Heart rate monitors

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Heart rate monitors

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Based on Foxys figures.
You looking at an average figure of 66% of max heart rate.
Either you are incredibly fit Or you're not trying hard enough :lol: :wink:

over the last seven years-
All training rides 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours at 80%
Turbo training can be in the low 90s.
12 and 24 hour rides I have managed 73%.
i'm struggling on the treadmill at 73%.
Two 3 1/2 hour training rides recently I faded halfway to the end so only managed 73%.
The medication I'm on at the moment means I should devalue heart rate figures by 10 bpm.
I.e. I should only aim for a heart rate 10 below what I am used to, that's probably about right because my max is only hitting 170 maybe and it used to be about 180.

Training and performance has gone to pot recently as I am not leaving the house, no idea when that's going to change, training at home is nothing in compared with training out on the road.
I look forward to better days to come.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I'm using a Suunto T6c. They no longer make 'em.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I've only just come across this thread - I used to use the Garmin ANT+ chest strap with my Garmin Edge 705 which was a bit of a faff.

Then I bought a Scosche Rhythm Plus (also spelt Rhythm+) which uses both ANT+ and Bluetooth - it fits via an elastic strap to the inside of the lower arm just below the elbow and is comfortable to wear for extended periods - costing around £60 now so not cheap and as far as I've observed (against my BP meter and the local surgery's measuring kit) is accurate.

I use it with an Android app (but have used it on the Edge 705 too) to make sure my HR max doesn't go too high whilst cycling as I need for medical reasons, to not overdo things too much.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I use a Honor band 5 which only costs £27 and works better than a £100 fitbit that I bought only 2 years ago.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 45. One of their less complex running watches. It's designed for running, although I use it for both running and cycling. Accurate GPS and heart rate even though its wrist based. I have a Garmin chest HRM as well but I've not found any discernable difference in accuracy or reliability. Occasionally I'll keep it on over 24 hour period to monitor my heart rate. Also it gives an estimate of VO2, which is useful, based on my running times it seems accurate.
As others have said, if all that's required is a basic HRM, I'd get the least expensive one of a well known brand, Polar, Fitbit. Thing is these days most come with other metrics like GPS steps etc.