Epilepsy / brain seizures

gbnz

Epilepsy / brain seizures

Post by gbnz »

Anyone suffering and still cycling? (I'd presume "anyone" still is). Though last thread appears to have closed in '10.

Have to admit I was probably in "denial", though drowning back in October with 3 days on a acute ward may have been an indicator :wink: . Yet another potential drowning start of last week (Nb. avoided purely by chance, as I was out of the pool for a couple of minutes) has forced me to recognize fact. And to save the staff having to pull me out again, I've volunteered to stay out of the pool at present. At least In my case it's a simple/full brain "seizure", a delayed byproduct of a head injury back in 2004.

I'm presuming that a bike helmet may be of some benefit (Nb. Simply on the basis that if I lose it and topple off the bike, it'll prevent grazes and the like, not that I'd anticipate any protection in a full scale crash). Thus I've dug out the helmet last used in New Zealand. Any other precautions worth taking?
foxyrider

Re: Epilepsy / brain seizures

Post by foxyrider »

gbnz wrote:Anyone suffering and still cycling? (I'd presume "anyone" still is). Though last thread appears to have closed in '10.

Have to admit I was probably in "denial", though drowning back in October with 3 days on a acute ward may have been an indicator :wink: . Yet another potential drowning start of last week (Nb. avoided purely by chance, as I was out of the pool for a couple of minutes) has forced me to recognize fact. And to save the staff having to pull me out again, I've volunteered to stay out of the pool at present. At least In my case it's a simple/full brain "seizure", a delayed byproduct of a head injury back in 2004.

I'm presuming that a bike helmet may be of some benefit (Nb. Simply on the basis that if I lose it and topple off the bike, it'll prevent grazes and the like, not that I'd anticipate any protection in a full scale crash). Thus I've dug out the helmet last used in New Zealand. Any other precautions worth taking?

Maybe check the use by date on that helmet, the materials degrade and they recommend replacing @ every 3 years.

My mate has some heart issues, his wife can keep tabs on him via a Strava app on her phone that picks up from his Garmin. Specialized have just released a helmet with a similar system built in which sends an alert If there is an impact.

I have heard of other people so afflicted moving to trikes or recumbents, not for everyone but it may keep you riding relatively safely.

Good luck and be safe
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Re: Epilepsy / brain seizures

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:
Maybe check the use by date on that helmet, the materials degrade and they recommend replacing @ every 3 years.

My mate has some heart issues, his wife can keep tabs on him via a Strava app on her phone that picks up from his Garmin. Specialized have just released a helmet with a similar system built in which sends an alert If there is an impact.

I have heard of other people so afflicted moving to trikes or recumbents, not for everyone but it may keep you riding relatively safely.

Good luck and be safe

Thanks, have to admit I'd forgotten about materials degrading. Not quite at a stage where a trike/recumbent is desirable at present, but who knows..........