Blood Pressure Monitors

boliston
Posts: 58
Joined: 5 Jul 2013, 6:35pm
Location: Taunton
Contact:

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby boliston » 11 Jan 2019, 7:04pm

omron rs2 (hem-6121-e) seems to work quite well - it's a wrist monitor so quite easy to use, just make sure you keep it level with your heart when doing a reading - been using it about 3 months now - i normally try and and do readings at different times of day eg waking up, after breakfast, before supper, after supper as it can vary a lot during the day - it's normally much lower 1st thing in the morning i find eg 105/65 usually compared with 115/75-145/90 typically at other times - smoking seems to temporarily push it up for example, or a particularly stressful day

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5522
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Jan 2019, 7:22pm

That lower reading first thing in the morning is why it's not advised to take a reading first thing :D

doxfords
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Jan 2019, 10:10pm

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby doxfords » 11 Jan 2019, 10:17pm

Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4540
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Jan 2019, 11:45pm

Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

Most of my readings have been taken after coffee. I think I drink too much coffee come to think of it.

Cours
Posts: 120
Joined: 20 Nov 2018, 4:16am

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby Cours » 12 Jan 2019, 2:44pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

Most of my readings have been taken after coffee. I think I drink too much coffee come to think of it.


According to the literature the best tine to check your BP is 3pm in the afternoon. It's when your pressure is best regulated and at its daily 'norm', before your main meal of the day.

softlips
Posts: 394
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby softlips » 12 Jan 2019, 8:06pm

Cours wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Good to hear that. Explains my reading where the higher reading was 3 inside the normal range but the lower reading was 1 outside into zone 1 hypertension.

Most of my readings have been taken after coffee. I think I drink too much coffee come to think of it.


According to the literature the best tine to check your BP is 3pm in the afternoon. It's when your pressure is best regulated and at its daily 'norm', before your main meal of the day.


Not seen that in the NICE guidelines or in over 30 years of working in cardiology.

You should take it at various times during the day, always after being sat down at least five minutes. I’ve never known coffee significantly elevate BP.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5522
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby Bonefishblues » 12 Jan 2019, 8:30pm

A Google search suggests that the NHS advises limiting intake to avoid elevating blood pressure. Similarly the Mayo Clinic links it with short term spikes.

softlips
Posts: 394
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby softlips » 12 Jan 2019, 9:48pm

Bonefishblues wrote:A Google search suggests that the NHS advises limiting intake to avoid elevating blood pressure. Similarly the Mayo Clinic links it with short term spikes.


They do, but it makes almost no difference to me or indeed the patients I’ve tried before and after readings.

boliston
Posts: 58
Joined: 5 Jul 2013, 6:35pm
Location: Taunton
Contact:

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby boliston » 13 Jan 2019, 12:08am

doxfords wrote:Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.


I'm not sure I would describe it as a 'false' reading if coffee has an effect on blood pressure - if something has an effect on my blood pressure then to me it's useful to be able to record that effect

Bonefishblues
Posts: 5522
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Jan 2019, 9:12am

boliston wrote:
doxfords wrote:Ensure that you don't have a caffeinated drink such as coffee within a couple of hours prior to taking a B.P. reading, as this will give a false, high reading.


I'm not sure I would describe it as a 'false' reading if coffee has an effect on blood pressure - if something has an effect on my blood pressure then to me it's useful to be able to record that effect

You'd want to be taking readings at 5 minute intervals throughout your day them :D

ket
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 5:07pm

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Postby ket » 30 Jan 2019, 12:32pm

Got a standard Omron unit a week ago (especially as Boots were having an offer on them at moment). Very pleased with it, easy to use.
Thanks for all the advise & suggestions.