Flu Jab - side effects?

Mick F
Spambuster

Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by Mick F »

Had my annual jab down at the local health centre on Saturday.
Sunday had me feeling as if I was going down with a cold-sort-of-thing. General malaise and achey. Was sort of ok by Sunday evening, but I was off to bed early.

Rubbish hight's sleep last night and up at 0330 then back to bed for a couple of hours mid morning. Up for lunch. Just walked the dog for a short ramble after the rain stopped.

Still not feeling quite right. Nothing I can put my finger on specifically, but it's a sort of cold without the sore throat and the runny nose.
Side effects?? .............. or just "that time of year"??

Been having the flue jab for more years than I can count - at risk group - asthma - but it's not made me feel poorly before. I know they change the make-up and strain of antibodies etc each year.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Re: Flu Jab - side effects?

Post by bikepacker »

I had my jab on Saturday morning and in the evening I was achy and very cold. Yesterday I was achy but still set out on a 40 mile ride but had to return home after 9 miles as I did not feel right. Got home after a slow 9 miles back and had a really bad headache for the rest of the day. Today I feel much better.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's hope for tomorrow! :D

Glad it's not just me then.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I went into Tesco to the Pharmacy to pick up my meds and they offered a free flu jab which saved me going for an appointment at the quacks. No ill effects.

Alan
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mrs P has those same symptoms but, she’s snoring now as didn’t sleep well last night. :D
We’ve not been for the flu jab yet though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've had jab for very many years because of asthma. Similarly, felt unwell this time. Presumably a bit of flu? My arm ached, too.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've been having them for some time now more years than I can remember.
Splenectomy so at risk group.
About three years ago felt slightly off performance For about three weeks on the bike, but no cold like symptoms.
Yet to have my jab, Two weeks is the earliest at my GP.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

I had flu jab Saturday morning too, then 25 mile cycle ride, felt great all day. Very poor sleep all night.

Sunday felt dreadful all day, just managed a gentle ramble.

Today I’m 70 and feel good again apart from sore arm still.

Apparently over 65s this year having a different stronger dose age so maybe that’s why some of us had side effects.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yvonned wrote:I had flu jab Saturday morning too, then 25 mile cycle ride, felt great all day. Very poor sleep all night.

Sunday felt dreadful all day, just managed a gentle ramble.

Today I’m 70 and feel good again apart from sore arm still.

Apparently over 65s this year having a different stronger dose age so maybe that’s why some of us had side effects.

Yes - my wife and I have different jabs. Hers (under 65) is not available here yet. I had mine a week past Saturday. On the Monday I did a 75km ride.
John
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

Feeling a bit ill for a day or 2 after a flu jab is quite common and is often due to the immune response provoked by the vaccine. Your body sees the vaccine as flu and mounts an appropriate response, developing antibodies ready for the day you meet the real thing. Fever etc is part of the bodies` defence mechanism.

If it`s anything worse than this, chances are that you`ve managed to catch a cold or similar at about the same time as your jab.

Some people turn out to be allergic to the vaccine, but this will usually be apparent fairly quickly and have different symptoms.

Usual self care - paracetamol, ibuprofen or similar, putting your feet up or fresh air to taste will see you right.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Hmm - I had a flu jab at about 1700 today - feel OK so far!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
softlips

Post by softlips »

Most illness following the flu jab is just coincidental. It’s that time of year when people get colds etc.
rjb

Post by rjb »

No problems after my flu jab until a week later when i developed a rash - not on the arm but on the cheeks of my bottom. Googling indicates hives is a possible but uncommen side affect. I still find sitting uncomfortable but it is beginning to clear. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Feeling far better today. :D

A bit sniffly, but that's seasonal.

Off on a ride this morning, so not only has my "illness" cleared up, but also has the weather.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont bother with the free flu jab though I can get it for free. I dont seem to get the flu. in fact I can only remmember one bad time years ago in the summer maybe summer flu. I do get colds that last a few days. Seems like many people here having an adverse reaction.