cycling and ageing

mercalia

cycling and ageing

Post by mercalia »

"Recent studies of recreational cyclists aged 55-79 suggest they have the capacity to do everyday tasks very easily and efficiently because nearly all parts of their body are in remarkably good condition.

The cyclists also scored highly on tests measuring mental agility, mental health and quality of life."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47331544
Last edited by Graham on 25 Mar 2019, 9:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speeling
geomannie

Re: cycliing and ageing

Post by geomannie »

That fits with my experience. Most of our club riders are older (50-80) and all are fully alert, fit and engaged with life. I recently found myself (63) sprinting against a 79 year old to be the first to the next speed limit sign and thinking, "it would be brilliant to be as fit as him when I am his age".

What I can't say however, if it’s the cycling that has helped the older riders maintain their vitality, or as lively active people, they happen to go cycling. What is clear, it that we all get a lot of enjoyment from cycling and that keeps us happy. It therefore must be good for us (unscientific conclusion).
geomannie
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Cycling is the best as we grow older... less strain on muscles, brilliant for the cardio system and tie in with some core work , a winner !
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It's not getting old that makes you give up - it's giving up that makes you old!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fastpedaller wrote:It's not getting old that makes you give up - it's giving up that makes you old!

My own intention is to continue my thrusting, of every kind, in a vigorous manner for as long as possible and even when it's not! It is a sad thing to see 40 and 50 year-olds who look like bits of a fatberg or old teddybear that has lost it's stuffing.

These days we can go: bike; very light bike; electric bike; tricycle; electric tricycle; gym bike...... What else will they invent for when we get to 113 and still wish to thrust? A Stannah thrust-enhancer!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Cugel wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:It's not getting old that makes you give up - it's giving up that makes you old!

My own intention is to continue my thrusting, of every kind, in a vigorous manner for as long as possible and even when it's not! It is a sad thing to see 40 and 50 year-olds who look like bits of a fatberg or old teddybear that has lost it's stuffing.

These days we can go: bike; very light bike; electric bike; tricycle; electric tricycle; gym bike...... What else will they invent for when we get to 113 and still wish to thrust? A Stannah thrust-enhancer!

Cugel

Spot on cycling is for all and discriminates against no one
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Hmm..... I notice that Stannah have a lift available for domestic use (c/f the usual stair type lift). Is it because I've now passed 60 that I've become aware of these? We live in a bungalow, so I think it's a bit OTT just to get up into the loft :lol:
toontra

Post by toontra »

I took part in the study. It was a fairly grueling experience in the lab including a series of electric shocks to the neck [emoji15]

The results were worth the temporary discomfort though [emoji6]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G950F using hovercraft full of eels.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fastpedaller wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Hmm..... I notice that Stannah have a lift available for domestic use (c/f the usual stair type lift). Is it because I've now passed 60 that I've become aware of these? We live in a bungalow, so I think it's a bit OTT just to get up into the loft :lol:

Along with beige clothing replete with "unfortunate" stains, I regard the Stannah thing as a warning sign of impending rot, decrepitude and ruin, leading to an Awful Ending! If you spot any of this on yourself or in your vicinity, that is the time to do LEJOG or even a 1200km audax. These may be kill or cure but either is preferable to a perch in the gimmery, attended by a large male "nurse" with an unpleasant smirk and big thick fingers clutching a syringe of gigantic proportions.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Cugel wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Along with beige clothing replete with "unfortunate" stains, I regard the Stannah thing as a warning sign of impending rot, decrepitude and ruin, leading to an Awful Ending! If you spot any of this on yourself or in your vicinity, that is the time to do LEJOG or even a 1200km audax. These may be kill or cure but either is preferable to a perch in the gimmery, attended by a large male "nurse" with an unpleasant smirk and big thick fingers clutching a syringe of gigantic proportions.

Cugel

I've often pondered the reason why so many elderly men (that includes me) wear beige clothing.
I suspect that their clothing is being bought by their spouse so that they form a neutral accompaniment to whatever bright colours their spouse chooses to wear.
I hope that's not sexist.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

ANTONISH wrote:I've often pondered the reason why so many elderly men (that includes me) wear beige clothing.
I suspect that their clothing is being bought by their spouse so that they form a neutral accompaniment to whatever bright colours their spouse chooses to wear.

That is extraordinarily sexist. You have just made the statement that most older men are incapable of buying their own clothing and are under the control of their spouses.

Us old blokes are a diverse set of individuals. The fact that a lot wear beige is that we simply have no dress sense.
geomannie
avalonian

Post by avalonian »

I don't own any beige clothing and I am over 60.
horizon

Post by horizon »

toontra wrote:I took part in the study. It was a fairly grueling experience in the lab including a series of electric shocks to the neck [emoji15]

The results were worth the temporary discomfort though [emoji6]

toontra: that's brilliant - really nice to know that a forum member was involved - brings it home. And can I just mention that it was your blog that inspired me to do Audax. Keep up the great work!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
toontra

Post by toontra »

That's really humbling, horizon. Thanks!

Keep cycling and live healthy longer is the message [emoji3]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G950F using hovercraft full of eels.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ANTONISH wrote:
Cugel wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

I've often pondered the reason why so many elderly men (that includes me) wear beige clothing.

My origins are a crack in the Erf, from which I was thrown, in Tyneside. In my yoof there were many dominating Geordie matrons bossing their small be-capped men aboot - a sort of reverse Andy Capp thing. The small be-capped lads had better jump when the directions were issued otherwise there would be dire consequences, ranging from belittlement in front of the other matrons to a firm wallop with a kitchen implement!

These fierce wimmin were also the bane of small boys and also the girls, who were skelped on any and every occasion, since they probably deserved one - or so opined the fierce wimmin. Nevertheless, it was seen as good sport to annoy one then run off before they could grasp and belt the offending child. None of them were much good at running.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes