Ideal comfy bike for 23 stone man

Gibbo1977

Ideal comfy bike for 23 stone man

Postby Gibbo1977 » 1 Jul 2019, 11:17pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am currently 5.9ft and 23 stone and looking to get into cycling with my son and obviously weight loss. I will be mainly riding on towpaths and roads so nothing to hard, I do like the thought of sitting upright rather than hunched over the handlebars but I'm open to suggestions thanks

Spinners

Re: Ideal comfy bike for 23 stone man

Postby Spinners » 2 Jul 2019, 7:53am

Welcome to the forum Gibbo1977.

A hybrid without suspension would probably be best but if your son is going to be riding with you then I'm just wondering how old he is and what bike does he already have... if any? I mention this only because his interests may be more MTB (how I started) so your bike might need to be more MTB orientated.

Loads more advice will follow here but good luck to you and I hope you both enjoy cycling together.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

pwa

Postby pwa » 2 Jul 2019, 8:44am

From previous discussions on this Forum it seems that most manufacturers have a weight limit of 120kg or less, which leaves you high and dry with your 146kg. I'd suggest looking for a bike built for strength rather than lightness and then be a bit careful with it. Don't ride it off kerbs and so on.

You are probably looking for some sort of hybrid.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 2 Jul 2019, 11:23am

Do a search for posts by Pizza_man, who took up cycling at 32 stone, and did LeJog in 2008, finishing at 27 stone. Three years later he had gone down to 20 stone. Somewhere in there was some discussion about bikes and equipment.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Jul 2019, 1:08pm

There are also a couple of more recent discussions...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130644
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129138

As for getting a bike... second hand is likely to be better value for money. Cycling UK has a list of bike recycling centres https://www.cyclinguk.org/recycling-centres
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 2 Jul 2019, 5:25pm

impossible to answer without knowing what can be afforded
Last edited by skyhawk on 2 Jul 2019, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 2 Jul 2019, 5:27pm

pwa wrote:From previous discussions on this Forum it seems that most manufacturers have a weight limit of 120kg or less, which leaves you high and dry with your 146kg. I'd suggest looking for a bike built for strength rather than lightness and then be a bit careful with it. Don't ride it off kerbs and so on.

Well I was 20 stone when I bought my first saracen and 16 when I moved to my custom bike

In fact I bought three Saracens one for me two for my sons still being ridden including this weekend

P1050175.jpg
Last edited by skyhawk on 2 Jul 2019, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 2 Jul 2019, 5:29pm

skyhawk wrote:
pwa wrote:From previous discussions on this Forum it seems that most manufacturers have a weight limit of 120kg or less, which leaves you high and dry with your 146kg. I'd suggest looking for a bike built for strength rather than lightness and then be a bit careful with it. Don't ride it off kerbs and so on.

Well I was 20 stone when I bought my first saracen and 16 when I moved to my custom bike but I didn't do mountain biking, just forests, trails and coast paths

P1050175.jpg

skyhawk

Postby skyhawk » 2 Jul 2019, 5:33pm

Gibbo1977 wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am currently 5.9ft and 23 stone and looking to get into cycling with my son and obviously weight loss. I will be mainly riding on towpaths and roads so nothing to hard, I do like the thought of sitting upright rather than hunched over the handlebars but I'm open to suggestions thanks

me, hunched over, no way.

You need to take care to chose the right bike, and to be honest a cheap one will be terrible. I still have my Saracen and they really are good bikes. My Saracen, not seen here is used as much as my hybrid I designed below

The first thing I did, was increase the height on the riser so I didn't have to be "hunched over" see photo, and get a decent saddle, I chose a Brooks, WITH an additional seat see the second link, I got this seat cover this week, it actually is worth every penny.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-stem-ri ... YeEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

P1050176.jpg

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 18 Sep 2019, 3:04pm

Bike choice aside - diet! If your diet is bad then no amount of cycling is going to get on top of that.

I was 23 stone in June, when I made a late new year's resolution to sort it out. I started calorie counting (yeah, I know, but seriously, you'd be amazed how much crap you eat if you take a closer look), also started walking a few miles a day, then back on the bike that's sat largely unused in the garage for the best part of 15 years.

Three and a half months in, I'm down to 19 stone 12lb - still officially "obese", but heading the right direction. Treated myself to a new mountain bike, and eyeing up the rowing machine in the garage that I'm still about 2 stone too heavy to use but it'd be great in winter when it's too cold/wet for the bike.

But the key thing is diet. And it isn't just what you eat, it's how much of it. Using cereals as an example I'd normally just fill a bowl til you couldn't get any more in. Now, I've switched to muesli and the recommended 45 grams a day (~200 calories including milk). It does look pitiful at first, but it's enough. A full bowl would be ten times that. And when you think that your recommended calorie intake is 2,500/day, it makes you think. A giant bowl of cereal would easily take half your daily allowance.

Oh, I also used to eat loads of white bread - maybe ten slices per day. At 95 calories per slice (and that's without adding on calories from butter!), that's more than 6,650 calories per week - just from bread. Probably nearer to 8,000 if you factor in butter as well. My current calorie intake is between 1,300 and 1,500 per day. So cutting out all that bread is the equivalent of not eating a damn thing for four or five days a week.

I haven't starved to death.

Food for thought (pun intended).