Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

DevonDamo

Re: seat riser - leg over prob

Post by DevonDamo »

gregoryoftours wrote:It's actually less that they're designed to be fitted with a bit of post up, but that installing them down to the top cap/collar can result in the action binding. This is especially true if the tolerances are a bit sloppy between the frame and the post so the seat clamp is done up tight to compensate. It's best to use carbon assembly paste with a dropper post so that less clamping force is needed, and clamp a couple of inches below the top cap.

That still doesn't ring any bells with me. I've never heard any manufacturer advise against installing a dropper post all the way into the frame until the top cap is touching. I've just searched the online manuals and can confirm that KS Lev, PNW and OneUp don't mention it and I installed both my X-fusion and Tranz X posts, so I know they don't advise against it. They all mention the golden rule which applies to all seat posts - i.e. make sure it goes to the minimum insertion depth, or you risk breaking your frame. If you've got any references to where the 'don't fully insert' advice comes from, I'd be keen to see as my Tranz X is indeed installed all the way into my XC bike's frame but, touch wood, has worked flawlessly.

Obviously, over-tightening the seat clamp isn't a good idea, but over-tightening anything never is - so assembly paste is usually a better bet than grease to prevent the post corroding in.
gregoryoftours

Re: Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Post by gregoryoftours »

I was mistaken about manufacturers advising against installing down to the collar, but we have had a few instances where raising the base level of the post in the frame a little has cured the problem of a dropper not fully extending. It is a known problem that a tight clamp can cause them to bind, but some posts seem to be more sensitive to this when clamped down near the collar. I'm not sure why but I wonder if it might compress a seal located there, or the post is more easily deformed near the end of the outer tube.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Another alternative - don't want to buy a whole new bike if I can help it. Is there a Mixte or other step-through frame available, which would take all my Dawes Galaxy bits
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

gregoryoftours wrote:I was mistaken about manufacturers advising against installing down to the collar, but we have had a few instances where raising the base level of the post in the frame a little has cured the problem of a dropper not fully extending. It is a known problem that a tight clamp can cause them to bind, but some posts seem to be more sensitive to this when clamped down near the collar. I'm not sure why but I wonder if it might compress a seal located there, or the post is more easily deformed near the end of the outer tube.

Ah, fair enough. I'm fairly certain there's no problem with dropping them in all the way to the top cap, as I've disassembled both of mine and there's nothing problematic about the top end of the tube in engineering terms. If anything it's the least worrisome part, because if it's clamped there, it will have almost zero leverage on it from your bodyweight, so even if you overtightened the clamp, you're unlikely to do any damage that couldn't be fixed by simply loosening it again.

I wanted to make sure about this both for my own peace of mind, but also in case it figured in the OP's calculations about fitting one to his frame. However, it sounds like he's now going for a lower step-over height frame, which is probably the better solution.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

wearwell wrote:Another alternative - don't want to buy a whole new bike if I can help it. Is there a Mixte or other step-through frame available, which would take all my Dawes Galaxy bits

Seem to recall seeing older Mixte frame Galaxies and Horizons - you can most likely find a bike/frame through a web search or your local bike recycling centre.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
wearwell

geriatric cycling: pedals

Post by wearwell »

Have decided to settle for having to step over laid down bike for getting on/off. I'm sure I'll get used to it!
Still looking for Mixte frame but no hurry
But SPDs gotta go - too much effort twisting in and out and risk of falling.
Have bought cheapo Thermalite MTB pedals. Brilliant!
Don't miss SPDs at all except for the extra pull you can get on a hill if you are desperate.
Instead have got to get back into standing on pedals but seem to have lost the knack. Possibly upper arm strength. Press-ups called for!
Golflad

Post by Golflad »

I have same problem. After a lot of trying different ways I now can get on/off my bike thus :- Get on by tipping bike towards; get off by tipping bike away. Works for me fine. 77 next Monday.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Having same problem my bicycle is tilted over and then away we go.

I have had quite a few muscular skeletal exercises and things including stretches twisting and even one legged eyes closed and raised one foot off the floor.

Maybe Google will have some gentle self help exercises you could try.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Can't point to a specific example but I seem to have noticed several mixte frames of good quality (531 frames etc) appearing on various Facebook selling group pages. If thats your thing try retro or classic groups. Definately seen a Dawes Galaxy somewhere this week.
gerry84

Post by gerry84 »

I'm 85. Ten yesrs ago I was advised to get rid of my bike with a crossbar, since I frequently had to visit my physio. So I bought a second hand mixte frame, about 60 years old, and transferred all the Galaxy components to it. I also have a Moulton AM, which is even easier to mount.
mac

Post by mac »

Mixte, ladies, or low step over frame, if you want to continue cycling.......but there is another alternative way of keeping fit which is catching on lately......kick scooters, ones with pneumatic tyres & two good brakes.

I lost all my fitness some time ago, & don't seem to be able to regain it, plus I moved to a very hilly area, where I've had to walk up the hills - I now ride what are known as hybrid kick scooters, this is allowing me to at least regain some fitness, & get me back out into the countryside under my own power - might be worth taking a look.
Now into 'Boots & Scoots'.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...just measured them, so Brompton 55cm, Moulton TSR, 60cm
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

At 73 flexibility one of the few problems I don't have! But will no doubt come .... and I have long thought that mixte would be useful. Nice ones do come up for sale now and again.
E.g. I would happily ride this one now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Roya ... 635-2958-0

Usual disclaimer - not mine, no interest.

Hybrid kick scooters look interesting - presumably legality issue remains a grey area?