post,knee op

newbootclimbco

post,knee op

Postby newbootclimbco » 8 Apr 2019, 8:20am

March 26 into Bournemouth Hospital for a inner partial,or half a new knee, operation all went well came out of hospital after only 2 days and back home. Now 13 days post op, Almost drug free but not yet a little twist or a knock and its painful but i'm getting about with just a little help from crutches I can bend my knee enough to climb stairs 90%. I am being very carful and not over doing things. I had loads of advice and tips on what to expect but that was from people who had a TKR. My surgeon said recovery for me would be quicker and easier, so anyone had my Op ? how are things with you, have you compared recovery times with both types operation. My staples come out tomorrow ,physio starts Thursday. I shall then set up a static bike at home and start swimming. No driving yet.cheers T.

bogmyrtle

Re: post,knee op

Postby bogmyrtle » 8 Apr 2019, 9:41pm

I'm a couple of weeks behind you. Operation is this Friday (having been cancelled from the beginning of March). Like you I will likely have a half knee replacement unless other horrors are found once they get in there. You are right, most of the information is for total replacement. I've advised my employers based on what I've been told about total replacement.
It's good to know you are reasonably pain free so quickly. Has your wound healed enough to swim also do you have an exercise bike? I just have a turbo trainer but my bike has a crossbar so I think I may struggle getting on it.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

newbootclimbco

Postby newbootclimbco » 9 Apr 2019, 6:55am

Hi Bogmyrtle , Good luck for Friday i.m sure all will be well. I shall set one of my bikes onto my turbo charger and with a small foot stool along side of bike its easy to hop on and off. I intend to start this on Friday at home the day after I start physio .Swimming it'll be good to get back in the pool after today when my staples come out, only problem there is ,I can't drive until i'v been signed off by my surgeon which for a FKR is about 6 weeks. my insurance co will not cover me until the surgeon says ok. IN 3 weeks you may be almost running around. I shall get my other knee done before winter, touring again next year. Cheers T.

newbootclimbco

Postby newbootclimbco » 23 Apr 2019, 9:56am

Hi Bogmyrtle ,and all about to have knee surgery. It's now 4 weeks since I had my inner partial knee replaced as there is little mentioned about post op,half knees here's me at present.I did say a couple of weeks back I did'nt need too many pain killers , I think I was a bit too quick to say that and its about now that depending what I do determine how many drugs I take. I have not set up my turbo and a bike yet but hope too very soon also I hope to start swimming again this week. I think up until now I was jumping the gun a little about how much I can do , so take heed and be patient. I can walk without crutches maybe 1/4 mile before my knee gets sore I can climb stairs fairly well I have to be more tentative coming back down at the moment. I can get a reasonable bend the swelling is not to bad althought my knee/ leg still feels a bit bruised. So on the whole i'm pleased with my new knee and will be happy to get the second one done later this year. Ihope to get a tour of Holland in this year pre 2nd op. This time next year will be planning a 700 mile plus tour.?? I hope. Good Luck to all. cheers T.

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 25 Apr 2019, 9:27am

Hi survived so far. The operation went smoothly and I've had very little pain from the actual knee but my hip has been causing me grief from the point of the sensation returning post op. I had the staples removed yesterday. Friends took me out for lunch but as soon as I sat down on a wooden chair my hip started to object quite forcefully. I'm possibly going to a funeral this afternoon so was thinking I will maybe wear my cycling shorts under my trousers for a bit of extra padding.

Like you at this point I'm on minimal painkillers. When I do take them it's for the hip pain but I've had to go cold turkey the last couple of days due to accidentally dropping and spilling my bottle of morphine solution just before the Easter weekend. Pharmacy is 5 miles away and won't deliver. Friends went to collect my prescription yesterday morning only to be told it wouldn't be ready until after 3.00pm. From what you say I'm likely to be needing it so hopefully someone will be able to pick it up today for me. It's quite difficult when you live alone and don't have any family living locally.
Although I think the bowing of my leg is less it's still not particularly straight when viewed from the side. I'm told that Physio which starts next week will address this. I suspect this is going to hurt.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.