Over exercise?

fullupandslowingdown

Re: Over exercise?

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 30 Jun 2019, 10:39am

It makes me laugh (in a sad ironic sense) that you have these gym attendees who drive to the gym, go on the treadmill, set it to around 5kph on zero incline, and spend 15 minutes chatting to their friends. They then have a light meal at the cafe. Suppose it's a social thing but being antisocial I wouldn't get that :roll:
I was taught by a RAF guy that you have to set the incline to a minimum of 2% to replicate real life effort, and when they're testing the wannabe marines etc, they set it to 4%.
As far reaching MHR while walking, I'd have to set the incline to the max; 15% and lumber along at at least 6.5kph to get that level of stress. Far easier to run till I'm wheezing to reach my limit circa 170. Does anyone else have the sweat problem of shorting out the HR belt after around 20 minutes of intense cardio? It's annoying, I was wondering if to get a wrist watch HRM, though long duration cycling was why I stopped wearing a wristwatch as I had the tendency to flex my wrist back too much and numb my hand with the strap. I tried loosening the strap, only to drop the watch when I stopped and got off :lol:
As I age, I'm definitely finding higher work rates more problematic. I studied a cyclist's health book by er that Dr who used to coach Lance ********* many years ago. I rue the day when I tried following his advice on carbs Vs fat and protein. He said you need to consume at least 60% carbs or you drain your tank. My duration performance fell and never recovered, in fact I nearly became diabetic. Once I realized my mistake, a few weeks of Atkins dieting soon reversed that.
I'm a fan of EMESHIITs pronounced "Emma Sh!ts" for the amusement of the gym fraternity. I can now do a 800 - 1000 Cal session in the morning without eats, and feel great afterwards.
where I'm going with these useless nuggets of info is here: After reading dozens of diet books, exercise books and various research papers, and using a gallon of common sense to distill it all down, I conclude that.....
wait for it.....
Everyone is different :D
High carb diet might suit some cyclists but it ruined my performance for a while. Some people like to train in the morning, others in the evening. And the method of training varies from person to person. Some people will find greater value with doing long hours at level 2 or 3 only occasionally dipping into 4 for a hill climb. Others progress through doing a mix of short but hard workouts interspersed with long but easy rides. I reckon it's down to your muscle type, as well as genes which dictate how much you need to rest verses sprint. But I definitely think that us over 50s should focus most on rest periods, we just don't seem to repair so quickly nowadays. I've never actually tried it long enough to say whether checking your heart rate first thing in the morning can be a accurate predictor of recovery.
My last pennyworth is that for most of us, outdoor, real exercise is probably better psychologically than hours in the gym. Though it is a toss up between the assorted cleaning vapours, stale air and questionable microbes floating around in the typical gym verses the NO2, CO and bad driving out on the road.

cyclop

Re: Over exercise?

Postby cyclop » 12 Sep 2019, 1:34pm

gbnz wrote:
cyclop wrote:You know when you over exercise.Your body and mind tell you in many different ways.Learn them and listen to them and remember,"wasting time isn,t a waste of time"

Perhaps, but the difficulty with that approach is that all exercise could seem to be too much!

The only way to improve is to over exercise to some extent I.e. I've had a four fold increase in lengths at the pool over the last five weeks (NB. Had a focus on improvement) - muscles may have ached, but I'm now doing the first hour without really noticing it.

Same on the bike, though my weeks with +200 miles have been offset by weeks in between only doing 40-60. Still, when I want to put the foot down as on a quick ride this morning (NB.Or last Sunday, which really stood out), all the stats show quite a difference. More importantly, it's pretty fantastic heading over the moors with the foot to the floor!

You,ll notice I said,"learn them".It is,as you said,necessary to over exercise to improve however,one needs to learn the amount and intensity of this "overtraining" for it to be beneficial rather than debillitating.Case in point;wishing to maintain the ability to climb hills,I started walking up our local hill,Screel,a steep in parts,1000 foot climb.Cycling legs took me easily uphill but ,by the time I was down,they had siezed up,not being conditioned for descending meaning days off the bike.Lesson learned i.e.cut out the long descents.