopic.php?t=109605. In my case I have had a totally successful outcome and have no regrets with having this surgery. I'm not the only one at my local Parkrun or CTC rides with a TKR.

There are various joint options (not all available on the NHS), some more suitable for more active lifestyles, so do discuss with your surgeon so he is clear about the level of activity you want to get back to. My main bit of advice post-op is to persevere with the physio and exercises no matter how painful (and it will be at first). You won't regret it. Good luck.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Mrs Grufty had a TKR seven weeks ago tomorrow. She was on the turbo within a week, on the Brompton within two weeks and on her cumbersome bike within 3-4 weeks. She's also walking without poles for the first time in nearly ten years, and it's hilly where we are!
Like the OP she was cycling lots even the day before the op, and has been diligent with the exercises. It hurts but persevere with the meds and exercises, Mrs G's like the cat with the cream now!
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks guys for the replies ,The surgeon I saw 6 months ago is also a keen cyclist so when I told him it was important that I will still be able to do the big stuff he said probably ok with 12/15 miles which doesn't encourage me much.I have to get both knees done eventually so will put up with the pain and knuckle down and do the physio etc and prove him wrong.Good luck to other TKR riders,walkers,runners etc. cheers T.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I would have considered ending up limited to 12/15 miles a failure, but then my knees are different to yours and perhaps that would indeed be a good outcome for your knees. My new knee is capable of doing 50 miles on successive days (and probably a lot more - I just haven't needed to test that). I mountain biked solo Scotland coast to coast earlier this year which was a serious test of knee and fitness, and the knee was no problem at all. As I will need to get the other one done too eventually and am aware that such a good outcome is not guaranteed next time around I'm making the most of it before I have to go down that route.

Have you thought about getting a 2nd opinion? There are more than one replacement joint options available. That's the route I went down after the original consultant (or rather his registrar) refused to discuss options with me.
groberts

Post by groberts »

I had my left knee replaced in 2015 and the following links outline my story so far. From my experience + and talking to others, it is clear that the outcome varies from person to person + age and prior fitness is also an important factor. As far as I am aware + in my case, although post operative swelling does get better over +6-months, it will always remain an issue to some extent e.g. the bend in my knee is now good, though will never be the same as a 'normal knee'. I found using a turbo trainer first and then restricting rides to the flat helped + don't rush it, or over do it. I've also found regular swimming has helped a lot in building and maintaining good leg / knee fitness without the disadvantage of weight bearing.

Today the knee though good can get quite sore at times but generally it has been OK for cycling. However, as is common the other knee is now hurting and has made cycling very difficult. My solution was to convert to an e-bike, which has been a great success; you can still get a decent ride, depending on the assistance used and without it I doubt I'd be on the road any longer. Even if you do make say a 90% recovery - as I said things will never be fully the same - an e-bike would also be helpful during the first year of recuperation, for me it's been a godsend and kept me on the road. I've just returned from a successful 175-mile e-bike tour in northern Italy, after which my knees felt better than when I started!

Good luck, Graham

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... -recovery/

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... e-year-on/

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... ling-e-ra/
Greggo66

Post by Greggo66 »

I have recently had my left knee replaced and was recommended a video to help with my physio when I was discharged from the hospital. I can't recommend it enough. Getting on really well now and am walking comfortably 2 miles and am out on the bike most days 6 weeks post op :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AHdqlfJBIA&t=269s

I hope it helps others as much as it helped me!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I have no personal experience, but I ride with a chap who has had both knees replaced (at the same time) 2-3 years back. Last year he cycle-camped the North Coast 500. He said it was really tough, but that was the hills, not the knees. If he is anything to go by, there is certainly good cycling after knee surgery.

Good luck
geomannie
sopsophia

Post by sopsophia »

groberts wrote:I had my left knee replaced in 2015 and the following links outline my story so far. From my experience + and talking to others, it is clear that the outcome varies from person to person + age and prior fitness is also an important factor. As far as I am aware + in my case, although post operative swelling does get better over +6-months, it will always remain an issue to some extent e.g. the bend in my knee is now good, though will never be the same as a 'normal knee'. I found using a turbo trainer first and then restricting rides to the flat helped + don't rush it, or over do it. I've also found regular ice therapy has helped a lot in building and maintaining good leg / knee fitness without the disadvantage of weight bearing.

https://www.gearhunder.com/ice-therapy-machine/

Today the knee though good can get quite sore at times but generally it has been OK for cycling. However, as is common the other knee is now hurting and has made cycling very difficult. My solution was to convert to an e-bike, which has been a great success; you can still get a decent ride, depending on the assistance used and without it I doubt I'd be on the road any longer. Even if you do make say a 90% recovery - as I said things will never be fully the same - an e-bike would also be helpful during the first year of recuperation, for me it's been a godsend and kept me on the road. I've just returned from a successful 175-mile e-bike tour in northern Italy, after which my knees felt better than when I started!

Good luck, Graham

Yes, everyone's recovery situation will be a little different, and all we can do is provide a recovery method that is useful to us. After ACL reconstruction, my physiotherapist also recommended to me to use a cold therapy machine to cool my knee. This relieved my pain and swelling to some extent.
welshpaddler

Post by welshpaddler »

Hi,

I had my right knee replaced in 2018. Subject to medical QUALIFIED advice I strongly recommend doing as you will be told by the surgeon and physio. I religiously did all the recommended physio exercises. Di take the pain relief tablets, night time was hard at the start ti get a good nights sleep.

Dont over do it and rush into what you used to do. It took me about 9 months before cycling reasonable distance. 10 months after operation I embarked on an overnight bike packing trip - hilly but about 35 miles each way. I am in my 70s so extra long distance not really an option but as yet no ebike!

Walking came easier and in 2019 had our usual "boys" week in the Lakes walking (using poles) every day most off piste. No regrets other than a large chunk of cash as NHS had waiting times in excess of 12 months!