Flu Jab - side effects?

Paulatic

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:Just had my jab an hour ago.
Will keep you posted of any perceived effects

Nothing to report. Sore arm for an hour and red rash at site for maybe a day
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Had my flu jab about a month ago. No problems. Had a shingles one and anti pneumococcal one some years ago. GP made the remark “ this should see you out”. Thanks a bundle Jennifer. In a small community we meet our GP regularly on a social basis hence first name use.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have never noticed any side effects.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

CX-3 wrote:Had one last year and went down with cold like symptoms within 15 minutes. Lasted for weeks. Doctor rubbished this saying that the vaccine is inert. He didn't like it when I asked him how it was going to work if inert.

Not going to have one this year, I don't want a repeat performance.

Makes me wonder if reactions are recorded at all - they should be!
softlips

Post by softlips »

fastpedaller wrote:
CX-3 wrote:Had one last year and went down with cold like symptoms within 15 minutes. Lasted for weeks. Doctor rubbished this saying that the vaccine is inert. He didn't like it when I asked him how it was going to work if inert.

Not going to have one this year, I don't want a repeat performance.

Yes, they were in the study phase and obviously still are if a severe reaction is reported.

In answer to this cold and flu are totally different diseases. The incubation period for the common cold is 24-72 hours and for flu is 48 hours minimum. You may well develop symptoms 15 minutes after the vaccine is administered but that doesn’t mean the vaccine caused it.

Reminds me of a lady suing a friend of mine as she discovered she was pregnant immediately after being sterilised. Obviously she got no where, the egg was already fertilised before her tubes were clipped. The operation prevented future pregnancies not ones already brewing.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

If you read the paperwork provided with both the flu jab and the pneumonia jab you will see that it says that 1 in 10 are likely to experience a fever like reaction, which may last 1-2 days.
I had both injections at 9am yesterday - started feeling feverish in the afternoon, a temperature of 38.6c (normal is 36.4c) by 10 pm and uncontrollable shivering, retired to bed. I am fine today. Always read the paperwork.
dim

Post by dim »

I've never personally know anyone who has actually had flu in my 59 years of life (some people get a bad cold and say it's flu, but it's not)

also, the companies that develop these flu vaccines don't know what flu strain will be present when they develop the flu shot, so they just guess

then .... here in the UK you get the flu shot for free .... nothing is life is for free.... someone is making a lot of money

so, in a nutshell, I don't see the point .... :?
hemo

Post by hemo »

The most common after affect I have is a sore arm for up to 36hrs or so.
I wouldn't wish Flu on any one but a worst enemy (so far can't think of one), though can be defined from a bad cold. The simple inabililty to stand and walk let a lone crawl is a good sign, only once can I think this has occurred to me in 56 years and that was about 4 years ago and that year didn't have the jab.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

dim wrote:I've never personally know anyone who has actually had flu in my 59 years of life (some people get a bad cold and say it's flu, but it's not)

also, the companies that develop these flu vaccines don't know what flu strain will be present when they develop the flu shot, so they just guess

then .... here in the UK you get the flu shot for free .... nothing is life is for free.... someone is making a lot of money

I've had flu (not just man-flu) twice. Both times it flattened me, left some physical damage and took months to fully get over. I wouldn't want it now I'm a gimmer (aged 70) as despite being as butch as a fitter's cat, flu at a later age has a greater potential to cause side-effects that'll kill me off; particularly pneumonia. Sadly I've seen half a dozen such cases in acquaintances of my own age in the last couple of years.

The flu virus for which the jab is designed is an educated guess. ALthough the guess is sometimes wrong, the quacks do try to identify the most likely strain to take off in any particular year. For some reason they look at events in Oz, as this seems to be a source during many years. Why, I don't know.

It's true that a lot of manufacturers of drugs and other pharmaceuticals are money-grubbing profiteers persuading us all to suffer various sheep dips "just in case". Consider the statins con. Nevertheless, some preventative measures are worth the attempt for some vulnerable groups and we must just put up with greedymen making loadsamoney. After all, greedymen make loadsamoney out of every little thing, including endless things you and me use on a daily basis. Should we give up all these things to stop the rascals getting too rich? :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[quote="hemo" The simple inabililty to stand and walk let a lone crawl is a good sign, only once can I think this has occurred to me in 56 years and that was about 4 years ago and that year didn't have the jab.
[/quote]

That pretty well describes my flu experiences - I've had two bad bouts - it puts a strain on the heart - a relative 36 years old died from it.
Incidentally I understand ( maybe I'm wrong and misunderstood a recent radio broadcast ) but developing vaccines isn't particularly rewarding and some large companies don't carry out this particular work for that reason.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

ANTONISH wrote:
hemo wrote: The simple inabililty to stand and walk let a lone crawl is a good sign, only once can I think this has occurred to me in 56 years and that was about 4 years ago and that year didn't have the jab.

That pretty well describes my flu experiences - I've had two bad bouts - it puts a strain on the heart - a relative 36 years old died from it.
Incidentally I understand ( maybe I'm wrong and misunderstood a recent radio broadcast ) but developing vaccines isn't particularly rewarding and some large companies don't carry out this particular work for that reason.

After fixing the bodged quotes. :lol:

I've had, as far as I can recall, two bouts of flu.
It can also be defined as seeing a £10 note on the floor and not having the energy to go and pick it up.
It is quite unlike a cold, however heavy, or "man flu".

I have had the flu jab for years because I am T2 diabetic and so classed as higher risk.
I'm not totally convinced because I am generally in good health, possibly better health than the "average" T2 and certainly better than those who are suffering from a compromised immune system.
However, probably it does give me a slight advantage if they get the strains right.

This year it knocked me back for about a week; I've sometimes had similar reactions in previous years.
I assume that this is my immune system reacting to and fighting the denatured strain of the virus.
This year they've added some extra stuff to make it "more effective" (3 strains for the over 65s instead of the usual 4) and it seems to have knocked me back a bit more than usual.

Remembering that the Spanish Flu in 1919 probably killed more people than the war.
Flu is non-trivial.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Reactions can vary depending on the strains and the individual, from zilch to what I like to call ‘the ghost of flu’. Still a damn sight better than the real thing.

The last bad one I had enabled me to get through an 85 episode historical costume drama in a foreign language with no subtitles, while sipping my way through the years supply of sloe gin. Rather not repeat that.

Those who do not get themselves vaccinated just help to make it riskier for the rest of us. Fact.

As for money making, it’s capitalism and its discipline is as brutal and rigid as any Soviet 5 year plan: You want something done? -somebody has to make money out of it. (Unless of course, you want to rely on charity) Think on when voting! :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In the early days of the flu jab, I got quite sick after having it. I don't know if I already had something, or I got as a result of the jab, but I avoided them for years after.

I've had the flu jab the last few years, though, without any problems. I did notice this year that many more of my colleagues (we get them free at work) complained of mild symptoms after the jab than in past years.

As for having the flu... It's not just the flu, but also secondary infection. Pneumonia is common, for example.

I had the Swine flu in the first epidemic. I also had tonsilitis as a secondary infection. I was off work for 2 weeks and lost almost 2 stone. I have never been sicker in my entire life.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

The are and people are encouraged to make reports whenever they experience any side effects with medicines or medical devices.

Run by the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... ory-agency

Make a report via the yellow card scheme here: https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

The more people do it the better side effects can be identified and tracked
hamster

Post by hamster »

dim wrote:I've never personally know anyone who has actually had flu in my 59 years of life (some people get a bad cold and say it's flu, but it's not)

The Flu strain to counter is advised by the WHO after monitoring strains worldwide. It's not just a guess by profiteers.

You fail to understand how serious Flu is - probably not for you, if you are healthy.
I've had chemotherapy, and my immune system is permanently damaged. A common cold nearly killed me, I ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for 10 days. So yes, for me a Flu shot is a serious benefit. It also costs less than £10, which by comparison to the cost of emergency treatment in hospital looks like a pretty sound investment by the NHS.