Vitamin B12 dosage

Eyebrox

Re: Vitamin B12 dosage

Post by Eyebrox »

I took the Holland & Barrett 1,000 B12 tablets daily for a fortnight. After that I took one tablet every second day. I came up with this schedule after studying all the online data sheets and less technical comments in forums and reviews. It was confusing and I opted for what I think was a consensus of views. The dosage might be totally right or totally wrong but I can say my energy levels have been raised considerably since I started on them. It might wear off because I'm experiencng the placebo effect. But so far, so good ...and interesting.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Eyebrox wrote:I took the Holland & Barrett 1,000 B12 tablets daily for a fortnight. After that I took one tablet every second day. I came up with this schedule after studying all the online data sheets and less technical comments in forums and reviews. It was confusing and I opted for what I think was a consensus of views. The dosage might be totally right or totally wrong but I can say my energy levels have been raised considerably since I started on them. It might wear off because I'm experiencng the placebo effect. But so far, so good ...and interesting.

Good to hear this.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I get a needle stuck in my arm for a B12 injection by our NHS every 12 weeks approx. Apparently some locum GP noticed that my B12 levels were a bit low and prescribed this. I am not vegan or vegetarian so have no real idea why.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ambodach wrote:I get a needle stuck in my arm for a B12 injection by our NHS every 12 weeks approx. Apparently some locum GP noticed that my B12 levels were a bit low and prescribed this. I am not vegan or vegetarian so have no real idea why.

Do you notice any benefits? If not I might think of stopping the treatment
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I am not vegan or vegetarian so have no real idea why

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b12-or-folate-deficiency-anaemia/ I'd ask your GP :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Thanks for the link tim-b. Food for thought. My blood get checked at the same time as the B12 injection for a variety of things and has also been checked recently by a consultant for other possible problems related to I think my body just wearing out.
On the whole I think I get reasonably well monitored.
Cyril Haearn I do not feel any different after a B12 injection but none of the variety of medics I have seen have suggested stopping.
I did post this earlier but it seems to have disappeared so I hope this is not a duplicate.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe you should have declined without the injection, maybe it stabilised you, who knows?

After reading the piece I wondered if I should take B12, because I am slowing down a bit, really I had thought I just just accept that
Preparing a vitamin-packed lentil soup right now :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've read a bit about B12 supplements on this forum recently. Not being a vegetarian but an omnivore who has veggie days I have increasingly felt tired and performance on my commute over the years since changing to this diet dropped. Partly age but it feels like more.

So today I got a pack of cheap own brand men's supplements today to see if I notice anything. Last year i started taking vitamin c and noticed fewer colds or ones that cleared quicker. That might have been assisted by a sudden taste for garlic stuffed olives. I'd eat 4+ every day. I once heard 4 cloves if garlic have equivalent effects to one AB tablet. That's from a TV doc years ago so not guaranteed truth.

Anyway, whatever the reason for supplements or even if there's no reason they're popular and a money maker for sure. Medically I used to take multi bits at primary school age on medical advice. There was a very good and scientific reason b behind that. There's reasons behind some people being unable to get everything from their diet. Taking supplements doesn't mean you're not trying hard enough to get what your body needs.

In our modern days there's not the time to put the foodstuffs into your regular diet that fills in the gaps missed by dairy and meat. There might be ignorance involved with some but mostly life takes over and even veggie food sometimes needs to be quick and easy.

Arguments against supplements seems to suffer from the usual lack if understanding for other lifestyles. I think Vorpal has had debates over this on other threads. Side debates about single parents struggling to provide. IIRC Macdonald thread held a few.

Anyway I'm very interested to see whether I'll notice the effect over the use of this one pack of men's supplements I've started taking.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I remember taking multivitamin and mineral pills when I went vegan in the mid 80s (as well as having a carefully researched diet that in theory made that just a bit of insurance) and the only tangible differences were that it cost me money and made my pee green.

B12 needs a bit of care, but vitamin C is so easy for a veggie or vegan to get that a supplement just seems unnecessary. Linus Pauling was the bloke who advocated massive doses of Vitamin C for this, that and the other, but scientific research did not support his theory at the time. He was an interesting man, though.