New advice on adding strength training

whoof

New advice on adding strength training

Post by whoof »

Chief medical officer now advising doing some form of strength training twice a week in addition to aerobic exercise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49609597

I regularly duo some press ups, sit ups together with dead lift and squats. Nothing heavy (~35 kg), doesn't take very long or require gym membership or any equipment other than a bar bell which I got for free.
ANTONISH

Re: New advice on adding strength training

Post by ANTONISH »

whoof wrote:Chief medical officer now advising doing some form of strength training twice a week in addition to aerobic exercise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49609597

I regularly duo some press ups, sit ups together with dead lift and squats. Nothing heavy (~35 kg), doesn't take very long or require gym membership or any equipment other than a bar bell which I got for free.

You are right to maintain your strength. I go to a gym partly because it means I have more motivation - but the basic thing is to maintain strength as one ages.
I think we've been saying the same thing as the Chief Medical officer in this forum for some time.
LinusR

Re: New advice on adding strength training

Post by LinusR »

whoof wrote:I regularly do some press ups, sit ups together with dead lift and squats. Nothing heavy (~35 kg), doesn't take very long or require gym membership or any equipment other than a bar bell which I got for free.

Same here, twice a week. Three times in the winter (because I have osteopenia and I'm at risk of breaking a hip or wrist). Since you have a barbell you could include (overhead) press - alternate between press ups and press. ie Press ups on first day and o/h press on second day. I find if I squat or deadlift too close to my weekend long ride (or any ride) then it hampers the cycle ride and my legs feel like lead. Also find squats difficult the day after a long ride.