Itching all over

ianrobo

Itching all over

Post by ianrobo »

Over the past few weeks I have started to itch all over with no obvious rashes etc ...

It is worse after cycling and is not related to those areas you would sweat more in. I can start itching from toe to head.

Anyone has experience of this and it has just started
Spinners

Re: Itching all over

Post by Spinners »

I wear bib shorts virtually all year round and get this on my lower legs from the cold drying my skin and especially around where the elasticated band is. Try moisturising.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
dim

Post by dim »

have you switched to a different washing powder detergent?

One of my work collegues used to itch, and it was found that she used a new washing powder/detergent which caused the problem
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Nah I have checked and same liquid used for years (from Aldi) and can not think of anything different. And always worse after cycling
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sweating opens the pores, so I would suspect that something about your clothes is causing the irritation. Washing powder is the most common culprit. People do change woth time. It might be worth trying an unscented one, like Ecover, or one for sensitive skin or something.

The other thing is that skin dries as we age, so it could justbe dry skin. Something like E45 or aqueous cream might help.

Otherwise see your GP. They refer you to a dermatologist.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Yes been reading about that but it would mean rubbing it in all over
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:Nah I have checked and same liquid used for years (from Aldi) and can not think of anything different. And always worse after cycling

Even if you haven't changed liquid, it might have changed formulation. Shop brands are terrible for doing this almost unannounced.

Skin problems can come from a huge range of sources. Even imbalanced gut bacteria from an unusual diet can result in skin inflammation!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Anything else different in your diet?
Any changes in other aspects of your health?
Itching without a rash can be due to systemic causes and if nothing else has changed you do well to consider seeing your GP.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

ianrobo wrote:Over the past few weeks I have started to itch all over with no obvious rashes etc ...

It is worse after cycling and is not related to those areas you would sweat more in. I can start itching from toe to head.

Anyone has experience of this and it has just started

One common cause of itch-all-over with no rash and worse when exercising hard is an inability to excrete bile from your gall duct. The contents must instead be got rid of via your bloodstream and urine. The salts in it make you itch everywhere the blud goes. You itch more when exercise pushes the blud into every teeny capillary as part of the sweating process (the "pink" of high exercise).

Are you jaundiced (yellowish eye-whites and skin)? Is your wee dark yellow even if you're drinking normal amounts? Is your poo pale? These are the other signs of the blocked gall duct.

If so, the causes can be many. Gallstones is the usual cause. But there can be others, some moe serious.

Of course, it might be something else entirely. But the bile-in-the-bloodstream is quite a common cause of all-over mysterious itch with no rash.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Thanks both and I think I will book an appointment in the new year it is driving me crazy !
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cugel wrote: Are you jaundiced (yellowish eye-whites and skin)? Is your wee dark yellow even if you're drinking normal amounts? Is your poo pale? These are the other signs of the blocked gall duct.

+ 1. As someone drinking too much in 2006 (NB. I wasn't a drunk, working in a senior mgt post, doing 150 miles high speed on the bike a week as a minimum and 3-4 gym sessions :wink: ), I found myself itching like mad after every heavy exercise session.

I reviewed all the obvious suspects such as washing powders, soaps, shampoos et al, nothing worked, but it stopped shortly after going on a 12 month tour :wink: (NB. Alcohol consumption dropped to a bottle of wine or a single beer once in 3 months and the itching stopped :oops: )
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Thanks I drink relatively little (for example over Xmas just had 3 pints).
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

ianrobo wrote:Thanks I drink relatively little (for example over Xmas just had 3 pints).

My God! I was thinking about having a pint in 2020 (NB. Had a pint back in April/May eaelir this year, but 3 pints in one week :shock: )
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

As others have already said:

Washing powder/liquid; I traced itching to Biological washing powders and liquids.
Non-Bio seem generally fine.

Recently in Winter I get itching around the lower legs and feet which I blame on dry skin (the air is dryer in Winter, apart from anything else) and I find that moisturiser (baby lotion or E45) seem to stop the itching.

All over moisturising is a "thing" so there are plenty of products. If you are lucky you might find someone to help apply.
Also look at soap/shower gel as this can dry the skin; again there are plenty of cleansing products for dry skin.

Having read this discussion my feet are starting to itch......
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

This has been plaguing me for a few months and confirming earlier posts it has been traced to a chemical in washing powder. Two things have helped me following dermatologists advice: First use a washing powder such as Surcare which has no perfumes. Secondly take antihistamines for a month as they will help stop your immune system reacting to the chemical residue in your clothing. Apparently it can take a few good washes to remove all the residues.

As a moisturiser I like the AproDerm brand https://www.aproderm.com. They have a Gel and an Emollient variety, I prefer the gel.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".