Asthma Inhalers

Fat tyre kicker

Re: Asthma Inhalers

Postby Fat tyre kicker » 15 Jan 2020, 8:18am

I've been on inhalers for 31 years combined with montelukast tablets, I agree completely about
The stated dosages, there is never 200 doses in an inhaler, I find with asthma though it can
Chop and change, you get used to one inhaler and then it becomes less effective so you tend
To use more ? My annual review is at the start of Feb so meds could change again.....

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Jan 2020, 8:26am

Yvonned wrote:Hi Mick. I was transferred to Fostair about a year ago and it has transformed my control of asthma. I have to take 3x2 puffs a day but that’s fine because it means I don’t need the Ventolin. It’s supposed to give 120 inhalations but I find I get much more than that. I’m happy to have transferred to it as it has helped with cycling enormously. I’ve not had a bad attack all through 2019. Hope it has same effect for you. Yvonne
Thanks.
That's good news.

The doc told me that this inhaler is a 21st Century inhaler, suggesting the the one I've been using for longer than I can remember is old hat and not good enough these days.

My chest is getting slowly better now. On steroid tablets too at the moment. Been down with a heavy clod for weeks which seems impossible to shift and apart from getting congested in the head, it's gone to my chest. It'll be a long way back out of all this, but I'm optimistic that by the weekend it'll be behind me. ....................... Fingers crossed! :D

Fat tyre kicker wrote:I've been on inhalers for 31 years combined with montelukast tablets, I agree completely about
The stated dosages, there is never 200 doses in an inhaler, I find with asthma though it can
Chop and change, you get used to one inhaler and then it becomes less effective so you tend
To use more ? My annual review is at the start of Feb so meds could change again.....
This sounds right to me. Getting used to one specific inhaler seems like many things in life that you get used to. It's good to change.
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Jan 2020, 11:35am

I've used a steroid inhaler for about 20 years. Following a pollution induced period of severe asthma having spent a week in Hampshire last summer, I increased the dose for a few days, on the directions of the asthma nurse. A few days later she phoned to reverse her advice because she hadn't realised which inhaler I used. (Duoresp Spiromax 320mcg).

A consequence is severe thrush deep in my throat so not affected by the normal mouth gargle/rinse plus earlier a complete loss of voice. Now a rather gravelly voice. As a singer this is frustrating. I saw an ENT person last week and am now awaiting voice therapy.
John

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 15 Jan 2020, 6:04pm

Been using Inhalers for asthma for decades and was only recently told to rinse my mouth after use to avoid thrush etc. I found that switching to a wool duvet has helped quite a bit as dust mites don't like them.