Don't know yet
No votes

Total votes: 58

reohn2

Re: Homeopathy, does it work?

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 10:16am

Mike Sales wrote:
horizon wrote:
It would be genuinely interesting if you actually did visit a homeopath and then report back on the experience. It would cost about £80.00 I think plus perhaps a follow-up appointment. I would certainly be interested in what you have to say about it.

You remind me of a long past episode when I knew an Acid victim who thought he was Jesus.
He said, "You don't need those crutches, Mike, walk without them."
I could only tell him that I lacked enough faith.
£80 plus travel etc. is more than I would spend on a whim. Maybe I could find another type of charlatan in Boston, and get there on my bus pass.

But it would at least prove to Horizon whether he should trust a homeopath with his £80.Anyway pigs should only cost a Guinea at most :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

horizon

Postby horizon » 27 Jun 2019, 10:39am

reohn2 wrote:But it would at least prove to Horizon whether he should trust a homeopath with his £80.

It might not prove very much either way, but I think it would have been interesting. Shame.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 10:42am

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But it would at least prove to Horizon whether he should trust a homeopath with his £80.

It might not prove very much either way, but I think it would have been interesting. Shame.

It was intended as a joke but lacked a :D or :mrgreen: or :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

horizon

Postby horizon » 27 Jun 2019, 10:52am

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

My post is still misunderstood: I wasn't suggesting that the forum member would be persuaded or healed, only that the forum would be informed as to what actually goes on. Given the many posts above, I would have thought that would be interesting.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 11:01am

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

My post is still misunderstood: I wasn't suggesting that the forum member would be persuaded or healed, only that the forum would be informed as to what actually goes on. Given the many posts above, I would have thought that would be interesting.

If you're that interested why don't you pay the £80 for Mike's treatment :D
I cycle therefore I am.

horizon

Postby horizon » 27 Jun 2019, 11:04am

I would certainly contribute (along with other forum members). He has an interest in the topic, has a specific complaint and the capacity to write about it afterwards. I think it would be great.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Jun 2019, 11:04am

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

I am not so flush that I would shell out £80 to satisfy the curiosity of members. Perhaps the forum might crowdfund a consultation!
Have none of the five believers in the poll actually visited a homeopath? Perhaps one could describe a consultation.
I have now found that there are two homeopaths in Boston, but I have not gone so far as to find out their charges.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 11:18am

Mike Sales wrote:
horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I am not so flush that I would shell out £80 to satisfy the curiosity of members. Perhaps the forum might crowdfund a consultation!
Have none of the five believers in the poll actually visited a homeopath? Perhaps one could describe a consultation.
I have now found that there are two homeopaths in Boston, but I have not gone so far as to find out their charges.

I don't mind crowdfunding for you to have a consultation so long as it's clear which Boston you are to visit :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Jun 2019, 11:23am

The question at the top of the thread is "Does Homeopathy Work?"
I feel that a consultation would not answer it.
That the personal attention etc. might help is not in dispute, at least partly through the placebo effect. On the other hand I have had many consultations with orthodox practitioners, which ought to have given much scope for this sort of cure effect.
I would certainly have a good basis for comparison!
The medical history of this leg is long and complex, which makes assessment of improvement a difficult matter. Perhaps a simpler, more clear cut case would give a clearer result.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Jun 2019, 11:27am

reohn2 wrote:I don't mind crowdfunding for you to have a consultation so long as it's clear which Boston you are to visit :wink:

Apparently there are 36 towns called Boston in the world. I could fancy a visit to one of the two in Uzbekistan.

horizon

Postby horizon » 27 Jun 2019, 11:46am

Mike Sales wrote:

So £5.00 committed (payable by Paypal). That menas we need 15 forum members to do the same (around 50 have replied to the poll on this thread).

horizon

Postby horizon » 27 Jun 2019, 11:48am

Mike Sales wrote:The question at the top of the thread is "Does Homeopathy Work?"
I feel that a consultation would not answer it.

This is where we agree 100%. Your report would be interesting but not conclusive.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 12:38pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I don't mind crowdfunding for you to have a consultation so long as it's clear which Boston you are to visit :wink:

Apparently there are 36 towns called Boston in the world. I could fancy a visit to one of the two in Uzbekistan.

In that case........ :shock: :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jun 2019, 12:41pm

horizon wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

So £5.00 committed (payable by Paypal). That menas we need 15 forum members to do the same (around 50 have replied to the poll on this thread).

But only one committed to sending Mike the Uzbekistan for their version of shamanistic homeopathy :shock: :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Jun 2019, 5:52pm

Mike Sales wrote:

Please to remember Richard Boston too, he used to write entertaining pieces in the Guardian
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life