Road bike design load limit vs My starting weight

staituk

Road bike design load limit vs My starting weight

Post by staituk »

Hi i was looking at some new tyres for my Road bike and i seen some and they said they had a load of 75Kg,

i am 132 kg and cycling to lose weight, does that mean i i should not use these tyres, or infact am i too heavy for a road bike? and should got a MTB

do bikes have a max user weight,

thanks
rotavator

Re: my weight

Post by rotavator »

Yes, at least some, possibly all bikes have a maximum user weight. You would have to check with the manufacturor. Strongly built touring bikes are likely to have a high weight bearing capacity.

As for the load on the tyre v. the 75 kg which I assume you mean is its maximum load, you could add together your weight, the bike's weight, luggage including water then split it between the two wheels, lets say 60/40 with the the most weight on the rear and compare the result with the limit; I seems to me that the rear tyre will be over the limit. Another way would be put the rear wheel of the bike on bathroom scales then carefully get on board and balance against a wall say, and check the weight borne on the rear wheel. Talking scales or an assisstant would be a good idea!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is that 75 kg per tyre/wheel? Surely not per bike, a cycle weighing 18 kg would only leave 57 kg for rider, clothes, luggage!

There is more weight on the back wheel, you should shop around, meantime search these fora, plenty of heavy riders have posted
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I wouldn't worry about the tyres rating, and I would expect you're above the nominal weight rating for any bog standard bike.

But unless you undertake high speed descents, you'll likely put the frame under no more stress than it's capable of taking. The rear wheel is probably your weakest link - if it fails it's unlikely to do so catastrophically. Just get a strong replacement when needed.

My (unexpert) advice would be to ride sensibly, don't push the limits and replace when you're below your target weight as an incentive.

Good luck with your weight loss.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

As above, I wouldn't be too concerned. Assuming you have a road bike, you could in any case fit a heavier type of tyre (NB. I had a flat barred road bike used for commuting daily, with the original racing wheels simply fitted with a heavier tyre (28mm touring type tyres, rather than 20-23mm racing tyres).

I'll have had loaded a road frame & wheelset (NB. Think they were 24-28 spoke) with weights up to 124kg daily without an issue. Replacement was purely down to wear and tear - living in hilly area, the brakes were always in use, with heavy rim wear as a result.
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

Most big box road bike makers have suggested limits of 120kg. But thr bikes and the wheels can usually handle much more than that. I think you're weight is quite fine, for good quality road bike.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

105 kg is also a very common load limit for road bikes, 125 fairly typical for MTBs. I'm 116kg or so, never had a problem on any bike, although I'm not a klutz and ride very light on the contact points.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.