Flu Jab - side effects?

Psamathe

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I had measles as a kid in the 50s as did everyone else. It was one of the standard questions you were asked when you joined the forces along with chicken pox etc.

But was yours Rubella or Measles? And have you had mumps? And then, if answering no, have you had MMR vaccination (which are free on the NHS)?

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Measles and chicken pox.
Same as most - if not all - kids had in the 50's.

Not had mumps, but Mrs Mick F did.

MMR didn't exist back then. Children went to "parties" to catch stuff, so we were immune later.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Measles and chicken pox.
Same as most - if not all - kids had in the 50's.

Not had mumps, but Mrs Mick F did.

MMR didn't exist back then. Children went to "parties" to catch stuff, so we were immune later.

So from the MMR you are only protected against one of the 3 leaving you at risk from the other two.

You can get MMR even if you are not a kid (I had mine last year on the NHS, prompted to as a travel vaccination). Seemed they just don't push it at you as you get older.

Ian
softlips

Post by softlips »

Off for my flu jab now. Have to pay for it - although my company reimburse me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I started this thread because I felt a little off colour after my jab.
Gone downhill ever since, and I'm so bad now I'l be seeing the doc later this morning.

I have a feeling I've got a touch of pneumonia.
Had it before so I know the symptoms.

I'm asthmatic and my Ventolin isn't even touching my shortness of breath. My chest aches when I cough - not muscle etc from over-coughing - as I'm not coughing much. Just feel weak, out of breath just standing up, and my pulse is a tad over 80bpm just sitting here with my feet up. No appetite or interest in food, though I ate breakfast because I should have done as I'd not eaten since lunching yesterday.

I feel crap. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

With a bit of luck you can go to bed and sleep a lot for a few days, we are with you
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm getting plenty of sleep. 10hrs+ a night.
Bed at 7pm yesterday and the day before.

Wednesday I went back to bed at 10am and didn't get up until lunchtime, and on Tuesday I had a couple of hours in the afternoon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bad chest infection. Slight rattle in the lungs.

Prednisolone 5mg two tabs to be taken four times a day.
Amoxicillin 500mg one tab to be taken three times a day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Bad chest infection. Slight rattle in the lungs.

Prednisolone 5mg two tabs to be taken four times a day.
Amoxicillin 500mg one tab to be taken three times a day.

If you are on an antibiotic they clearly don't think it is flu. I'd hope any reputable prescriber would not be dishing out antibiotics for viral infections (given the resistance crisis we are seeing).

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Had the over-65s variety (fluad?) 2 days ago at Pharmacy, GP only offering Saturday mornings and that's a CTC ride day! No side effects whatsoever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:If you are on an antibiotic they clearly don't think it is flu. I'd hope any reputable prescriber would not be dishing out antibiotics for viral infections (given the resistance crisis we are seeing).

Not viral.
Not flu.

Chest infection, and as I'm asthmatic it's bad. I'm having difficulty breathing. Ok sitting here with my feet up, but just walking around gets me gasping for air.

Peak flow readings are usually 550 to 600 these days. 650/700 a few short years ago. The meter only goes up to 1000.
Today, I just managed 200 and then coughing my heart up. The doc wouldn't let me try again. :cry:

I must be ill, I wasn't able to walk to the village, let alone cycle there. Mrs Mick F drove me, waited, then drove me home.
I must be very ill ........... not going to the pub this evening like we always do on a Friday. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
softlips

Post by softlips »

Hope you’re better soon Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

D'ya know?
The medication must be taking effect already. :D
Feeling a tiny better now than I've felt all day or even yesterday. Not right by any means and still no appetite.

The doc said it'll be a couple of weeks or more before I'm back on song and back to my normal chipper self.
Antibiotics for five days, and steroids for seven days and go back if I'm not improving enough.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

A bit off -topic, but when I was a child I had Mumps TWICE, yes, that's correct. I had a 'sling' tied around my head to support the swollen glands! - must have been quite a sight :shock:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I usually get a reaction from the flu jab - a bit under par for a few days.
My experience pretty well mirrors that of the Guardian columnist.
I had a flu jab in late 2017 and in early 2018 I had a severe bout of what I would describe as " a coughing flu ". My elder son and a lot of my acquaintances
had it. It took about two months before I felt normal and I have never felt as strong on the bike as I had previously.
The problem with a flu vaccine is that flu evolves so the vaccine may sometimes not be effective.
I'm off for my jab this morning - I live in hope.