Flu Jab - side effects?

softlips

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by softlips »

mercalia wrote:I dont bother with the free flu jab though I can get it for free. I dont seem to get the flu. in fact I can only remmember one bad time years ago in the summer maybe summer flu. I do get colds that last a few days. Seems like many people here having an adverse reaction.

Only had flu twice in my life as far as I remember. Had very bad colds but flu of course is very different. I have the jab due to work, everyone in healthcare should have it.
robgul

Post by robgul »

robgul wrote:Hmm - I had a flu jab at about 1700 today - feel OK so far!

Rob

Minimal pain/tenderness overnight around the area of the jab otherwise no problem.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My issue is "time of year" and not the jab ........ sadly.
Feeling completely crap this morning. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:My issue is "time of year" and not the jab ........ sadly.
Feeling completely crap this morning. :cry:

Just accept it*, spend a lot of time in the bath or in bed
I am exhausted, WALKED 10 km in the rain yesterday :?
Cooking lentil soup to restore myself, got some sprouts too

*one gladly accepts feeling good, heaving lots of energy for no apparent reason
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:I dont bother with the free flu jab though I can get it for free. I dont seem to get the flu. in fact I can only remmember one bad time years ago in the summer maybe summer flu. I do get colds that last a few days. Seems like many people here having an adverse reaction.

Likewise. Others have told me I am now eligible (old enough) but nobody contacted me, I don't remember ever having had flu in the past, but mainly I'm not a great fan of taking every going vaccination, pill, etc. I'll get vaccinations if I have to (e.g. rabies vaccination) but the more "optional ones" I'm less likely to go for.

Same will pills, get a headache and I don't reach for a box of pills but wait for it to go on it's own. When I have dental implants done (on my 3rd at the moment) they always do the "have you taken paracetamol and ibuprofen" before they start and I say "no, they don't help" and they appear with a box and insist.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:

Likewise. Others have told me I am now eligible (old enough) but nobody contacted me, I don't remember ever having had flu in the past, but mainly I'm not a great fan of taking every going vaccination, pill, etc. I'll get vaccinations if I have to (e.g. rabies vaccination) but the more "optional ones" I'm less likely to go for.

Same will pills, get a headache and I don't reach for a box of pills but wait for it to go on it's own. When I have dental implants done (on my 3rd at the moment) they always do the "have you taken paracetamol and ibuprofen" before they start and I say "no, they don't help" and they appear with a box and insist.

Ian

in my case it was the doctors who emailed me
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On the vaccinations jabs et cetera, We are back to the old chestnut on whether you would vaccinate or not.
On vaccinations for children we are hovering just above 90%, I note that Cornwall is below the average.
Once you are below 90% epidemics breakout.
Health workers have the flu jab so they don't spread it around.

I will say the fact that you can come to the conclusion that you don't need it it's because the majority have taken it so you are less likely as an individual to meet someone with a bug
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
horizon

Post by horizon »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On the vaccinations jabs et cetera, We are back to the old chestnut on whether you would vaccinate or not.

Hopefully not. This thread AIUI is about people telling us about their experience of the flu jab. I wouldn't have the jab but I wouldn't intrude on here to start a discussion as to whether you should or shouldn't.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On vaccinations for children we are hovering just above 90%, I note that Cornwall is below the average.
Once you are below 90% epidemics breakout.
Health workers have the flu jab so they don't spread it around.

I will say the fact that you can come to the conclusion that you don't need it it's because the majority have taken it so you are less likely as an individual to meet someone with a bug

Does the herd immunity apply to flu vaccinations given that even if everybody (general public) eligible took-up the vaccination it would be way below the herd immunity level. I thought flu vaccinations were more only to prevent the vulnerable from catching it (i.e. those for whom catching it would be dangerous).

I thought herd immunity levels varied according to the disease e.g. populations tend to quickly acquire zika herd immunity without any medical intervention but for (german) measles you need a 95% vaccination/immunity level (that is the level I've read is required).

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

A Guardian article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... vaccinated

Do read down the page. She writes:
In 2018 I developed flu complications that left me unable to breathe or move and on a ventilator for months. It’s left me with life-changing fatigue and pain

But then the crunch line is:
The year I developed flu complications, I had been vaccinated

Not sure how to interpret that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
"The year I developed flu complications, I had been vaccinated. But while it didn’t protect me that time, it had done for more than 25 years previously. I’ve had the jab ever since I was a child, and it undoubtedly helped me stay well through many winters"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So you take flu vaccine at the start of cold and flu season. You get a mild flu or cold symptoms. It's a side effect of the jab!

Yeah right! There's a name for that logic failure but I can't remember it.

You probably had the bug in your system before the jab it just doesn't come out for a few days. You can't get a small amount of vaccine and somehow a bug in it multiplies fast enough to feel shoot in less than a day. Unless it's an exceptional bug that is.

Herd immunity for a small percentage who get the flu vaccine? No chance. No vac no chance of flu protection.

Any parent who does not vaccinate their kids is irresponsible to a serious degree. Compulsory vaccination now or no school, no childcare and seclusion from any kids groups imho. Off topic though so I'll stop there.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:......
Any parent who does not vaccinate their kids is irresponsible to a serious degree. Compulsory vaccination now or no school, no childcare and seclusion from any kids groups imho. Off topic though so I'll stop there.

I agree but also think that sometimes large sections of the population are overlooked. e.g. MMR jab: when I was young there was no MMR jab. In childhood I caught the R (German Measles then) probably didn't catch one of the M's but certainly didn't get the other M. I only had the MMR jab last year (initiated because I was travelling and it was a recommended vaccination). So for years I've inadvertently been in that pool of unvaccinated.

(Re: Off-topic: It's an informal chat, nobody is urgently seeking specific information and on topic would just be an endless sequence of "I had mine and no side effects" followed by "I had mine and felt lousy", etc., etc., etc. and the Dyson movement is an interesting aspect).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had measles as a kid in the 50s as did everyone else. It was one of the standard questions you were asked when you joined the forces along with chicken pox etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'd say that feeling a bit off-colour isn't a side-effect at all, but a direct result. Vaccination forces the body to fire up its countermeasures, so it's normal that you feel a bit grim; e.g. fever is a countermeasure. The vaccine doesn't contain dead or inactive viruses but just non-viable fragments of virus, so you can't catch anything from it; the symptoms should disappear in a day or two.
Have we got time for another cuppa?