My experience of prostate cancer

oldmanonabike

My experience of prostate cancer

Post by oldmanonabike »

Early diagnosis is highly desirable I reported to my GP when I saw blood in my urine.The finger test told of a hard enlarged prostate The PSA result showed a very high level and I was fast tracked for cancer treatment.
Looking back there were earlier signs which should have caused concern. I put the frequent urination down to my type two diabetes and my age (71) I found that the saddle I had been using for a couple of years was becoming uncomfortable it felt as if I was sitting on a large stone so I spent a lot of money buying and trying new saddles until I found a split saddle that was bearable.I continued cycling before the hormone and radiotherapy treatment started. The only real problem I had riding was one morning the group I was riding with decided to go off route along a rough tow path the pain was horrible my fellow riders must have thought I was a right wimp.
I have now finished the radiotherapy but the hormone treatment continues for another year just in case there are any cancer cells roaming around.
Please if you get any discomfort when riding on a bike which has previously been comfortable or your pee stops become more frequent consider going to your GP for tests it could prolong your life
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Spinners

Re: My experience of prostate cancer

Post by Spinners »

Thanks for posting this. It's important stuff and when a fellow cyclist shares the experience it's all the more powerful.

I'm glad you've just about beaten it and here's hoping you have many more years on the bike.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

yes thanks and hope you have a successful recovery

And I agree with Spinners we should share things like this not just as cyclists but with our friends and colleagues too.
NUKe

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Yes a friend had high PSA levels and family history.
He had preemptive removal and has made a full recovery.
Definitely worth always being aware of and bad signs.
Happy trails to OP.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Thanks for sharing and raising awareness. I’m really pleased your treatment has gone well.