Flu Jab - side effects?

Derekoak

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by Derekoak »

I had the flu jab free as I am over 65. No ill effects at all. I had it for 3 years now. It reduces the chances of vulnerable people getting flu as well as stopping you getting the likely strains. Basically what is rife in Australia is what we get 6 months later.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I pay for my flu jabs as I'm still underage (just) and in all the years of flu shots I've never had any reaction, apart from needle ache, and that is nothing compared to even the best vampire when donating blood - sometimes they are really ouchy !!
horizon

Post by horizon »

recumbentpanda wrote:Those who do not get themselves vaccinated just help to make it riskier for the rest of us. Fact.

In the early days of vaccination, AIUI, you got vaccinated to protect yourself against a disease. Now you get vaccinated to protect other people. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

horizon wrote:
recumbentpanda wrote:Those who do not get themselves vaccinated just help to make it riskier for the rest of us. Fact.

In the early days of vaccination, AIUI, you got vaccinated to protect yourself against a disease. Now you get vaccinated to protect other people. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that.

Eh! Why not, pray?

Should Deadly Lurgy Strain 3A escape from that Porton Down place and go amok, would you suggest any antidote jab be a matter of choice? Should you be allowed to carry the lurgy-bug hither and thither to give to unjabbed others of a similar mind to your own? I suppose it would winnow out the more extreme individualistas and eventually help the remaining humans to be less mucked about by fellows exercising their freedom whilst neglecting their duties.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
horizon

Post by horizon »

I thought their jab would protect the other people? Surely it is the unvaccinated who are at risk?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
531colin

Post by 531colin »

horizon wrote:I thought their jab would protect the other people? Surely it is the unvaccinated who are at risk?

Google "Herd immunity"
The basic premise is that some of the population are not suitable candidates for vaccination, examples include babies under 6 months and people whose immune system is suppressed by illness or cancer therapy.
If most of the population is immunised then transmission of disease from person to person is much reduced, and any outbreaks are small and short-lived, protecting those who cannot protect themselves.
If you Google something like " diseases wiped out by vaccination" you will find lists of some fairly horrible infections which have been more or less eradicated from several countries by vaccination...measles, mumps, whooping cough, polio, smallpox, TB.
Of course, you can exercise your right to go to some third world country, get yourself infected and bring it back home.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the maths is a bit like that which applies to chain reactions and 'critical masses'. A key factor is how many people any one infected person is likely to come across (whilst contagious) and therefore might infect. If this number is high enough and the proportion that are unvaccinated is also high enough, you get disease that persists, spreads and is likely to infect anyone who is not vaccinated.

The worrying thing is that, today, the number and distribution of the potentially infected can be enormous; all it takes is a few contagious people to sneeze on public transport in (say) London, with unvaccinated folk present, and within a few days there would probably be infected people in every country in the world.

Things like colds and 'flu are bad enough; they will kill, but only folk who are vulnerable in some way are at real risk. So far we have arguably been lucky; the most transmissible viral diseases have also not been the most lethal. But it is only a matter of time before there is a 'perfect storm' and we get a disease that is highly transmissible, that folk are not vaccinated against, and that will kill.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You can consider bugs according to their infectiousness and their pathogenicity.
When you get one that is both highly infectious and highly pathogenic you can get serious epidemics; the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918-1920 killed a lot of people, estimates vary wildly up to 100 million people worldwide, with deaths in remote islands and Arctic.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just let you all know that I'm bad again. Dr's appointment in half an hour from now.
Not really been properly well since the start of this thread in October.

Blocked ears were syringed in early November and still putting in drops to keep them ok, and I've had to increase my inhaler use over the last couple of weeks. Not been right at all since Christmas.

Appetite has completely gone, and so has my get-up-and-go. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
dim

Post by dim »

watch the documentary called Vaxxed .... they have been scrubbing this documentary off the internet, but I found it on a facebook link (I don't do facebook, but it allows you to watch it without a facebook account) ....

https://www.facebook.com/Truthseekersinc/videos/vaxxed-%C6%92rom-%C3%A7over-up-to-%C3%A7atastroph%C3%A8/611757975922528/
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Just let you all know that I'm bad again. Dr's appointment in half an hour from now.
Not really been properly well since the start of this thread in October.

Blocked ears were syringed in early November and still putting in drops to keep them ok, and I've had to increase my inhaler use over the last couple of weeks. Not been right at all since Christmas.

Appetite has completely gone, and so has my get-up-and-go. :cry:

Hey Mick sorry to hear this.
I know a couple of folk feeling under par.
The rain and wind don't help get up and go on a bike.
And it has been wet in the West.
Dull too.
Perhaps a little Vit D supplement might help.

Signs of spring in Cornwall maybe. Certainly the birds have tuned up a bit round here - always a welcome harbinger!
And the odd primrose carries a flower.

Hang on in there.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Despite having a flu jab I am recovering from what I believe has been a dose of full blown flu which started Boxing Day. Fluid in my lungs after about 5 days caused awful coughing combined with a Flu like head which I can only remember having some 50 years ago. The Quack gave me some antibiotics to clear up the chest and they seem to have done the trick. Last night I had the first decent nights sleep for 3 weeks. Worst thing was that I was unable to see my Mrs in the Care home for fear of passing it on.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Doc prescribed steroid tablets and a better "preventer" inhaler. He called it a 21st Century Inhaler!
It's pink Fostair 100/6
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6318/smpc

Two puffs twice a day, or even two puffs four times a day. Meanwhile, keep taking the tablets ......... two three times a day with food.
This doesn't help as I'm not hungry and have only been eating once or sometimes twice a day!
I'm going to have to force myself to eat.
If no better in a few days, go back.

Good news is that my chest is clear. Just my asthma playing up as I've a long-standing cold.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:Doc prescribed steroid tablets and a better "preventer" inhaler. He called it a 21st Century Inhaler!
It's pink Fostair 100/6
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6318/smpc

Two puffs twice a day, or even two puffs four times a day. Meanwhile, keep taking the tablets ......... two three times a day with food.
This doesn't help as I'm not hungry and have only been eating once or sometimes twice a day!
I'm going to have to force myself to eat.
If no better in a few days, go back.

Good news is that my chest is clear. Just my asthma playing up as I've a long-standing cold.

Mrs rjb is on the same inhaler, doc changed her previous ones about 3 months ago. I've noticed a considerable improvement when she's out on the tandem now. Gives me a chance to put my feet up.
How many "athletes" have been prescribed this now :lol:

Sounds like you need a holiday. Hope your back to normal soon. :D
Last edited by rjb on 13 Jan 2020, 3:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Take it easy Mick, and maybe lay off the 3 pints :) Say every ever day :?
I hope the missus is keeping you well behaved................probably a difficult task :)

And do exactly what they tell you to do!
Knitting or crosswords would be a start :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.