Red wine and effects on health /blood pressure

rualexander

Re: Red wine and effects on health /blood pressure

Post by rualexander »

Might be healthier to drink red grape juice instead though.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Sadly due to a medical condition I cannot drink alcohol with impunity. Now got used to being TT and don’t miss it.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ambodach wrote:Sadly due to a medical condition I cannot drink alcohol with impunity. Now got used to being TT and don’t miss it.

There are other stimulants tha knows ....... :-)

You could try psilocybin mushrooms or that legalised cannabis oil. Perhaps a certificate of permission can be obtained from a tame doktur?

Myself I just read something that will get me overexcited. Similar behaviours to being a happy drunk then ensue, including a lot of gabbling at the ladywife, who seems to listen but doesn't.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

PH wrote:
Polisman wrote:Most of the research I've read

Japan has a lower rate of heart disease than France, yet tend to drink more beer and spirits.

They're about the same. The Dordogne/Gascony/Perigord area of France has the most saturated fat consumption in France and possibly the world and half the average French rate.

What the Japanese and French share is a very similar and lower than most countries, consumption of sugar.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
axel_knutt wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I assume there’s salt in bought bread too.

Bread alone accounts for 42% of the salt in my diet, even with the lowest salt loaf available in town.

Care to post some figures, where does the 58% come from? Do you know how much salt is in the bread?
I add salt to porridge in summer occasionally, do not use it anywhere else, but lots of foods contain salt, I love that salty white cheese :?

Yeast bread has to have salt in it to keep the yeast from overproducing. The salt content can vary, but it needs to roughly match the yeast content. Exact quantities vary with process, flour, and other contents. I get the best results for most of my breads with 1 teaspoon of salt, and a slightly rounded teaspoon of dried yeast. White bread, I can use a little less, but most of what I make is wholemeal, or partly so.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
PH wrote:
Polisman wrote:Most of the research I've read

Japan has a lower rate of heart disease than France, yet tend to drink more beer and spirits.

They're about the same. The Dordogne/Gascony/Perigord area of France has the most saturated fat consumption in France and possibly the world and half the average French rate.

What the Japanese and French share is a very similar and lower than most countries, consumption of sugar.

This may also have as much or more to do with the French (and Japanese?) health system where they do more work in prevention than most other systems, and also have one of the world's best performance for dealing with critical heart events.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Vorpal wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:
PH wrote:

This may also have as much or more to do with the French (and Japanese?) health system where they do more work in prevention than most other systems, and also have one of the world's best performance for dealing with critical heart events.

Indeed, but what's notable about the Dordogne area is that the rate of myocardial infarction (heart attacks) is very low anyway.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Just some comments...…
There is apparently a lot of research showing that salt doesn't raise blood pressure in someone with normal BP, however it is stated that if someone has high BP it may be reduced (but only by a very small factor) by cutting out salt. Make of that what you will.
My 2nd comment is that my Father in Law has fairly good health at 92 years old, along with numerous glasses of red wine and whisky each week. The only other fluid intake is coffee (and then only 1 or 2 a day). It's quite remarkable given that he's probably not done any exercise since leaving school.
As regards red wine lowering BP, that's something I can't drink then, as my BP is normal bordering on low, so I wouldn't want to drop it any more :roll: