Power Meters: Do I need/want one?

mattheus

Re: Power Meters: Do I need/want one?

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote:I guess it goes in a similar pot to a heart rate monitor. If you are trying to optimise speed and/or efficiency then used appropriately it can help with that.

Well kinda … the huge difference is that you can get an HRM from Decathlon for about £20, IIRC!

I'd rather spend the price of a power-meter at the physio. Or on better/new tyres. Or ... etc ...
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

mattheus wrote:
pjclinch wrote:I guess it goes in a similar pot to a heart rate monitor. If you are trying to optimise speed and/or efficiency then used appropriately it can help with that.

Well kinda … the huge difference is that you can get an HRM from Decathlon for about £20, IIRC!

I'd rather spend the price of a power-meter at the physio. Or on better/new tyres. Or ... etc ...

Using a HRM over power meters is a bit like the difference in working out how sweet a cake is by tasting it ( HRM ) or by measuring the sugar you put in, accurately, with a balance ( Power meter ).Heart rate has a relationship to power, but it’s not directly comparative.
Marcus Aurelius

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Well you're lucky you don't live near me.
I'll probably overtake you and then go round the block and do it again :mrgreen: :lol:

I really doubt that.
Marcus Aurelius

ANTONISH wrote:Why is someone who overtakes you an idiot? maybe they are just faster than you.

The ones that are faster ( for whatever reason ) and there are an infinite number of reasons why that could be so, aren’t the idiots. If they get on with it that’s fine by me. The idiots, are the ones that struggle past, having been silently wheel sucking, as I sit up to scratch my buttock ( or whatever) then blow up almost immediately. Which means they are then right in my way, when I need to get back on it. They usually try it on when I’ve backed off to allow a vehicle to get past as well, which is even worse.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
I'll probably overtake you and then go round the block and do it again :mrgreen: :lol:

I really doubt that.

Come on I made a joke :)
So what does your watt meter tell you then :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:Why is someone who overtakes you an idiot? maybe they are just faster than you.

The ones that are faster ( for whatever reason ) and there are an infinite number of reasons why that could be so, aren’t the idiots. If they get on with it that’s fine by me. The idiots, are the ones that struggle past, having been silently wheel sucking, as I sit up to scratch my buttock ( or whatever) then blow up almost immediately. Which means they are then right in my way, when I need to get back on it. They usually try it on when I’ve backed off to allow a vehicle to get past as well, which is even worse.

Or they thought you had blown and they overtook and settled back into their pace?............... :)
Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I really doubt that.

Come on I made a joke :)
So what does your watt meter tell you then :?:

4.5 W/Kg and 400 FTP. Not that I get any cause to use it properly, most of the time.
Last edited by Marcus Aurelius on 18 Jan 2020, 3:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Or they thought you had blown and they overtook and settled back into their pace?............... :)

In which case they lack experience, that’s not a big problem, but deliberately starting to weave about, move right into the middle of the road as I get back on it( it has happened, and indeed there is one guy that keeps doing this on my morning commute ) although this particular one is worse, because I always approach on the same hill, and he just doesn’t seem to get the fact that deliberately blocking is total knobjockery.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Where I live locally, I used to see this guy bare racing bike no tools etc.
I would catch him on my normal training run, he would perk up and sprint off, I could see him again about 100 yrds in front but not leaving me just me slowly gaining with out changing my pace, happened about three times over several years.

Then one day on the way to work, mtb with panniers rucksack overall's lunch probably tools for work tools for bike etc, I see him at the lights in a body lycra suit on his racer :? he pulls away before I get to lights, two minds to not watch him or catch him...........the later as I passed him I said you must have your brakes on mate :!: with a big grin.
Deadly serious he then challenged me to a race :?
I declined and settled into my normal to work pace, (he rode off and was 100 yrds ahead) which is always training for me.
About 4 miles later after a big steep hill I again spy him at the lights, same thing I get there late and the last I see him as I got to work.

Silly maybe sort of chap but that's all :)
One of my old stories.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I regularly have this issue - but from the other side. i spy a rider ahead, i'm not chasing them but i slowly close the gap and end up on their wheel, problem is, i've only been going maybe 1mph faster than them so do i pass and have Marcus curse me as he's bum scratching or 'wheel suck'? I had exactly this scenario last week, caught the chap, passed him then as if his life depended on it he races back past only to slow down twebty metres further on - and repeat about 3 times. I'm not racing anyone, i ride at my own pace which may be faster or slower than others but this childish 'must be in front' business really p's me off.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
dim

Post by dim »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
mattheus wrote:

Using a HRM over power meters is a bit like the difference in working out how sweet a cake is by tasting it ( HRM ) or by measuring the sugar you put in, accurately, with a balance ( Power meter ).Heart rate has a relationship to power, but it’s not directly comparative.

.... you could be very tired and stressed, or getting ill and your heart rate will reflect that

a powermeter never lies .... in simple terms, power is how hard you press the pedals at a specific cadence ...

best way to train is to use a powermeter with a heart rate monitor ... if you are tired or overtrained, your heart rate will reflect that

some top athletes train for endurance using the polarised training method (google that ... it's very good)

combine the powermeter with a heart rate monitor
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
HRM your effort on your internals.
Power meter clinical what you can do.

When I get fitter my heart rate drops 10 bpm for same power.
But for training.......................hrm.............a bit of the meter.
On my good days I probably had a tail wind :)

Combined meter and hrm yes.