Over exercise?

Cugel

Re: Over exercise?

Postby Cugel » 9 May 2019, 11:08am

ANTONISH wrote:
Cugel wrote: All this talk about "resting" or "not overdoing it" is for pencil-necks!

Cugel

What's a pencil neck ?

An ancient phrase of derision employed by body-builders for the feeblings found in modern life, as they sit for hours in their car seat, office seat or sofa, their muscles literally wasting away with disuse. When clothed, it's hard to tell if a slim person is so because of their basic physiology or because they have wasted away with inertia - but the neck is exposed and may indicate the condition of the rest of the body by being thicker or thinner.

A strange phenomenon found in many physical development scenarios is as follows: development of one type of body part in one body-location often causes some similar development in another corresponding body part. For example, If you do bicep curls only on one arm, any eventual muscular development will see the other arm grow too, despite it not doing any bicep curls. However, that other arm may still be relatively weak as not everything in the arm grows like the muscle. The sinews and nerves involved, for example, don't seem to develop.

If one does a lot of any kind of exercise, various parts of the body not employed much in that exercise may grow. Others don't. Cyclist sometimes have immense quads, calves and glutes but scridgy chests and arms, for example. But most kinds of exercise seem to cause the neck muscles to thicken a bit, even cycling. I suppose the head gets tossed about or cantileverd out in most kinds of vigorous exercise, so the neck too must do a bit of work.

Cugel

amzounslide

Postby amzounslide » 21 Jun 2019, 5:01pm

Depends how 'fit' you are. If you've taken years off without ever going to the gym, I'd start off slow. 3 times a week for the first week, then increase to an additional day the following week etc until your in there twice a day, 5-6 times a week and feeling comfortable.

Going hardcore at the beginning could come as a HUGE shock to your body, and not in a good way.

If I were you, I'd go as much as your wanting to go and assess my body daily for soreness, doms etc. Cause I remember taking like a 6 month break and my first session destroyed me, couldn't extend my arm, hating life cause I was so sore etc.

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 23 Jun 2019, 12:26pm

You know when you over exercise.Your body and mind tell you in many different ways.Learn them and listen to them and remember,"wasting time isn,t a waste of time"

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 23 Jun 2019, 1:09pm

I ride about 100 miles a week. that's three 2 hour sessions. I lift weights three times a week and often go for a run for 3/4 miles. I walk everywhere if possible, including the school run and also play football with my older grandkids a couple of times a week. i reckon I'm quite fit.
I used to do the Sunday club run. 60 to 100 miles. really enjoyed it. But every time I've been utterly exhausted in the evening. Did not sleep well and always took my a full day to get over it. I've never found out why and club-mates suffer the same. Since I've stopped the club runs I feel a lot better and have gained a day in the gym.
So I expect I was over exercising and my body was protesting. It seems the long constant exercise does not suit. A couple of hours does not bother me and I sleep well
Nothing left to prove.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Jun 2019, 1:18pm

+1!
All-day rides in hot weather are very tiring, it is hard to drink enough
I did about 140 km one hot day, needed two days to recover

Plan to do a century in autumn, that should be easier
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Jun 2019, 2:49pm

Hi,
brynpoeth wrote:+1!
All-day rides in hot weather are very tiring, it is hard to drink enough
I did about 140 km one hot day, needed two days to recover

Plan to do a century in autumn, that should be easier

A century is 160K......oh I see 60 miles :)
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 23 Jun 2019, 10:00pm

cyclop wrote:You know when you over exercise.Your body and mind tell you in many different ways.Learn them and listen to them and remember,"wasting time isn,t a waste of time"

Perhaps, but the difficulty with that approach is that all exercise could seem to be too much!

The only way to improve is to over exercise to some extent I.e. I've had a four fold increase in lengths at the pool over the last five weeks (NB. Had a focus on improvement) - muscles may have ached, but I'm now doing the first hour without really noticing it.

Same on the bike, though my weeks with +200 miles have been offset by weeks in between only doing 40-60. Still, when I want to put the foot down as on a quick ride this morning (NB.Or last Sunday, which really stood out), all the stats show quite a difference. More importantly, it's pretty fantastic heading over the moors with the foot to the floor!

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 23 Jun 2019, 10:04pm

brynpoeth wrote:+1!
All-day rides in hot weather are very tiring, it is hard to drink enoughr

I'd agree, still haven't found a satisfactory manner to improve rehydration - water, milk, diluted fruit juice (NB. Other than trying to max those forms of exercise where dehydration isn't a problem I.e. swimming :wink: ).

Always have to give cardio down the gym a miss from June onwards - quite easy to drink 2 litres of water and still find my weight dropping by a full stone within an hour- a sweatbox doesn't quite quite describe it, humidity levels are unreal

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 24 Jun 2019, 9:02am

I can't do Cardio in the gym. It is just too boring. It does not make sense, in my case, to drive to the gym to run or walk/ride on a machine. The gym is a social place for me and I enjoy lifting weights and having a laugh. Replaces the social life I missed from work.
Nothing left to prove.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 24 Jun 2019, 10:25am

bigjim wrote:to drive to the gym to run or walk/ride on a machine

:shock: . Drive to the gym? I presume you're being ironic, it's only motorists who do stuff like that :lol:

It's a bit like those people who drive to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales to go for a walk :roll:

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 24 Jun 2019, 10:37am

gbnz wrote:

:shock: . Drive to the gym? I presume you're being ironic, it's only motorists who do stuff like that :lol:

It's a bit like those people who drive to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales to go for a walk :roll:

I didn't say I drove to the gym. Although I have done, I quite like getting the bus with my free pass. :) You are lucky to get a parking place at my gym. Hiking is a bit different I think than walking on a machine looking at a screen.
Nothing left to prove.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 24 Jun 2019, 10:54am

bigjim wrote:
gbnz wrote:

I didn't say I drove to the gym. Although I have done, I quite like getting the bus with my free pass. :) You are lucky to get a parking place at my gym. Hiking is a bit different I think than walking on a machine looking at a screen.

I think we probably have different experiences of "cardio". Have to say that I've never managed to hit a HRM of 170+ "walking" on a machine. In fact, I can't ever recall having walked on a machine :?

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 24 Jun 2019, 1:21pm

gbnz wrote:
bigjim wrote:
gbnz wrote:

I think we probably have different experiences of "cardio". Have to say that I've never managed to hit a HRM of 170+ "walking" on a machine. In fact, I can't ever recall having walked on a machine :?

My gym is packed at times. All the treadmills in use. I reckon a good 50% are walking, HRM? I've never measured it. I imagine you can get a high HRM reading on a fast walk. I know some people that walk/run in the gym have IMO genuine reason for doing that. Especially the Obese or women who are concerned about the abuse they can come across on the streets or the dangers of quiet areas after dark.
Oh. By the way they put you on a treadmill at the hospital to check your heart and raise the rate. They don't let you run. They got my rate to 145 walking on an incline but stopped me walking faster as they have a HR limit so I guess walking could trigger 170+.
Nothing left to prove.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 24 Jun 2019, 3:44pm

bigjim wrote:
I think we probably have different experiences of "cardio".

.... at the hospital to check your heart .... 145 walking .[/quote]

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 24 Jun 2019, 3:54pm

gbnz wrote:
bigjim wrote:
I think we probably have different experiences of "cardio".

.... at the hospital to check your heart .... 145 walking .
[/quote]
Tha'ts not my quote.
Heart had a clean bill of health. Told by consultant my results were impressive. Walking uphill on treadmill. 145, could still converse. Evidently it's not the rate anyway, it,s the time to return to normal that counts.
Nothing left to prove.