Concussion and head injury

PDQ Mobile

Re: Concussion (?)

Postby PDQ Mobile » 6 Dec 2019, 10:26am

661-Pete wrote:I need to post an update: things are getting more serious.

I thought I was well on the mend, until last Sunday evening (3rd), when I suffered what I thought was a heavy cold. The cold had more or less cleared up the following morning, but now I find I can hardly mount the bike. Once I'm on it, I'm OK: it's the getting on.

It came to a head this afternoon when I gave up and walked the bike home. It must be down to my balance I suppose. When not on the bike I'm almost normal. Anyway, the doctor (on Tuesday) said, if it gets worse, go to A&E. Will probably do that next week. Will keep you guys updated.

I wish you well.
Good luck.
We have missed your well considered posts.
(And mycological knowledge!)

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Dec 2019, 5:36pm

Hi all.

I suppose I ought to give a brief update.

Things have been rather rough for me these past few weeks: still the dizziness at tmes along with other problems like poor coordination and slight incontinence. Not something I'd wish on anyone! I still think it all stems from the cracked head I got back in September. Medics have not been an awful lot of help: next NHS appointment isn't until second week January! And Private healthcare (Nuffield) hasn't been much better!

So I'm staying off the internet mostly until things get resolved.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Dec 2019, 5:48pm

Pete, that sounds pretty rotten. Hope you fully recover soon.

Last week I went walking with a lot of 50 to 60 year olds who were quite fit in the Atlas Mountains. On the fitness side at 77 I had no bother, but I noticed that my agility and balance were not as good as theirs. Crossing streams by throwing a rock into the centre and using it as a step was often dodgy and I had to constantly keep my eye on the footing. You don't break an ankle up there.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 7 Dec 2019, 11:50pm

the combination of a cold which by itself can cause some blockage to the ear and hence reduced balance,
plus the residual effects of the fall which as Geomannie says, can shift "stuff" around in the inner ear also causing balance issues.
The sum of several minor effects can lead to major problems, which is why world leaders should be taking climate change much much seriously, as individually maybe a bit of melted ice, a few trees cut down, a few cows farting don't kill the planet, but added together we could reach tipping point.
Get well soon Pete

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Dec 2019, 12:17am

Pete
It all sounds like extreme concussion and will settle down in time I feel sure,get well soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 6 Jan 2020, 6:15pm

Another update, this time I hope resolved. :)

I got myself an MRI at the local Nuffield (at my expense :( ) and they told me to go straight to the local general hospital - despite the fact that I've been feeling markedly better these past few weeks. Anyway I ended up being transferred to the Royal Sussex County in Brighton, and last Friday they operated on a chronic subdural haematoma - whatever that means (blood accumulated under the skull apparently). Anyway that's all been drained out now and I'm back home. I'll need to take it easy for a while - I'm not allowed to drive but when I asked the Occupational Therapist about cycling she said, OK but take it carefully at first. I'll not be going any distance for a while!

Oh and I've decided that when I get back to cycling, I'll have to be lidded from now on - despite my dislike of the things. Ah well!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 6 Jan 2020, 6:25pm

661-Pete wrote:Another update, this time I hope resolved. :)

Well done for actively pursuing this - too many let things slide (aided by long NHS waiting times) leading to a worse outcome. Get well soon!
"42"

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Jan 2020, 6:51pm

Welcome back on board Pete
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Jan 2020, 6:55pm

Pete
Glad to hear you're well and recovering :)
I cycle therefore I am.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jan 2020, 7:08pm

Disgrace that you had to fund the MRI yourself Pete. That happened to us too. Medical incompetence and someone husbanding their budget no doubt

Anyway, a speedy recovery to you.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 6 Jan 2020, 8:17pm

al_yrpal wrote:Disgrace that you had to fund the MRI yourself Pete. That happened to us too. Medical incompetence and someone husbanding their budget no doubt
Thanks - but - no please don't go dissing the NHS part of it. It's clear that when I went for my first (NHS) hospital appointment the doctor I saw misunderstood my symptoms - she gave me penicillin which was useless. Maybe I didn't tell her the right things - it's very easy to mis-describe one's symptoms! But everyone else in the NHS has cared for me in an exemplary manner. The treatment last week at the (NHS) RSCH was excellent - apart from an annoying 3-day wait for the op. Pity about the food though... :|

I agree that if I'd gone the NHS way all the time I'd have had to wait longer for the MRI. The nuffield cost me about as much as - say - a medium cost bike. Money well worth spending, as it turned out!

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 6 Jan 2020, 8:38pm

Welcome back.
Pleased you resolved it.
Go steady.

Nothing's changed in the intervening period!! :shock:

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Jan 2020, 11:16pm

Hi,
Take it easy :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

661-Pete

Re: Concussion and head injury

Postby 661-Pete » 19 Jan 2020, 9:11am

Further update - all looking good at the moment, I feel fine apart from the occasional slight headache (which my consultant told me, is quite normal). And I'm back cycling. Not any great distance or speed at the moment, I've done round trips of around 6 miles so far. And I restored my saddle to its normal height - more comfortable! Tomorrow I intend to do something more ambitious, a 10-mile round trip with a 2-hour break in the middle. Mrs P will accompany me and there are no significant hills.

I've also decided to cut back, and drop eventually, the antidepressants for the time being. A good opportunity.

reohn2

Re: Concussion and head injury

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jan 2020, 9:26am

Take it easy Pete,glad to see you doing well :)
Maybe time to start thinking about an e-bike perhaps :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.