Acetabular fracture recovery

Syd

Post by Syd »

Hi,

On the way home from work on Wednesday I impacted the rear on a car due to a failed attempt to get round a double parked vehicle that completely blocked the cycle lane. Despite the inconsiderate and illegal parking I concede I should have approached in a more cautious manner.

Anyhow the outcome being I came to a stop from 32kph to zero when my right side hit the nearside light cluster of a Golf. This resulted in me fracturing the socket element of my hip, known as an acetabular fracture. Thankfully it is stable and not displaced so surgery is not being considered and they are opting for a conservative plan of very minimal weight bearing and a review next week.

Has anyone out there suffered such a fracture? In so how long was your recovery period?
John100

Re: Acetabular fracture recovery

Post by John100 »

You need to get this one right. Any fracture through an articular (joint) surface makes the joint more liable to arthritic change earlier than might have happened otherwise. As a general rule 6 weeks to get reasonable strength in a fracture and 3-4 months before healed as good as it's going to get. So listen to a good orthopaedic surgeon and physio. Don't be tempted to put weight or stress through it too soon. Good luck.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Got an email today into my work account from the head of ortho. I work at the hospital (share a corridor with the anaesthetists) where I am being treated and it seems news on my injury has reached him.

I’m back in for another round of xrays next week and he wants to see me to discuss things.

As you say John100 it’s important I follow advice and I hope to get some useful information from this bloke.