Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

foxyrider

Re: Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Post by foxyrider »

toontra wrote:In the longer term may be worth considering a step - through frame. Something like an Airnimal would solve the problem.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G950F using hovercraft full of eels.

I don't have any current 'leg over' issues but i do appreciate the low 'step through' by Chameleon offers, especially when its loaded up.

How about a 'dropper' seat post and sliding on from the rear? Once you are in front of the saddle you can then raise the post and presto! you are on your way.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Halla

Post by Halla »

A number of years ago we were told that it was essential to warm up before exercise, then we were told it did not matter.

I have been advised by a physio to bring my knees to my chest a few times before getting out of bed (whilst the body is warm) in the morning to loosen up a bit.

Before getting on the bike, any gentle movement or massage to gradually warm the body through may be enough to help.

Just a thought!!
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

My answer, re physio, will be posted in due course. I have an exercise regime at the moment (not related) underway, due to end in Jan. Then I'll be visiiting a physio to prepare for the impending touring season. In the meantime, I'm already using some of the suggestions which will keep me going until I add my touring gear, tent etc. :)
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

I've opted for the Physio (£40) a consultation. She examined me and from that, gave me a set of exercises which I'm currently following. So far (1 month in), progress is minimal and unfortunately I've left it a bit late as I head off on a tour in 4 weeks.

I like the idea of a rolling mount - a bit difficult though uphill on a loaded bike.

A kerbside (naturally) or even a tiny standing height increase can help.

The exercises are easy to follow and mostly are stretching. :!: :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’m currently experiencing difficulty in getting my leg over the crossbar on my bike as I’m not yet fully recovered after fracturing my pelvis.

What I find does help is angling the bike downwards to reduce the height, get my foot on the pedal and then straighten the bike up.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Used to be that when I had a tallish load on the back I'd swing my leg over the handlebars instead. I reckon I still could.

If you don't hear from me in the next few hours, send brandy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
wearwell

seat riser - leg over prob

Post by wearwell »

Old age and arthritis kicking in.
OK on bike except can't get my leg over! To get on I have to lay the bike down, step over it and lift it. Vice versa for getting off.
Dropping and raising the saddle might just do it for a leg over. Just been told there is a pneumatic button operated system used by mountain bikers.
Anybody know anything about this, or other suggestions?
Paulatic

Re: seat riser - leg over prob

Post by Paulatic »

Time to look at buying a Mixte frame maybe?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

wearwell wrote:Just been told there is a pneumatic button operated system used by mountain bikers.
Anybody know anything about this, or other suggestions?

The thing you've been told about is a 'dropper post.' They are usually cable-operated, and most have a gas strut inside - similar to what lifts cars' tailgates up - which is locked when the handlebar lever isn't being pressed. Once you've pressed the lever, you can press the seat down as required with your backside, or if you take your weight off it, it will rise back up.

They're hugely important for technical mountain biking, but I don't know whether it's the best solution for what you want. You can get the things for around £100 off eBay etc., but presumably your frame doesn't have through-the-frame cabling, so you'll need to buy one which has an externally routed cable. You'll also need to find one that fits the diameter of your frame's seat tube. You'll also need to check that the post can drop down far enough inside your seat tube so that, at it's full extension, your seat is where you want it. You'll also want to make sure the operating lever isn't going to clash with your gear levers - there are two different types, and you have to select the one that's right for your gear levers. However, as you won't be using it for its intended mountain bike use (where it's important to have it situated close by your thumb) you could actually site the lever on any available bit of handlebar or frame.

A good starting point would be an 'Ascend 2.' These are made in China and badged up by various different manufacturers, e.g. Brand X and Tranz X:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-ii-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod159176
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

There are lots of different dropper posts that drop by different amounts. I think that the smallest diameter you can get is 27.2mm. They are designed to be used with a frame that is small enough for the rider to install the post with some showing above the top of the seat tube even when fully dropped, clamping them right down in the frame can stop them working properly. So if you need your saddle right down on the top tube to in order to swing your leg over the bike a dropper post might not be the solution. If it is, great. I would go with an external cable actuated one, less to go wrong (or easier to rectify)and less internal cable faffage. Otherwise I'd consider a step through or mixte frame, in fact this would be preferable if you can find a bike that you get on with in this style.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Decades ago, I decided the vintage-style diamond frame, the design of which dates from before the first world war, left a lot to be desired. The necessity to clear the enormous wheels when mounting or dismounting was just one objection.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Back when I was riding with a lot of dunnage on the back I just swung my leg over the handlebars. I was young then, though - only 68. :roll: :D
Have we got time for another cuppa?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

gregoryoftours wrote:There are lots of different dropper posts that drop by different amounts. I think that the smallest diameter you can get is 27.2mm. They are designed to be used with a frame that is small enough for the rider to install the post with some showing above the top of the seat tube even when fully dropped, clamping them right down in the frame can stop them working properly. So if you need your saddle right down on the top tube to in order to swing your leg over the bike a dropper post might not be the solution. If it is, great. I would go with an external cable actuated one, less to go wrong (or easier to rectify)and less internal cable faffage. Otherwise I'd consider a step through or mixte frame, in fact this would be preferable if you can find a bike that you get on with in this style.

I've not heard about the problem with installing them too far down inside the frame causing problems. Every dropper post I've seen has a large screwed-on top cap at the top of the main tube which acts as a very solid end-stop and prevents inserting the things any further into the frame. Which models are affected by this?
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

DevonDamo wrote:.......
A good starting point would be an 'Ascend 2.' These are made in China and badged up by various different manufacturers, e.g. Brand X and Tranz X:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-ii-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod159176

Thanks for that. Could be the answer - am checking out the measurements.

Exercise/flexibility not the issue as it's arthritis and leg simply won't bend beyond a certain point. I suppose a hip replacement is the next thing to be looking at.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

DevonDamo wrote:I've not heard about the problem with installing them too far down inside the frame causing problems. Every dropper post I've seen has a large screwed-on top cap at the top of the main tube which acts as a very solid end-stop and prevents inserting the things any further into the frame. Which models are affected by this?

It's actually less that they're designed to be fitted with a bit of post up, but that installing them down to the top cap/collar can result in the action binding. This is especially true if the tolerances are a bit sloppy between the frame and the post so the seat clamp is done up tight to compensate. It's best to use carbon assembly paste with a dropper post so that less clamping force is needed, and clamp a couple of inches below the top cap.