Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Graham

Re: Leg over crossbar difficulty . . . what solution(s) ?

Post by Graham »

reohn2 wrote:One word answer. Yoga

Or Pilates or Tai Chi or something equivalent . . . . . pole dancing classes maybe . . . that might be fun . . .

The benefits can be significant the older you get, but don't leave it too late to start ( or you will never get started ).

Bobbin wrote:I just lean the bike over as far as necessary ! Obvs not too easy if laden !
I have also ,when recovering from an op. which restricted movement a bit, laid the bike on the ground,stepped over it and picked it up. :D
If I have stated the obvious I is sorry, just don't all shout at once 8)

It seems strangely difficult to realise what a helpful solution this can be. Try it. then make it normal practice.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 for Pilates
I’ve been doing it for 2 1/2 years now and wish I’d found time to do it when I was working.
Recently playing on a Wi machine which gives your age, determined by balance I believe, the others assembled results were their age or a couple of years younger. It gave my age as 30 years less than it is. Needless to say I got a lot of bragging rights out of that. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Re: Leg over

Post by pete75 »

531colin wrote:I'm finding it harder to put my socks on in the morning. What weight training should I undertake to fix this, please?

None.Getting muscle bound decreases flexibility and will make the task harder.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Graham

Post by Graham »

531colin wrote:I'm finding it harder to put my socks on in the morning. What weight training should I undertake to fix this, please?

no weight training required . . . . .
- Sit on the edge of your bed
- Roll backwards onto your back so that your [folded] legs come up and in towards your body
- Gravity assistance will bring your feet close to your body without any effort.

- Now you can put your socks on relatively easily. . . . You DID put the socks beside you, on the bed, first didn't you !! Doh.

PS. I'm sure that everyone of a certain age knows this already ??
paddler

Post by paddler »

Graham wrote:. . . .socks . . . no weight training required . . . . .

At almost 62 I am gradually losing flexibility and hadn't thought of this so thank you!

On a different note, I realised this week that getting in and out of a wobbly canoe is going to take more thought than previously, so I shall have to try some of the advice in this thread.
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

No problem with my socks so please revert to the original topic.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pedaller wrote:No problem with my socks so please revert to the original topic.

Use what used to be the traditional method. Left foot on left pedal, scoot with right leg and then bring it over the saddle. That way you're starting form a higher position, pedal height, rather than the ground.Alternatively get a Moulton or a recumbent.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
paddler

Post by paddler »

pete75 wrote: Left foot on left pedal, scoot with right leg and then bring it over the saddle.

I tried this last week funnily enough and it worked of course. I just have this slight fear of catching my leg as I swing it over, but probably practise will make perfect.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pete75 wrote:Getting muscle bound decreases flexibility and will make the task harder.

There is no such thing as being "musclebound"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:There is no such thing as being "musclebound"

Isn't there?
It has this meaning :-

Definition of muscle-bound
1: having some of the muscles tense and enlarged and of impaired elasticity sometimes as a result of excessive exercise
2: lacking in flexibility : RIGID
First Known Use of muscle-bound
1879, in the meaning defined at sense 1
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pedaller wrote:No problem with my socks so please revert to the original topic.

Firstly, it doesn't work like that. You started the thread, but that doesn't give you control....I can post whatever I like, provided its not offensive.
Secondly (do I really need to explain this?) My post about putting my socks on was intended to be funny. On the sarcastic side of funny, because of the recommendation to start weight training so that you could get on a bike.
Thirdly, if you are flexible enough to put your socks on with no bother, then I suspect your difficulty with getting on the bike is more to do with balance than flexibility, unless you have something specifically wrong with your hip. I ride with a few people who have had hip replacements (and there is a good knowledge pool here); I don't think everybody who has hip replacement(s) reports difficulty getting on the bike prior to replacement.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

pete75 wrote:

Isn't there?

1: having some of the muscles tense and enlarged and of impaired elasticity sometimes as a result of excessive exercise

Yes - 1879
There is relatively little there about well developed musculature having a negative impact on flexibility - just an assumption that in some way it does.
Building muscle is a slow and difficult process (unless chemical aids are used) involving putting the body through a wide range of movement.
Can you cite a peer reviewed scientific study that demonstrates that muscle enhancement reduces flexibility ?
Have you not noticed the well developed musculature of male gymnasts ? - limited flexibility ?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ANTONISH wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Isn't there?

Yes - 1879
There is relatively little there about well developed musculature having a negative impact on flexibility - just an assumption that in some way it does.
Building muscle is a slow and difficult process (unless chemical aids are used) involving putting the body through a wide range of movement.
Can you cite a peer reviewed scientific study that demonstrates that muscle enhancement reduces flexibility ?
Have you not noticed the well developed musculature of male gymnasts ? - limited flexibility ?

Obviously not all muscle development leads to a person being muscle bound. Gymnasts train for flexibility as well as strength development.

Building muscle and building strength are two different things as many a well honed gym bunny finds out when they try and arm wrestle people who have built up strength from their work.
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

"Simples"! as Meercat says on the TV!
tilt the bike slightly towards you and swing your leg over the handlebars. Holding the saddle with whatever hand is nearest the saddle.
pedaller

Post by pedaller »

Yes I can do that but only if without luggage