Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

ashworthlaing

Re: Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Post by ashworthlaing »

I am 73 too and found the same difficulty getting the leg over. I tried the laying the bike on the ground but that is no good in an emergency. I followed the advice given in earlier threads and went to Liz at beaumontbicycle.com who has now fitted me up with a step through. I appear on her website with my beautiful Esprit de Jim. I fully intend to be cycling into old age on it and have signed up for the End to End next September. I also do yoga twice a week.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Being pragmatic, could you commission a frame with a lower step over height to future proof you?

Sorry no sock content, or argument about musculature.
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

Repair and not getting a new frame is my aim. I used to be able to do it and believe I can do it again, I just want to know how. Seems a consultation with physio is the way to go
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

I think you have the answer on here already . . . a mixty frame!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pedaller wrote:Repair and not getting a new frame is my aim. I used to be able to do it and believe I can do it again, I just want to know how. Seems a consultation with physio is the way to go

Repair and not getting a new frame might seem like the lowest cost route but physio’s might end up costing you money and paid for health care can end up costing a bit more than one might think.

Mixte frames are available second hand and usually at quite attractive prices. There might be many good solutions to your difficulties but mixte frames provide an often ignored but still valuable long term route forward for many.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
toontra

Post by toontra »

In the longer term may be worth considering a step - through frame. Something like an Airnimal would solve the problem.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G950F using hovercraft full of eels.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I went to the NHS Pilates videos first, but found them a bit difficult to follow. . . . . exercises are often difficult to describe, even with videos alongside.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitne ... beginners/

I've been attending local lessons for many months now, guided by an experienced teacher.
It is only now after guidance and many repetitions that I'm doing the exercises at home and feel comfortable that I'm doing them right.
My lesson attendance is now infrequent - when there is a free space available and I want a session.
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

As I said earlier, I don't want to consider the Mixte option. I run 5 bikes so their replacement cost would be substantial. What happens when one can't step through the Mixte frame. This is partly why I want to recover my flexibility before it's too late and have resolved to take professional advice/guidance.

The debate is over for me, thanks to all.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If it turns out to be a balance problem (or fear of falling over problem), don't forget when swinging your leg over to hold the brake(s) on, so you know the bike isn't going to do a runner and off balance you.
Also, is one leg easier to swing over than the other?
In some locations you can make it easier by having the bike on something lower, say you on the kerb/verge, the bike on the road.
willcee

Post by willcee »

interesting contris.. before my hip op last Oct I had carried pain in that area for years what I and various physios thought was a deep seated muscle tear which only appeared one Sunday when honking standing up a fairly steep hill, that must have been back in 2012/3 it disappeared only to reappear now and then which fooled us for some years until Xrays told the real story.. during that time I had to reinvent mounting my bikes which although trained to do so from the left I have for 20 years now gone over from the right side by lowering the bike down.. these days using my E machines I revert to how my dad taught me in the late 50's.. foot on pedal, [these days thumbing the throttle] bike rolling and throw my left leg over.. it works .. and glad it is so because my right side is due another titanium and ceramic joint pre Christmas and at present while i have very little discomfort on the bike I have to lift my right into the car.. Will
LittleGreyCat

Re: Leg over

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Bobbin wrote:At the risk of being accused of things relating to grandmothers and eggs ...................
I just lean the bike over as far as necessary ! Obvs not too easy if laden !
I have also ,when recovering from an op. which restricted movement a bit, laid the bike on the ground,stepped over it and picked it up. :D
If I have stated the obvious I is sorry,just don't all shout at once 8)

Well, that is the way that I manage, laden and unladen.

Make sure the near side pedal is at the top of the stroke and lay the bike down as far as it will comfortably go, then swing your leg over the saddle (and any baggage on the rear rack). Dismount in the same way.

Despite yoga I am as inflexible as a very, very inflexible thing and have been for most of my life.

So work out what suits you.
I will say that "Do ABC; I do and it works for me so it should work for you." can be very misleading.

I do recall that as a youth I used to scoot along with my left foot on the pedal then swing my right leg over the saddle but I haven't tried that for a long, long time.
Perhaps I should.
The thought of what might happen if it didn't work holds me back, though.
Graham

Post by Graham »

It will be interesting to hear what Cliff's ( the O.P. ) professionals advise.

I hope that he comes back and lets us know.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I do the same as Bobbin but as a preferred option I look for something to lean against ( gatepost? ) or a higher kerb perhaps but anything raised would do.
Debs

Post by Debs »

pedaller wrote:At 73, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to mount my bike due to my decreasing flexibility. This happens on all my bikes, 4 with a horizontal crossbar and a mountain bike. It's even more difficult when loaded for camping. I mount with leg over the crossbar and/or leg over the saddle, both awkward.
What I'm looking for is guidance on what exercise regime I should adopt to enable me to regain some appropriate flexibility. This would ideally include diagrammes/photos of exercises and frequency to do them eg #repetitions daily, twice daily or weekly etc. I guess one or more of some Pilates movemens may be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff

If the exercises don't work, you could always talk to Elizabeth Colebrook BA BSc about a custom step-though.

http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/

Watch the delightful video - only 2 minutes long. The build quality looks exquisite! 8)

https://vimeo.com/183739755
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I didn't link as OP is adamant that this isn't a solution.

There's just one weld in there that's IMHO a bit suboptimal, but Brucey reassured me that it's perfectly structurally sound in his opinion. The rest's all beautiful! It's who would make my fantasy frame :D