Fixed my sore knee due to torn meniscus.

Gearoidmuar

Fixed my sore knee due to torn meniscus.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

July 2017, spontaneous tear R medial meniscus in knee. Settled in a few weeks. Treating this surgically in someone my age (no 69) doesn't work. Had booked Lejog and advised to give it a go. It hurt a bit initially but when I got home it was fine, for both cycling and walking. Had been a problem walking.

Around last Christmas it began to hurt again and I was doing a lot of cycling. It just refused to settle. I'd take 2 or three days off, a little better, get worse again. My problem really was walking. If I walked too far I'd get a bit lame.

Last week I bought a new bike (I have 7y or so). A Cube Hyde Pro townbike with a Gates belt drive. Problem, bottom gear a bit high for the terrain I cycle on. Took it out to try it on some severe hills. Had to stand and grind, which I had been doing little, believing it would worsen my knee. It had the opposite effect. After three days doing that, it's like a new knee. Out on roadbike today and ground up a 20% hill quite hard.
No pain during or walking after.
Bumped into rheumatologist I know. (I'm a retired doctor). I told her about this. She said.."You strengthened your quadriceps by doing that. That's the best treatment for that.
When you've a sore knee, that's counter-intuitive. In the next couple of days someone is going to read that and try it!
531colin

Re: Fixed my sore knee due to torn meniscus.

Post by 531colin »

So, just 4 rides "strengthened your quadriceps". I think you need to recommend that training schedule to the Olympic team.
How was the torn meniscus diagnosed? MRI? Arthroscopy?
robing

Post by robing »

I think the thinking is nowadays for degenerative type meniscus tears that most will get better with conservative treatment.
I've had a few knee ops for meniscal tears and acl. The first meniscus tear was very painful and even walking was bad. Subsequent ones not as bad and not convinced surgery was necessary. But luckily now I cycle a lot and run marathons. I think keeping your weight down is very important, I've lost about 1.5 to 2 stone.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Diagnosed clinically and confirmed by MRI.

Four rides DID strenghten it and more have done it more, smartypants!

How do I know?

Well because I could climb in a much higher gear, but at the same speed, after four rides. That's strength.
I was already very fit, but spinning a lot more.

Now put that in your 531 tubing and smoke it!
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

As someone who has had 3 meniscus cartilage surgeries (same knee) and had many hours of expert physio, I can confirm that quad strengthening and VMO in particular is of real benefit. Don’t neglect the glute exercises as well, crucial for getting the whole kinetic chain working correctly and sharing the load.
How much to make a difference probably varies with the individual, I need more than that you obviously did, keep it up, squats are your friend.