Sudocrem

Graham

Sudocrem - Is there a generic alternative ??

Post by Graham »

My 15-year old tub is running out now. Having looked at the cost of buying a new one, I'm checking here to seek a generic alternative.

My model here, is a similar situation with E45 cream. The Tesco alternative is much cheaper and appears to do the same job to my satisfaction.
Aldi also do a cheap alternative.
beardy

Re: Sudocrem - Is there a generic alternative ??

Post by beardy »

Conotrane is probably what you are looking for. I dont know if it is the same as the Assos cream but it worked well enough for me that I felt no need to look further. If you like the smell of geraniums.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Aldi were doing Sudocrem at £1.99 a tub.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Look for zinc and castor oil cream
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If Sudocrem works for you stick(!) to it. A big 400g tub is £6.09 and if it lasts you 15 years costs very little indeed.

E45 is the generic name for the stuff and loads of people sell it. If you want a really low cost version buy a tub of udder cream - it's the same stuff.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
beardy

Post by beardy »

They are all types of "Aqueous cream" but they do have differences.

Conotrane contains 22% w/w of Dimeticone which I think acts as a barrier and as a lubricant to prevent abrasion sores. Combined with some anti-septic benzalkonium chloride.

http://www.drfranklipman.com/the-truth- ... methicone/

it also has geranium scent in it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks very much for your suggestions which will help to placate my miserly instincts. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Graham on 5 Nov 2015, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT comment removed
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sudocrem, E45 and Aqueous cream are all different things. E45 and Aqueous cream are similar. Sudocrem has a different composition, and neither E45 or Aqueous cream are good substitutes for it.

Any nappy cream with zinc oxide in it should serve the same purpose. Most supermarkets have an own brand that is less expensive than Sudocrem.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

beardy wrote:Conotrane contains 22% w/w of Dimeticone which I think acts as a barrier and as a lubricant to prevent abrasion sores. Combined with some anti-septic benzalkonium chloride.

I have never found Conotrane for sale over the counter. Tesco's are supposed to sell it, I think, but none of my local branches have it. I'd like to try it as it has been recommended by many.
beardy

Post by beardy »

You have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. Boots certainly have it and I have heard of Tescos having it in the pharmacy section but mine didnt.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'd say if Sudocrem is what has worked for you in 15 years of testing, why risk trying a substitute just to save a couple of quid? Spoil yourself and get what you know you like.
beardy

Post by beardy »

On the other hand, Conotrane may well be better than Sudocream.

You could end up sitting prettier (pun intended) and if not smelling of roses, at least smelling of geraniums. :lol:
ian peacock

Post by ian peacock »

In this year's 12 hour championship, and in the lead-up, I used "Bottom Butter" on my important places. I would thoroughly recommend it as an anti-chaffing agent. I bought it from Boots. ( I covered 224 miles and was the best in the over 60's category).
Incidentally, I used to buy my Lucozade in Boots, but it kept coming out of the lace-holes. Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

ian peacock wrote:In this year's 12 hour championship, and in the lead-up, I used "Bottom Butter" on my important places. I would thoroughly recommend it as an anti-chaffing agent. I bought it from Boots. ( I covered 224 miles and was the best in the over 60's category).
Incidentally, I used to buy my Lucozade in Boots, but it kept coming out of the lace-holes. Ian

Can the moderators do something about that joke? Surely we have standards!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

You can have a dip in my tub of Sudocrem, but, you can only use one finger, once. :lol:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.