cycling and ageing

peterb

Re: cycling and ageing

Post by peterb »

Driving to the start of the weekly club-run doesn't bother me - selfish perhaps, but I've had to give up on riding my conventional bikes due to health issues and now use an e-road bike. I haven't got the range. If I didn't drive I wouldn't be able to take part. Full stop.
I always compare it to the runner taking part in an event - no one expects them to run to the start, compete, and then run home again, do they?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of joggers drive to the park to jog, although they could jog there quickly and easily
Near me there is a dog monopoly (lead-free) wood, the car park is often quite full
Minus Two
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

A friends adult son goes to the gym every day by car - it's less than half a mile away, you can nearly see it from the house. Suggest he walks and you get a 'you can't be serious' look.

Well i'm off on the bike for a few hours, no trains, planes or automobiles!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:A friends adult son goes to the gym every day by car - it's less than half a mile away, you can nearly see it from the house. Suggest he walks and you get a 'you can't be serious' look.

s!

Is this the gym?

https://images.app.goo.gl/ffHQxJFDHwT83X2r8
Sweep
peterb

Post by peterb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Lots of joggers drive to the park to jog, although they could jog there quickly and easily
Near me there is a dog monopoly (lead-free) wood, the car park is often quite full
Minus Two

Doesn't it depend on how far away the event is?
However, I attend a fitness class in my village - I walk, about 600 yards (to just about my pain threshold, I have PAD). I'm amazed how many others find it necessary to drive down the village street to get there. Others drive in from surrounding villages (no public transport).
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

foxyrider wrote:A friends adult son goes to the gym every day by car - it's less than half a mile away, you can nearly see it from the house. Suggest he walks and you get a 'you can't be serious' look. !

Just like my mate. He drives to the gym (one mile) and then gets straight onto a walking machine !....I've asked him why he doesn't just walk to the gym ? He says that he prefers to walk on a walking machine because he can watch the telly at the same time !!!..... :?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

He drives to the gym (one mile) and then gets straight onto a walking machine

It's the same with people who use my gym and take the lift to the first floor then get on the treadmill or stair climbing machine.
nez

Post by nez »

someone pointed out to me I don't use the warm down bikes at the gym. 'I cycle home,' I said.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Huge car park outside our local gym, always full, bike parking for about a dozen bicycles, usually 3 or 4 bikes there!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How sickening, gym membership co$ts a lot too, it's the economy stupid
But.. could a gym be a good place to meet new people, particularly a new partner? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

But.. could a gym be a good place to meet new people, particularly a new partner?

Well, if you are desperate. :oops:
nez

Post by nez »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How sickening, gym membership co$ts a lot too, it's the economy stupid
But.. could a gym be a good place to meet new people, particularly a new partner? :?

Since most people wear earphones and listen to music (or in my case podcasts) it's difficult to see how that would work. Maybe if you were issued with slate and chalk on the way in...