Cycling to work

bogmyrtle

Re: Cycling to work

Post by bogmyrtle »

Definitely showers. After my long commute I need to wash my hair. Much quicker in the shower.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mattsccm wrote:Showers cost more and need more work to install. A sink plus decent room to wash will do the same thing. Difference is in the head unless you can't reach your buttock.

The difference in not in my head, I assure you.

I have a 10 mile commute, but it's also 300 metres rise in elevation. And I sweat alot. I cannot got to work without getting soaked in sweat. Yes, I can shower in the evening at home, and sink bathe when I get to work, but that
a) requires twice as much time out of my day
b) means I am not as clean at work, when I need to be presentable and not odorous in a professional, open plan environment

I have commuted places that I couldn't shower when I got there, but I didn't have a far to go; at the last one it was only 6 miles, and it was relatively flat.

The other thing is, that many companies installing a new facility like that will tile them, anyway. If that's the case, a shower is no worse to install than a sink.

Lastly, whether you think it's in my head or not, many people prefer to shower after cycling, and will be put off if they can't. I think that it is incumbent upon employers to make for a cycle friendly environment, and that includes a place to shower.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

shortclaud wrote:I'm not sure where to hang this post, but here goes.....
I've always cycled to work, and for me showers take too long. I find a sink, and have a quick scrub with a flannel. I'm dealing face-to-face with customers every day and must look presentable, and it works for me.
I may be able to influence the design of the changing facilities in the new building that replaces the one where I'm working, and am pressing for 'sinks with privacy' rather than multiple showers. The other person who works here does the same as me, but what does everyone else do? Am I just plain wrong in regarding showers as not what active commuters want?
Comments please

I would hazard a guess that the majority who prefer to wash at a sink are men. If you are in a position of influence as to what facilities are provided I suggest you consider everybody. While I cannot speak for all women, I for one would not be happy with just a sink after a fifteen mile commute.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

bogmyrtle wrote:
shortclaud wrote:I'm not sure where to hang this post, but here goes.....
I've always cycled to work, and for me showers take too long. I find a sink, and have a quick scrub with a flannel. I'm dealing face-to-face with customers every day and must look presentable, and it works for me.
I may be able to influence the design of the changing facilities in the new building that replaces the one where I'm working, and am pressing for 'sinks with privacy' rather than multiple showers. The other person who works here does the same as me, but what does everyone else do? Am I just plain wrong in regarding showers as not what active commuters want?
Comments please

I would hazard a guess that the majority who prefer to wash at a sink are men. If you are in a position of influence as to what facilities are provided I suggest you consider everybody. While I cannot speak for all women, I for one would not be happy with just a sink after a fifteen mile commute.

+1.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Anything that is perceived as a barrier to cycling will be used in the rationalisation process of why not to cycle.

If there's anyone there who thinks they need a shower then they need a shower, whether that's purely psychological or quite genuine physical requirement. It'll be hard persuading them otherwise until they have one they don't see the point in using any more... So if you can get an Actual Shower, IMHO that's what you should do.

It also opens up the field to people who want to go for a lunch-time run, etc. and work up a proper sweat.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Private sinks.
Have your shower at home, don't treat the commute as a race, judge layers/temperatures better, don't wear sweat inducing over-insulated headgear, have a quick freshen up/strip wash in sink, lather yourself in boff spray/cologne/parfum as you would, job done.
I used to have to mix with a few CEOs of multi billion corps on the odd occasion, have meetings with the clients/punters both in S&T as well as sweaty crafting uniform/garb, never ever an issue.
We are far too sniffy over these things anyway.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I sweat a lot even at low intensity do showers are a must. In fact for last 15 years had 9 jobs and shower facilities (or not) are a deal breaker
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Interesting thread!

At work I always keep a few "anti-bacterial wipes" to use in a pinch, but in summer I too use the quick wash by the sink. Microfiber towels are a bliss!
I like the idea of proposing some privacy in the sinks, still you have the problem of the floor getting wet after a few washes...
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

londonbikerider wrote:Interesting thread!

At work I always keep a few "anti-bacterial wipes" to use in a pinch, but in summer I too use the quick wash by the sink. Microfiber towels are a bliss!
I like the idea of proposing some privacy in the sinks, still you have the problem of the floor getting wet after a few washes...

Any reason no showers not just got cyclists but people who like to run at lunch etc ?
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

ianrobo wrote:
londonbikerider wrote:Interesting thread!

Any reason no showers not just got cyclists but people who like to run at lunch etc ?

I suppose that has to be seen as a big picture; most people won't be able to get a run, a lunch and some rest in one hour lunch break.
A sink gets more used by a broad spectrum of people and is a lot easier to clean.