Worth a try if normal treatment fails
2%
Don't know yet
No votes

Total votes: 58

pjclinch

Re: Homeopathy, does it work?

Post by pjclinch »

Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I read the wykepedia article about homeopathy, it is likened to religion, something else we do not understand

It's possible we understand both, but we can't be totally sure the hypothesis of "imagining mechanisms to help our world make sense to us" is correct.

It is entirely likely that the real thing Samuel Hahnemann hit on was that the "medicine" of the day was quackery and minimising the amount of intervention would improve matters from where they stood. It is also on the cards that there is no therapeutic effect involved in the homeopathic process in particular.

We don't understandhow placebos work, but we do know that they do work. However, you don't need to do lots of extreme dilution, hit things with sticks etc. to get a useful placebo. While homeopathy might be a placebo, a placebo can be anything stood in for a notionally therapeutic agent/process. There would still be placebos without homeopathy, but making the reverse claim would be on rather thin ice.

Pete.

AFAICS homeopathy is like religion in that there's someone with "the knowledge" the answer to the problem,the solution is belief in the knowledge.
The problems begin when "the knowledge" that someone has doesn't overcome the problem,the placebo may work for some who believe,but when it doesn't the house falls down.
The case of homeopathy being of it's time in a world of quackery by presenting the patient with more believable quackery,and worse still the knowledgeable one may even believe it themselves without a solid scientific basis means that either homeopathy has plugged into something science hasn't understood yet or it's a placebo for believers in it.
IMO it's the latter and me being a none believer it won't work unless it really is the former :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

IMO it's the latter and me being a none believer it won't work unless it really is the former :? :wink:

Fascinatingly, as posted above, placebos can be shown to have an effect even when both doctor and patient both know they are placebos!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Fascinatingly, as posted above, placebos can be shown to have an effect even when both doctor and patient both know they are placebos!

Indeed. The more you look at placebos the more they are very deeply odd, and so it's probably unwise to make too many assumptions about them. I suspect this is true about a lot of psychology.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I am thinking of treating my knee inflammation according to Hippocrates's Theory of Humours.
Does anyone know of a good practitioner? Though perhaps it does not matter whether s/he is any good and just going to see them would do the trick.
Perhaps I should use crystals instead. I hear they are very fashionable at the moment.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mike Sales wrote:I am thinking of treating my knee inflammation according to Hippocrates's Theory of Humours.

Should sort out your funny bone at least.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am thinking of treating my knee inflammation according to Hippocrates's Theory of Humours.

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

You make me wish the problem was in my elbow.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Does anyone know of a good practitioner? Though perhaps it does not matter whether s/he is any good and just going to see them would do the trick.
Perhaps I should use crystals instead. I hear they are very fashionable at the moment.

It would be genuinely interesting if you actually did visit a homeopath and then report back on the experience. It would cost about £80.00 I think plus perhaps a follow-up appointment. I would certainly be interested in what you have to say about it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:
It would be genuinely interesting if you actually did visit a homeopath and then report back on the experience. It would cost about £80.00 I think plus perhaps a follow-up appointment. I would certainly be interested in what you have to say about it.

You remind me of a long past episode when I knew an Acid victim who thought he was Jesus.
He said, "You don't need those crutches, Mike, walk without them."
I could only tell him that I lacked enough faith.
£80 plus travel etc. is more than I would spend on a whim. Maybe I could find another type of charlatan in Boston, and get there on my bus pass.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

1 - Placebos have proven efficiency, they work better if there is more ceremony to them (e.g. consultation as opposed to "over the counter") and injections work better than pills.
2 - Homeopathy relies on "the memory of water" which is "hocum". It can be an effective placebo however.
3 - Homeopathy is not the same thing as herbal/natural remedies. There are a number of natural/herbal remedies that basically provide medicine in an un-refined form.
4 - If "complimentary medicine" were proven to work it would just be called "medicine".
5 - any long established "complimentary medicine" is probably a good placebo.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:
horizon wrote:

You remind me of a long past episode when I knew an Acid victim who thought he was Jesus.
He said, "You don't need those crutches, Mike, walk without them."
I could only tell him that I lacked enough faith.
£80 plus travel etc. is more than I would spend on a whim. Maybe I could find another type of charlatan in Boston, and get there on my bus pass.

I wasn't suggesting that you try it and be pleasantly surprised, I was suggesting that we all on here might be genuinely interested in any experience/observations you might have, negative or whatever.
Last edited by horizon on 26 Jun 2019, 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:
I think you missed my point.

Not really.
horizon

Post by horizon »

belgiangoth wrote:1 - Placebos have proven efficiency, they work better if there is more ceremony to them (e.g. consultation as opposed to "over the counter") and injections work better than pills.
2 - Homeopathy relies on "the memory of water" which is "hocum". It can be an effective placebo however.
3 - Homeopathy is not the same thing as herbal/natural remedies. There are a number of natural/herbal remedies that basically provide medicine in an un-refined form.
4 - If "complimentary medicine" were proven to work it would just be called "medicine".
5 - any long established "complimentary medicine" is probably a good placebo.

(In bold, point 3) Yes, this is correct.

BTW, homeopathy is generally referred to as a complementary medicine. "Complimentary medicine" is what you get on the NHS. :lol:
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:
horizon wrote:
I think you missed my point.

Not really.

Post edited.