Keeping cool whilst cycling

skyhawk

Keeping cool whilst cycling

Postby skyhawk » 30 Jun 2019, 8:36pm

Ok laugh if you like, and I am sure it has been done before but it has just struck me.

As you know my son and I have just returned to cycling

my son who is also Autistic WILL NOT wear shorts, so I have bought him very flimsy long bottoms from a sports shop. BUt he also will NOT go out without either a Fleece in summer or something, I have persuaded him to wear a light weight photo jacket, as any photographer knows, cotton with many pockets.

Also he hates warm water, don't we all.

Yesterday it struck me, how to keep COLD and have a cold drink

I hate backpacks as being Aut. I hate anything much on, so summer and winter T shirt and shorts. BUT I need water as kindly pointed out by people here.

To the answer.

I have used these in the part of the backpack nearest to the body, WOW C O O L......... and keeps water cool too.

The thin ones, I take 6 in a cool bag and insert them when we arrive, so light my son now has them in his pockets also, keeps the backpack cool therefore your back cool and the water lovely.

OK not suitable for many but as a 5 mile there and back seaside cyclist perfect.

cool.jpg
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

Paulatic

Re: Keeping cool whilst cycling

Postby Paulatic » 30 Jun 2019, 9:15pm

Isn’t a flask in the bottle cage a lot simpler?

When you said your son won’t wear shorts I thought he cycled naked :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 1 Jul 2019, 11:45am

Paulatic wrote:Isn’t a flask in the bottle cage a lot simpler?

:)

He wants cold water so do I bottles get warm in the sun
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 1 Jul 2019, 12:04pm

You can get insulated water bottles. Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/CamelBak-Podiu ... ay&sr=8-21 with some ice in will stay cool for several hours.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Jul 2019, 1:07pm

An insulated army kettle bag will also keep water cool, but take care if you hang them off the handlebar because they can affect steering if wide or dangle low enough to foul brakes if close to the stem.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 1 Jul 2019, 1:37pm

skyhawk wrote:

Thermos Flasks keep things cold as well as hot :)

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 1 Jul 2019, 6:19pm

Paulatic wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

Cant strap them to your back though :)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 1 Jul 2019, 6:27pm

skyhawk wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

No you put them in bottle cage. I thought you were trying to keep cool? Anything strapped to your back has got to restrict airflow and cause sweat surely.

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 2 Jul 2019, 9:44am

Paulatic wrote:
skyhawk wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

No you put them in bottle cage. I thought you were trying to keep cool? Anything strapped to your back has got to restrict airflow and cause sweat surely.

Yes, the backpack takes the water as you know in a bladder and you fit ice packs in the back pack which keeps you and the water cool

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 6 Jul 2019, 10:54am

Hi, as you start to increase your distances and hence time, you'll probably find the increase in weight of drinking to maintain the required cooling becomes a drag.
What I started to do a few decades ago was instead of filling my coolbox with a few water bottles and loads of freezer packs, was to put the water bottles in the freezer the night before.... On the hottest days, I guarantee you that the water will have melted and be warm enough to drink sooner than you think. As you are carrying the bottles in a backpack there shouldn't be a problem with cold burns, but do be careful about that. Maybe if you have 4 bottles, freeze 3 and refrigerate the other so you're guaranteed a early drink.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 6 Jul 2019, 11:12am

Best not to go out too much in very hot or very cold weather even with suitable drinks, clothes, food preparation
Extreme temperatures strain the body too much, Anything Could Happen :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 6 Jul 2019, 11:45am

brynpoeth wrote:Best not to go out too much in very hot or very cold weather even with suitable drinks, clothes, food preparation
Extreme temperatures strain the body too much, Anything Could Happen :?

For the cold, I have lots of merino but also a built-in wetsuit in the form of a thin layer of fat all over my personage. This is a lucky genetic thingy, as if I gain a bit of weight it goes on everywhere (enhancing my built-in warmsuit) rather than around the waist. Also, it's fuel reserve and soon melts into thrust if I do a lot of long rides.

As to the hot days - I like to be what you would call too hot. My engine is much more efficient when I'm hot, with the leg-pistons going smoothly and the air-processors panting steadily. When too cold, I seize up. But that's why Gaia invented the Merino sheep.

Perhaps you fear the heat because you fear the fast descent? One can lose a lot of excess heat going down long hills fast, even at 26 degrees C.

Cugel

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 6 Jul 2019, 12:23pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Hi, as you start to increase your distances and hence time, you'll probably find the increase in weight of drinking to maintain the required cooling becomes a drag.
What I started to do a few decades ago was instead of filling my coolbox with a few water bottles and loads of freezer packs, was to put the water bottles in the freezer the night before.... On the hottest days, I guarantee you that the water will have melted and be warm enough to drink sooner than you think. As you are carrying the bottles in a backpack there shouldn't be a problem with cold burns, but do be careful about that. Maybe if you have 4 bottles, freeze 3 and refrigerate the other so you're guaranteed a early drink.

Blasted great idea thanks for the info, I won't overfill to avoid spitting

robing

Postby robing » 17 Jul 2019, 6:52pm

After getting heatstroke in France last year, I didn't want repeat.
So now when it's really hot I soak my bandanna in water and it cools my head as I cycle. I also squirt some down my top.
Works really well.

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 3 Aug 2019, 9:10am

Baggy clothes, really baggy so they flap about