A case for (mens) saddle redesign

briansnail

A case for (mens) saddle redesign

Post by briansnail »

Well documented is the possible problem with cycling saddles.There is a possibility of nerve damage and reduced blood flow to the perineum. This could result in ED. Science as always is full of conflicting advice. Why take a chance?. Surely saddles could be sold with a channel in the middle. This might reduce possible damage. If there was also a small back on the saddle where the sacrum nestles it might help transmit force more effectively. I was looking at vintage bikes (Colnago Bianchi and Gios) Someone sneaked in a 70's Raleigh chopper. Wherever did that come from ?.However the Raleigh seat did have a seat back support post.

"If you have a Bicycle and a Library-you have everything"........Cicero
reohn2

Re: A case for (mens) saddle redesign

Post by reohn2 »

Briansnail
I don't know what you're taking but it's good stuff :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve recently learned on this forum ED is something to do with painting Spa frames and if you can’t find the right saddle then there is a little blue pill. :)
If only there was a saddle meeting your description :idea:
1B01DE84-B8D0-44F3-9F15-E8E29E606119.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

briansnail wrote:Someone sneaked in a 70's Raleigh chopper. Wherever did that come from ?.However the Raleigh seat did have a seat back support post.
:D :D

Did someone mention a Raleigh Chopper? :D :D

Try riding one as an adult, riding over 1,500miles on one, as well as doing a JOGLE towing a heavy trailer.
No real issues with any of the bike. It was summer of 2010 and the saddle was a bit sweaty at times.

The rear seat may have had a back support ............. but it wasn't a Back Support in the slightest. The Sissy Bars - as they are called - provided suspension for the seat. It was hinged at the seatpost and the bars went up and down via a spring system into the rear of the frame.

Main problems with a Chopper, are ........
One: Wheelies as the weight is right at the back and the front lifts at times.
Two: They weigh a ton.
Three: The brakes are rubbish.
Mick F. Cornwall
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Mick F wrote:
briansnail wrote:Someone sneaked in a 70's Raleigh chopper. Wherever did that come from ?.However the Raleigh seat did have a seat back support post.
:D :D

Did someone mention a Raleigh Chopper? :D :D

Try riding one as an adult, riding over 1,500miles on one, as well as doing a JOGLE towing a heavy trailer.
No real issues with any of the bike. It was summer of 2010 and the saddle was a bit sweaty at times.

The rear seat may have had a back support ............. but it wasn't a Back Support in the slightest. The Sissy Bars - as they are called - provided suspension for the seat. It was hinged at the seatpost and the bars went up and down via a spring system into the rear of the frame.

Main problems with a Chopper, are ........
One: Wheelies as the weight is right at the back and the front lifts at times.
Two: They weigh a ton.

The 3 speed Sturmey was occasionally rubbish. I remember as a teenager having to ride around in high 3rd gear for months on end. It cramped my style a lot!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

This thread wins the game, possibly the internet

from erectile disfunction via spa cycles, choppers and sturmey archer hubs in just 5 posts.
Sweep
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

And just to round it all off, back to the beginning again: at 13 I wasn't even remotely aware of ED, my focus was mainly sweets, pellet guns, and pulling wheelies in front of girls. The Chopper was my world. Even stuck in 3rd gear :lol:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:Main problems with a Chopper, are ........
<snip>

I guess you had an improved model if they were merely "rubbish"...

To be far, back before alloy wheels brakes on anything I ever rode were a bit hit-and-miss at best, unless it was raining in which case they were miss-or-miss-more.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

briansnail wrote:Well documented is the possible problem with cycling saddles.There is a possibility of nerve damage and reduced blood flow to the perineum. This could result in ED. Science as always is full of conflicting advice. Why take a chance?. Surely saddles could be sold with a channel in the middle. This might reduce possible damage. If there was also a small back on the saddle where the sacrum nestles it might help transmit force more effectively. I was looking at vintage bikes (Colnago Bianchi and Gios) Someone sneaked in a 70's Raleigh chopper. Wherever did that come from ?.However the Raleigh seat did have a seat back support post.

This doesn't have a channel in the middle, but I think it does the other stuff you want...

No need for strange padded trousers and no chafing. Though to be honest the main comfort boon for me is no weight on my upper body and no need to look up to see where I'm going while still getting good aero. I'm okay on a conventional (Brooks leather) saddle up to about 40 miles without padded shorts as far as the undercarriage goes,

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...