Concussion and head injury

Oldjohnw

Re: Concussion and head injury

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Jan 2020, 10:33am

Glad for progress. Best wishes and go well.
John

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 19 Jan 2020, 11:23am

Hi,
Glad to see you are recovering.
Pedalec Sounds like a really good idea.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 19 Jan 2020, 5:53pm

Thanks, but I don't think I'm quite ready for the electric solution just yet, maybe in 5-6 years time if I am spared: I'll be in my mid 70s then.... My legs, lungs and heart seem to be up to full strength, just the old head that needs that bit of TLC (I wear a lid now).

Did another short and gentle ride this afternoon, still feeling quite fit. I'm not pushing it hard: not more than 10mph on the level.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 25 Jan 2020, 12:50pm

Was riding a forest trail and then one of the fellas in our group put his hand on my shoulder and said please sit down. I said why ? He said you've just come off and split your head. I was in disbelief -- he said check out the bandage I wrapped round your noggin!

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 27 Jan 2020, 12:58pm

Out of hospital now

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 29 Jan 2020, 6:47pm

Cowsham wrote:Out of hospital now
Sounds nasty - all the best with your recovery :wink: . I take it you needed stitches and probably a CT scan, especially if you were knocked out. And if so, the CT probably showed everything normal: that's what happened to me. Be on the alert if you get any symptoms like I had (dizzyness, weakness in one leg and/or arm, incontinence...) - even if they don't come about for several weeks. If so, go to your GP - or to A&E.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 29 Jan 2020, 11:08pm

661-Pete wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Out of hospital now
Sounds nasty - all the best with your recovery :wink: . I take it you needed stitches and probably a CT scan, especially if you were knocked out. And if so, the CT probably showed everything normal: that's what happened to me. Be on the alert if you get any symptoms like I had (dizzyness, weakness in one leg and/or arm, incontinence...) - even if they don't come about for several weeks. If so, go to your GP - or to A&E.

My ct showed a couple of small bruises or bleeds on the brain -- a report coming back from Belfast consultant who saw the scan said I should be in a coma! The local hospital said it couldn't be right and got another opinion which seemed more sensible.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 30 Jan 2020, 9:20am

Spent 4 days in hospital being monitored every 4 hrs

Had the stitches out on Monday -- looking for a better helmet now.

How long from the initial injury was it when you noticed odd stuff going on dizziness, weakness etc? ---- as for incontinence - I was hoping the knock on the head would somehow cure my overactive bladder. :lol:

After getting out of hospital I did feel a bit weak and lethargic but I suspect most of that was from the laying in a bed most of my hospital stay although I did try to walk about as much as I could -- I asked about exercise and if it was OK to go to the gym etc wrt blood rushing around the head, blood pressure etc ( mine is normally low anyway ) to which the consultant replied exercise is normally a good thing for brain injury recovery so that was encouraging.

At the moment a week after the incident I feel good and looking forward to getting out for a cycle along the coast on Friday.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Jan 2020, 6:58pm

I can tell you exactly, since I kept a diary - and my account may worry you, but please don't let it! Your situation may be wholly different. I fell from the step-ladder on 6 Sept, the following night my head was spinning all night (though I was in little pain) but this appeared to clear up the next day. I suffered from lumbar back pain for several days after that, but that's a separate issue and soon cleared up (with help from an osteopath).

I got occasional headaches for the next few weeks - on some days I took paracetamol. In early October I note that I had a few brief dizzy spells. Also in mid-October (that's just over a month from the fall) I note that I had to take paracetamol every day for a week - not more than 1g per day. But otherwise I felt OK: was able to drive, cycle, do just about everything.

It was on 6 November (exactly 2 months on) that I first had difficulty cycling: I could mount the bike but couldn't easily start, except downhill. Two days later even that didn't work. I set off cycling downhill (on a quiet road, luckily) but after a few hundred yards I felt I was losing control, so I stopped and then fell over, trapping my right leg under the bike. I could not get up from this position, my wife and a passerby had to help me up. I walked the bike home from there and that was the last time I cycled until I recovered. From then on, until 15 December, I was in a poor state: could only walk a hundred yards or so, totally unable to mount the bike, frequent collapses, and minor incontinence. My handwriting and typing also went seriously awry. Saw the doctor several times and went to A&E once (they weren't much help - they just gave me an antibiotic :shock: ). I was still under the impression that what I had was "post concussion syndrome" andd that it would clear up of its own accord.

It was my sister and b-i-l (both of them retired doctors: sister was a consultant, b-i-l was a GP) who, when they heard of my predicament, alerted me that my symptoms were not consistent with post-concussion: more like a minor stroke. By that time I'd got fed up with inaction from my GP and A&E, so that's when I booked an appointment with the Nuffield (at my own cost). However, apparently magically, my symptoms virtually disappeared on 15 December, just before my appointment. I was able to walk and cycle a bit, once more. Nevertheless, when I went to the Nuffield doctor, he wasn't satisfied and recommended me for an MRI scan on 31 December (which I'd have had to wait months for, on the NHS). This scan showed up my haematoma, so I was sent straight to the NHS hospital and had my operation on 3 January.

The (head-only) MRI costs £395 at the Nuffield btw. Also I had to pay the doctor's fees. Still, money well spent!

The rest, as they say, is history. I'm fully recovered now, I think, though I still have to go for a follow-up CT scan (on the NHS).

Hope you don't have to go through what I went through, though. I went through several weeks of merry hell. The fact that they mentioned a 'bleed on the brain', even if erroneously, is a bit alarming: perhaps you could find out whether it was actually in brain tissue, or beneath the Dura Mater (the outermost layer of the meninges). The latter is more common after a head injury, and less serious. At least, that's what they told me.

As to being told "you should be in a coma" - that's more or less what my anaesthetist told me (I think - it was shortly before he put me under). Not the most encouraging of words as you prepare for theatre! And why it was the anaesthetist who said this, I don't know.

Sorry about the long post. Hope it's helpful.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 30 Jan 2020, 8:01pm

Thanks for the detail -- I've had no real issues so far. Maybe a little mild headache just after the crash but I blamed most of that on sore neck muscles. A week on and I feel more energetic but still keeping a look out for symptoms --

Have you sourced a good helmet yet? -- I'm thinking about one with a visor to prevent the helmet being pulled up over the head as it strikes the ground or whatever ( as mine did I'm told ). A full faced one can be too hot and impairs the vision too much. -- a light vented half faced helmet ( like a motorcycle one) would be good. I feel current bike helmets are inadequate for the job but are better than no helmet.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Jan 2020, 8:37pm

I wear a helmet now, although I'm still not entirely convinced of their efficacy (but that's a remark that ought to be in the H*lm*t Thread). But it's only a cheapo one from Halfords. I think the important thing, to avoid it getting displaced as you hit the ground, is to have the chin strap tight enough (so many cyclists I see, don't). But too tight makes it uncomfortable? I've little experience of helmet-wearing, as you know, perhaps someone else can give more info?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Feb 2020, 11:55am

Hi,
Trying not to venture into helmet land too much.
In my opinion it is important to have a helmet that fits comfortably and also most importantly comes down over your forehead not sitting on top of your head.
So if you have a big funny head like me, it needs to be deep enough to accommodate all that empty space :mrgreen:
After breaking a helmet in my last fall, I think you have made the right decision there.
Sounds like you're feeling a little bit more chirpy than you have been, back to your usual self :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 6 Feb 2020, 4:00pm

661-Pete wrote:I wear a helmet now, although I'm still not entirely convinced of their efficacy (but that's a remark that ought to be in the H*lm*t Thread). But it's only a cheapo one from Halfords. I think the important thing, to avoid it getting displaced as you hit the ground, is to have the chin strap tight enough (so many cyclists I see, don't). But too tight makes it uncomfortable? I've little experience of helmet-wearing, as you know, perhaps someone else can give more info?

I see some of those Giro helmets have a nice broad chin strap and a deep bowl -- will get a look at one of them next time I'm in the big smoke.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 26 Jun 2020, 10:14am

Anyone have a slight disconnection with pre crash memories?

Sometimes I'm telling someone about a situation that happened before the crash and mid way through I have to stop and think about it to recall it correctly much to the annoyance of the person I'm telling the anecdote to.

Also other things I may not have been too bothered about have been almost completely forgotten, like the new kettle ( that shows the temperature by changing colours ) my wife bought about 2 years ago and right away burned the bottom out of. She bought another last week and asked me if I remembered the last one. It took some prompting but I do just about remember it. ( maybe that's normal for me I can't remember :? )

You start to worry what else I'm I forgetting, is there anything very important I've forgotten -- I'm super careful not to ask questions like " how's your mother keeping ?" to a casual acquaintance just in case she'd died and I'd forgotten. :oops:

It's a little disconcerting but once a memory has been recalled I can access it a lot faster the next time I have to. Playing music wasn't too bad but there's a big test for that coming up as we get out of lock down.