Cycling and bone health

bigjim

Re: Cycling and bone health

Post by bigjim »

mattheus wrote:Nevertheless, you ARE still riding. Sure, "we're all different", but the data so far seems overwhelming to me - running causes *more* problems. I've nothing against running - it's superb when you're not injured - but this seems to be the downside.

How many miles/hours were you riding to upset your patella?

Of course I'm still riding, :) it is a big part of my lifestyle. i was riding up to 200 miles a week when suffering Patella damage. I'm now pain free. I've never come across runners suffering joint problems, although that means little, as I tend to run alone, although I did meet them at work and my adult children run regularly, even with me the very odd occasion. There are a few club riders I know with knee problems though.
Like I say three consultants I see [they are always changing] due to Arthritis [which doesn't bother me much] but I still go for regular checkups, are quite happy with my running on a regular basis. May be extreme distance running would be a cause for concern, but there is no danger of that with me The only one of my kids who doesn't run, or walk far, has regular joint injury problems. He is a semi-pro bodybuilder though. He is extreme!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

softlips wrote:..
Everyone in the UK should take vitamin D in the winter months.

Everyone?? Who says, why? Could it be added to foods, as B-vitamins were (are?) added to flour?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could it be added to foods, as B-vitamins were (are?) added to flour?

There's a long history of products back to around the late 1920s, with interesting ones such as the 1936 - Schlitz “Sunshine Vitamin D” Beer.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
softlips wrote:..
Everyone in the UK should take vitamin D in the winter months.

Everyone?? Who says, why? Could it be added to foods, as B-vitamins were (are?) added to flour?

Recommended by the NHS amongst others. It’s rare to find anyone in the UK with healthy levels in winter. I read Team Sky for one introduced supplements in the winter.