Vitamin B12 dosage

LinusR

Vitamin B12 dosage

Post by LinusR »

I've been a vegetarian for at least 30 years - I don't eat meat of fish, and I don't consume much dairy or eggs. I've never taken B12 supplements before. I'm confused about the recommended dosage.

VeganHealth.org says to "Take one B12 supplement daily providing at least 10 micrograms or Take a weekly B12 supplement providing at least 2000 micrograms." They explain "The less frequently you obtain B12 the more B12 you need to take, as B12 is best absorbed in small amounts." https://veganhealth.org/what-every-vegan-should-know-about-vitamin-b12/#rec

I've bought a jar of "Holland & Barrett Timed Release Vitamin B12 100 Tablets 1000ug" with the intention of taking two tablets once a week. But according to the label it states "take one tablet daily". https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-timed-release-vitamin-b12-tablets-1000ug-60001380?skuid=001380

That's 100 times the daily amount recommended by Vegan Health. Maybe I should take one tablet twice a week? Can anyone explain? :?
ANTONISH

Re: Vitamin B12 dosage

Post by ANTONISH »

I don't have an answer to your problem.
I find vitamin supplementation confusing.
The dosages are often multiples of the daily recommended amount.
I believe that vitamins by supplements are not absorbed by the body as well as by absorption by foodstuffs.
Perhaps that is why the dosages are so high.
OTOH excess ingestion of some vitamins is harmful.
I'd be interested in an answer to this problem.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I always thought that the medical advice was ' don't take supplements unless you have a medically confirmed deficit. A balanced diet should give you all you need'.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is some disagreement about how much vitamin B12 we actually need. Most medical sites give a medical minimum of between 2 & 5 mcg. Like:

While the recommended daily amount of vitamin B-12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms, you can safely take higher doses. Your body absorbs only as much as it needs, and any excess passes through your urine.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... t-20363663

I would suppose that VeganHealth.org have suggested a slightly higher amount because of the uncertainty. It is safe to take more. That said, I take a multivitamin that includes B12 (50 mcg) and vitamin D.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Oldjohnw wrote:I always thought that the medical advice was ' don't take supplements unless you have a medically confirmed deficit. A balanced diet should give you all you need'.

Vegetarians and vegans are generally recommended to take vitamin B12.

People living in the UK are recommended to take vitamin D supplements, even if they have a healthy balanced diet. Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north or below 37 degrees south of the equator.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

What proportion of vitamin supplement pills pass straight through the body ?
The sweetcorn syndrome.
I wonder how many people take supplements that just pass through, especially those like myself who have a fast transit time through the bowel ?

Various urban myths and stories of the strainers in Portaloo's at vegan and vegetarian events blocked with undissolved supplement tablets ... alledgley ... :shock:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:What proportion of vitamin supplement pills pass straight through the body ?
The sweetcorn syndrome.
I wonder how many people take supplements that just pass through, especially those like myself who have a fast transit time through the bowel ?

Various urban myths and stories of the strainers in Portaloo's at vegan and vegetarian events blocked with undissolved supplement tablets ... alledgley ... :shock:

You obviously haven't taken your 'meds' today :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:You obviously haven't taken your 'meds' today :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Nice one centurion .. :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

However did people manage before seven seas and other manufacturers of very expensive and apparently essential pills came along?

If the vegan diet was so healthy why should it's participants need to resort to the manufactured products of big business to survive?
John
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Thank you for the variety of comments... I'm beginning to wish I never asked... :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

B12 is something you find added to breakfast cereals whether you want it or not.
botty

Post by botty »

Taken from the British national formulary (what the NHS bases treatments on):

Vitamin B12 deficiency of dietary origin
By mouth
For Adult
50–150 micrograms daily, dose to be taken between meals.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

People vary a lot in how much they need and how efficiently they digest
Many different opinions are available, lots of experts in favour, lots against

Anyone who bothers can have a varied diet rich in vitamins + minerals, I think there is no need for supplements

$€lling them could be a good way to get rich, mind

Any parallels with homeopathy? I started a thread about that recently with a poll, cannae remember the result :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:.....
Anyone who bothers can have a varied diet rich in vitamins + minerals, I think there is no need for supplements....

I think the issue is the humans cannot make B12. Not a problem for omnivores (they get it from animal products, including meat, milk, eggs, and fish) but vegetarians & vegans can not get enough in their diet. So the issue is a vegetarian/vegan "varied diet rich in vitamins + minerals" is not any help (particularly vegan).

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:.....
Anyone who bothers can have a varied diet rich in vitamins + minerals, I think there is no need for supplements....

I think the issue is the humans cannot make B12. Not a problem for omnivores (they get it from animal products, including meat, milk, eggs, and fish) but vegetarians & vegans can not get enough in their diet. So the issue is a vegetarian/vegan "varied diet rich in vitamins + minerals" is not any help (particularly vegan).

Ian

I like breakfast cereal in the morning, which involves cow's milk and a cereal fortified with B12 and other stuff. Marmite is an easy thing to add to stir fry and stews. Vegetarians have no issues with B12. Vegans need to give it some thought.

Some general advice:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... itamin-b12

For a vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy it is a non-issue if you have a good diet. Vegans need to work harder at it. Fortified soya milk etc. Popping pills is surely a last resort.