reohn2 wrote:To much detail there Neil :shock:

That was me at my bike fit on Wednesday....... hahahaha
Neil
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Sore Back on the hills...... why

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ndwgolf wrote:Core strength is quite good for supporting 6 Heineken’s and 3 bags of cheese and onion crisps........... Lol
I’ve recently dropped 10 kilos and continue to try and drop more but beer is a killer Image

How do you know your core strength is good? Not to be rude but your pic looks to me like you've neglected upper body, including "waist", physical training.

In my yoof (20s) I too suffered the sore lower back after not just the hillies but also the fast-flats - any ride during which significant thrusting at the pedals was the norm. A member of the cycling club, who was an elite racing fellow and also a sports-science graduate, provided advice along the lines of: your whole body matters, not just your legs. Weight training and swimming were added to the cycling.

The core exercises made a big difference to the cycling in general and the back pain in particular. Now, some 40-odd years later, I find that my old-age lower back stiffness is actually relieved by a hard hilly ride, as the regular flexing seems to "massage" the parts and get the lubrication-juices flowing.

So, why not give weight training a try? It doesn't have to be body-building style - just enough to make your muscles, sinews, nerves and all the rest improve their function as they restore and mend themselves after the weight training does the micro-damage to them. Your bits will adapt to the increased stress of the weights. This will provide a much more resilient cycling body in the less obvious parts such as waist, arms, shoulders, neck and all the other parts that are stressed less than the legs .... but stressed nevertheless, on a a bike.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Cugel wrote:How do you know your core strength is good? Not to be rude but your pic looks to me like you've neglected upper body, including "waist", physical training. <snip>

I think that’s a good idea. I will be able to swim in my own pool in about two weeks time...... renovation. I will also go and have a look at the local gym and see if I can get some help there.
Thanks again for the advice
Neil
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Graham wrote:Oh and stop drinking alcohol . . . . It's toxic ! Enjoy life - stop poisoning yourself.

That ain’t going to happen. I enjoy a beer or three [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]
NATURAL ANKLING

And proud to be loosing weight :) , I bet we all wished we looked (non cyclist included) like that at 61 :P
editing :evil:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:

And proud to be loosing weight :) , I bet we wished we looked (non cyclist included) like that at 61 :P

I'd have to disagree with that.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:

And proud to be loosing weight :) , I bet we wished we looked (non cyclist included) like that at 61 :P

I'd have to disagree with that.

Sorry see my edited post while you were writing :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ndwgolf wrote:I forgot to mention that the guy that fitted me for my bike told me to increase my cadance to a minimum of 90 but preferably 100 plus. I can manage 80 but anything-more than that and it just doesn’t feel natural. ........... normally my cadance is around 70

Neil

For many people, increasing cadence takes practice, though I think that most cyclists increase some naturally experience & fitness. 'feel natural' is likely more what you are used to.

I don't place as much credit on higher cadence as many folks do. Most people can use their energy / power more efficiently at 90 than 70, but there is some individual variation. However, the (small) efficiency gains do not mean much to folks who aren't racing. That said, spinning is much easier on the knees. You may find some value in it, so it's probably worth trying.

My suggestion: select a gear that is one or two gears easier than you normally would, more going up hill. Not only will a higher cadence be easier, but you knees will thank you. :D

I also agree with the core strength comments; something like yoga is ideal for that. Weight training only helps if you train the right areas.

Lastly, I will qualify all of this with one concern: if you are pinching your sciatic nerve, it's likely that only changing your position will help. It could be only a very small change that's needed, but it could be hard to figure out.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

You might also try changing from sitting to standing and back during climbs, so that your muscles get a different outlook on life. I always feel that sitting I'm grinding up the hill, but standing I'm flying. Sitting's faster, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'll be the first to admit that i've not worked on my core properly for quite a while - I used to do a lot of lifting, twisting stuff at work. But from your issues I first thought core rather than fit.

Despite all the riding I do, I still have occasional soreness in the lower back, usually during long climbs or intensive, high speed riding. Pretty much always is relieved when the intensity drops off and or I move on the bike. If I get it after pretty much 45 years of continuous regular riding it's hardly a surprise that you are getting some aches and pains given the intensity of your rides.

I used to find sit ups were helpful but also other low impact stuff like step ups, arm/leg curls. Slow and controlled is generally better than speed.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
We all suffer now and again, for me its after an intense workout on bike like turbo session or too much throttle :)
I am mostly sore the day after so limit my rides at a pace till day after next.
Although the core is always mentioned, at our age 60 developing strength and even keeping it is not easy as I have found at 60 you end up doing physio work every day, If I don't then 3+ days down the line my old problems come back.

Your not riding flats are you (handlebars)?
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Your not riding flats are you (handlebars)?

Drops
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

ndwgolf wrote:Monday I did a 92 kilometers ride with 1800 feet of climes. I had a sore lower back from 40 to 60 kilometers (where Mose of the hills are) after the hills I was okay...... tired but okay but with sore knees as well
Wednesday I went for a bike fitting and they made a few adjustments to my Road bike to get my angles correct
Today I did the same ride, back was killing me again from 40 to 60 kilometers, but today my knees were fine........ we also did the ride slower today by 1kph
What’s with the lower back pain on hills?.
I’m 61 years young
6’3”
110 kilos
Bike Trek Madone SLR7

Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

Bike fit is not an exact science, despite what they tell you and is geared toward racing in the science part, some bike fitters are a bit more sympathetic and age aware. It might be worth returning to the bike fitter and seeing if they can tweak your fit, most of the ones I know would be only too happy to help and wouldn’t charge to sort out the issue.

One possibility is that the fit is good, and your now able to push harder so the muscles are just doing something they’re not used to. You could try stretching exercise, and see if hat helps.
NUKe