Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

pedaller

Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Post by pedaller »

At 73, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to mount my bike due to my decreasing flexibility. This happens on all my bikes, 4 with a horizontal crossbar and a mountain bike. It's even more difficult when loaded for camping. I mount with leg over the crossbar and/or leg over the saddle, both awkward.
What I'm looking for is guidance on what exercise regime I should adopt to enable me to regain some appropriate flexibility. This would ideally include diagrammes/photos of exercises and frequency to do them eg #repetitions daily, twice daily or weekly etc. I guess one or more of some Pilates movemens may be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff
Last edited by pedaller on 1 Nov 2019, 1:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
Polisman

Re: Leg over

Post by Polisman »

Hi Cliff

I've been thinking about mobility myself. One of the best exercises for core and lower back is the dead lift. You don't need very heavy weights, indeed lighter weights (40-40kg) are preferable, and the equipment to do it at home is quite cheap to buy.

This exercise is considered a central plank of strength training, and can be attempted at any age, given proper guidance. Most gyms will be able to help you out initially, but my advice would be to start the, and then invest in the equipment to do it at home. 3 or 4 times a week and you'll find your mobility improves many fold.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I'd be focusing on FLEXIBIILTY, not strength, to overcome this problem.

The good news is that there are billions of good books out there on stretching and flexibility. [I'll try to post the one I've got, if I remember later ...]

If you don't begrudge spending ~£50 on an expert, I think that is money well spent at a physio who might set you off with a good start (and spot any inherent problems you may have developed over the decades).
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pedaller wrote:Not what you think!
At 73, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to mount my bike due to my decreasing flexibility. This happens on all my bikes, 4 with a horizontal crossbar and a mountain bike. It's even more difficult when loaded for camping. I mount with leg over the crossbar and/or leg over the saddle, both awkward.
What I'm looking for is guidance on what exercise regime I should adopt to enable me to regain some appropriate flexibility. This would ideally include diagrammes/photos of exercises and frequency to do them eg #repetitions daily, twice daily or weekly etc. I guess one or more of some Pilates movemens may be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff

This isn’t strictly the answer that you’re looking for but it might be of use to you or someone in a similar situation. I have several bikes but due to some back problems (now recovered) I could not swing a leg over a saddle. Fortunately my wife had a mixte frame bike she wasn’t using so I tried that and it worked a treat for me, still using it many years later. A lot of the old mixte frame bikes were actually built too long for a women but right for a man (we have longer backs) so they can work well. I just step through the frame, it works and that’s an end to it. Worth a try I think, and mine will help me to keep riding into my old age.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pedaller wrote:Not what you think!

Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Cliff, I'm 72 so not far behind you. I ride with people of a similar age, and the difficulty you describe is not uncommon.
However, I think there are 3 things working against us. ...
Decreasing flexibility, as you say.
Also, I'm afraid, deteriorating sense of balance;
and declining confidence in our ability to complete the manoeuvre, due to the above.
So, whats to do?
Rather than adopt a pre-existing "exercise", why not simply practise swinging your leg in the way you do to get on the bike?
I think trying to step over the crossbar is more awkward than swinging my leg over the saddle, so I would practise swinging my leg over an imaginary saddle. As I believe declining confidence in balance is part of the problem, it might be worth starting by resting a hand on (say) the kitchen worktop, or something else at an appropriate height. (and you do need to hold the 'bars while you get on.)
You can swing a leg over the handlebars, this is necessary on a tandem, but I don't find it helps much on a solo.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I think you're wrong about flexibility. Flexibility comes from core strength (lower back, stomach muscles, lats, gluteus max), core strength can easily be improved with light to moderate weight training.

I say this as someone who has had disc problems for nigh on ten years, and am occasionally immobile for weeks at a time with it. Core training with weights has enabled me to recover very quickly from these bouts, and recover without the need for any pain relief whatsoever. It's been a revelation for me. I've been 'training' like this for 8 years now, with few weights and dead lift, and my disc flare ups have decreased from 3 or 4 episodes a year to once every 2-3 years, a dramatic improvement in sure you'll agree. Most of flexibility loss as we age is due to a weakened core, especially the lower back.it's not as difficult to put right as you may imagine.

Weight training can support your core muscles by improving strength, durability and recovery, it's a myth that 'resting' your back will help recovery. Quite the opposite, active recovery is the thing most recommended by physiotherapists for any injury or deficiency in this region. The thing with pain and inflexibility in this area is that because it's so close to the spinal nerves, any distress is very much amplified. The pain rarely reflects the actual physical damage. Even twice weekly use of a kettle bell weight can dramatically improve flexibility in this area.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Weight training will improve strength but also flexibility.
I'm 78 and I don't have a problem swinging a leg over the saddle.
I use a gym about three times a week for a mixture of cardio, stretching exercises and weights.
Whether you use a gym or exercise at home some weight training is beneficial (IMO).
Halla

Post by Halla »

Hello Pedaller.

Your GP should be able to check you over, then provide you with suggested exercises with diagrams.

You could also join a yoga or pilates class, they are both recognised as good for core development and flexibility.

I do not support any advice to use heavy weights, that could do much more harm than good.

Good luck with it.

There are a lot of people in their 80's still getting their leg over, and some with step through frames.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

One word answer. Yoga
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another suggestion is an MTB dropper post
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I don't disagree that maintaining strength as we age is a good thing.

But I have to say that strength and flexibility are two different things. You can certainly improve one without the other (should you choose!)

e.g. if you can't touch your toes, you can cure that by simply stretching towards your toes a little bit more, every morning and night. Absolutely no strength gain involved!

(I suspect doing the splits is the same, but I've never had the patience/inclination to persevere on that front.)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm finding it harder to put my socks on in the morning. What weight training should I undertake to fix this, please?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yoga addresses both strength and flexibility problems.
W H Auden
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

At the risk of being accused of things relating to grandmothers and eggs ...................
I just lean the bike over as far as necessary ! Obvs not too easy if laden !
I have also ,when recovering from an op. which restricted movement a bit, laid the bike on the ground,stepped over it and picked it up. :D
If I have stated the obvious I is sorry,just don't all shout at once 8)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Not that bodily adjustment isn't a good way of approaching this, but also:

A rolling mount gives you a useful step up, because you climb on from the pedal rather than the ground: it's actually easier than getting on a stationary bike with a little practice;

You can get good bikes without a high tube. The main point of a high cross bar is extra stiffness but something like e.g. a Moulton has a very stiff frame while also having an easy step-over.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...