Knee Pain

Jdsk

Re: Knee Pain

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Bruised Ulna nerve which affects the thumb index second...

The ulnar nerve supplies the other side of the hand:

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Bruised Ulna nerve which affects the thumb index second...

Jonathan

Whatever the thumb and first finger nerve is I hit it once doing something stupid as usual. Bending the hardened tip of a large screwdriver. There was a sound like a gun shot and my left thumb went numb. The tip of the screwdriver must have hit my watch strap on my left wrist cos there was not even a mark on the skin. It hit the strap on the same side as the thumb. The feeling came back fairly quickly around 10 mins but about a week later it felt tender and had pins and needles mainly on the thumb but extended up the index finger too. Took about 4 months to return to normal.
I am here. Where are you?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Both hands were affected but mostly right-hand thumb index and middle finger, so what nerve supplies these?
Actually the whole of both hands were affected with pins and needles and Pain whilst doing small amount of work.
So what does a deep ulnar nerves do?
Bruising of the nerve IIRC was determined after three trips to the hospital, Needles inserted into hands.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote:Whatever the thumb and first finger nerve is I hit it once doing something stupid as usual. Bending the hardened tip of a large screwdriver. There was a sound like a gun shot and my left thumb went numb. The tip of the screwdriver must have hit my watch strap on my left wrist cos there was not even a mark on the skin. It hit the strap on the same side as the thumb. The feeling came back fairly quickly around 10 mins but about a week later it felt tender and had pins and needles mainly on the thumb but extended up the index finger too. Took about 4 months to return to normal.

Sounds like the median nerve, same one as in carpal tunnel syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_nerve

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 25 Sep 2020, 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Both hands were affected but mostly right-hand thumb index and middle finger, so what nerve supplies these?

Diagram for sensory distribution as above.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So what does a deep ulnar nerves do?

The ulnar nerve also has motor functions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve#Motor

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Bruising of the nerve IIRC was determined after three trips to the hospital, Needles inserted into hands.

Sounds like nerve conduction studies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerve_conduction_study
They can tell you about the site and nature of problems and about recovery.

Jonathan
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Thanks again everyone for your help. The story so far...

Knee better, still feel a bit of something in there but it is not painful, and I can cycle (and run) again. I've been doing 40 minutes on an indoor trainer every day for about 6 weeks, and that feels ok. Not been for a long ride yet.

I spotted this video on youtube, which seems to agree with the thought here, and gives another perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGMRtJ5LIc

As a test plan : I put my saddle down 50mm from the bike fit. Then cycled 40 minutes. Then put the saddle up 3mm ready for the following day. And so on. The first few settings felt low and a bit cramped. Then it felt ok. Then one morning it felt different, I felt like I was reaching for the pedal, and my hips rocked a little bit. That was probably the "too high" point. So I put it down 3mm, and tried that for a few days. It feels smooth, and I pedal right round the bottom. So far so good. I could probably put it down another 3mm or so and feel fine.

The photos are all from the new setting. Stills taken from a video, whilst pedalling quite hard at about 90rpm. Looks like I still point my toes, even when I push a high gear, and try to put my heel down. But the leg looks about right I think. Then again, maybe I just got back to my old position, and it felt familiar. It is all very subjective.

So far so good, and thanks for all your comments.
Attachments
P1100745.JPG
P1100754.JPG
P1100748.JPG
Last edited by PaulS on 25 Nov 2020, 10:06am, edited 2 times in total.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sounds like you have got it going the right way.
Don't get impatient and go for a long ride on a cold, wet day!