Twisted ankle recovery tips

QUIST

Twisted ankle recovery tips

Postby QUIST » 28 Jan 2020, 12:55pm

I fell to my right and bruised my r.knee and r.amkle, neither broken or fractured but latter in particular feels swollen and has some fluid build up, have see Drs who advised Ibuprofren and use it is painful/uncomfortable any tips bar ice and taking the weight off which does seem to help

Thanks in advance

Marcus Aurelius

Re: Twisted ankle recovery tips

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 28 Jan 2020, 1:32pm

Elevate it whenever possible, take some sort of NSAID ( non steroid anti inflammatory drug ), and keep it compressed, with compression wraps. I personally quite like these.
https://www.poundland.co.uk/masterplast ... rt-bandage
They only cost a quid per roll, and you get a few uses from each roll.
Add some of these.

https://www.poundland.co.uk/masterplast-heat-pads

Again, for a quid, and it should make things a bit more comfortable for you, whilst you heal up.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » 28 Jan 2020, 1:52pm

Heat pads are likely to make things worse in the first few days, not better. Don't rush out and buy any just yet. Apart from that, there's no magic bullet. Just rest it and/or go easy on it while it recovers.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 28 Jan 2020, 8:51pm

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 29 Jan 2020, 3:59pm

RICE is good advice for the intial couple of days or so, but once the swelling has gone significantly, heat pads help with the aches and pains when moving about. Keep the compression going though, and rest and elevate whenever possible.

willcee

Postby willcee » 6 Feb 2020, 6:54pm

ok.. cut the toe out of a wooly sock, totally soak sock in vinegar,any sort, slip it over affected limb, cut the bottom out of a decent supermarket carrier bag put it over the sock and limb and tape it over the top and bottom so that the smell doesn't offend her indoors or annoy your bed linens or furniture.. it will speed the recovery magically, this is a tip given to me many moons ago by a hardened Gaelic player who used to train the team and that was his 'go to' linament for knocks strains and sprains..mind you poteen, wee still or moonshine are good as well.. will

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 9 Feb 2020, 9:55pm

"...he went to bed and wrapped his head
in vinegar and brown paper."

I always thought this was the usual nursery rhyme nonsense but it must be an old folk remedy.