heart rate

AMMoffat

Re: heart rate

Post by AMMoffat »

I have long learnt to ignore the advice on calculating max heart rate by the 220-age formula. If I am running, no matter how fit or ar what speed, my heart rate immediately rises to a figure greater than the supposed max by that formula. This means that I cannot use training zones when running as my heart rate is always high. When cycling, however, I struggle to get my heart rate anywhere near the theoretical max and certainly never near the max I get when running. As far as I'm concerned a HRM tells me only that I am a better cyclist than runner, and I knew that already :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Interesting stuff
Am I getting this right. If we look at NA's post of one hour of torture. Discarding the first ten minutes would it be fair to say his threshold will be around the 160? As he managed to hold this for a long period. Then subsequently you’d workout your zones from this figure.
I see a calculator at BC
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
althebike

Post by althebike »

Paulatic yes BC advises discarding the first 10 minutes of data because your HR will be rising to threshold for some of this time and so give a bias to the final result.