How long can I use an indoor bike

[XAP]Bob

Re: How long can I use an indoor bike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I wouldn't go further than a mile ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How long can I use an indoor bike

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The old turbo is 19 years old, cost me near on £200 when new.
Been a faint very slight hunting of noise last year.
Tonight I killed the pain and torture at 40 minutes.
Before the rotor disintegrated.............5600 - 6800 rpm.
I guess a bearings gone dry, thought on the turbo hopes its not the RW hub bearings.
Span the rotor up with the wheel and disconnected the tyre.............as it slows the thing sounds like a stuffed washing machine bearing.
Should be easy to fix.

I find that one hour is plenty enough of 360 degree resistance with no coasting, sore rear as there is little ventilation.
Even with a powerful fan or two you can sweat profusely.
It has its merits but I am missing the usual 2.5-3 hour slog on the road.
Turbo is like ice skating, your feet suffer but you want to go faster so you keep it up.
Road or off road mixed is like a longer event but it feels like the same time as the turbo, coasting and downhills are relief from the pain.
The only way to pass time on a turbo is to imagine your are somewhere or someone else, if your not into music then it can prove impossible.
I once spent nearly ten years of turbo training with no real bike riding at all.
In the last ten years I did do 5 months of turbo training and then cycled one hundred miles round dartmoor :?

TBH if you are not suffering some what (you want to stop if you can find an excuse) then I would say that a 40-60 minute walk in a wooded terrain or up some hills would probably be more beneficial.
I normally alternate the tread mill with the turbo every other day if I am not getting out on the bike, weather is rubbish at the moment, cold dark and slippery is the only alternative road work I have at the moment.
The concentration level is a bit numbing, I find that too many rides are frequented with, hitting staggered cycle path gates, sliding drunk like on mudded paths, narrowly missing a plunge down a tree felled railway embankment...................over shooting the same bend several times and hitting the bank hedge and grass verge.....................front wheel slide..............

Indoor work is safer for a while I thinks.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.