Total Knee Replacement - 10 months later

Jancathy

Total Knee Replacement - 10 months later

Post by Jancathy »

Please can anyone on here offer me some advice. For a few years I have only used my cycle on a turbo stand due to severe knee pain. I have now had a total knee replacement last April - problem is I still cannot achieve a complete rotation of the pedals. I have had physio since week one, exercising three times a day and
To be honest am getting am getting right fed up! My goal always was to get back cycling and being a mature cyclist 65, I don t want to waste time.
If anyone has any tips and willing to share them, I would be really grateful.
Thanks a lot in advance
grufty

Re: Total Knee Replacement - 10 months later

Post by grufty »

Sorry to hear about your knee problems.
Mrs Grufty had a total knee replacement 18 months ago and fortunately is now able to cycle. She did all the physio, but also found shorter cranks useful, she now uses 160s.We were also considering a pendulum crank if she couldn't obtain the full flexion.
Perhaps one of these options may be worth considering?
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I had the same issue after a partial replacement. I'm only a few years younger than you and my knee(s) had prevented me from cycling for 4 years

When I first got on the bike I could almost get a full revolution but I couldn't get enough bend in my hip and knee to get it over the top of the stroke.
I ended up raising the saddle quite a bit to lessen the bend in both joints. It made just enough of a difference to complete a stroke. I could only manage a few strokes at a time to begin with then increased it to 20 then 50, 100, 200 but this was over about a month. Now nine months after the operation I'm managing 45 minutes reasonably comfortably. The only drawback is I struggle getting on and off due to the height of the saddle. I may try to start gradually lowering it now that I've got going.
It's also really boring so I've put a piece of wood across the handlebars to sit my tablet on and I watch things on iPlayer while I pedal.
If raising the saddle hadn't worked I intended changing the cranks but I was quite pleased that wasn't necessary.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Thankyou for these helpful tips. I have a bit of hope now knowing it’s not just me having these issues. I will try a much higher saddle first and if not successful I will try other option.
I know what I will be doing tomorrow now!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The full rotation of the pedals took about 8 weeks. It was painful, but after the first rotation, the others
were less so. Has the swelling to totally disappeared?

I had my partial knee replacement in July 2019 (they still cut you open, etc etc) and swelling
is still there (along with pain at times). Can walk (1 mile) to work ok. Comfortable doing 50 mile
rides (albeit slower than pre-op).
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

Physio... Do you mean the exercises they give you, or actual physical manipulation?

ime physical manipulation is the only way of breaking down the scar tissue that restricts movement. The exercises ( laughingly called physio these days ) they prescribe will only achieve so much.

Removed my kneecap by accident, at highspeed, as well as filling the joint and cavity with ‘road’. Recovery was slow at first due to infection but once that was clear I got proper physio from a guy who works with professional rugby players. Surgeon was amazed at the progress, he wished the NHS could do it as well.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I had a knee replacement 4 years ago. One thing I learned from my post-op physio classes is that everyone progresses at different speeds depending on the amount of swelling. I was able to turn the pedals with the saddle at a normal height after 12-14 weeks. Before that, as others have said, I raised the seat until I could only just reach the pedals at the bottom of the stroke. My surgeon said I could expect the bend to improve over a period of 18 months but in fact I saw improvements up to 2 years post-op with continuous work.

Have you seen your surgeon to check whether there is scar tissue preventing your bend? I understand there are procedures that can be done to break down excess scar tissue, but only your surgeon can advise on whether that might be an option for you.

Good luck with your recovery.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

A friend has now had both done and the advice given was sit high with shorter cranks, and gently does it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Did most of you cycle before the knee trouble or had it been a long term non cycling issue?
I am here. Where are you?
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Cowsham wrote:Did most of you cycle before the knee trouble or had it been a long term non cycling issue?

Cycling wasn't the reason for my arthritis if that's what you are asking.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Arthritis for me. Advice I've taken on board was not to judge my recovery with that of others.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

bogmyrtle wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Did most of you cycle before the knee trouble or had it been a long term non cycling issue?

Cycling wasn't the reason for my arthritis if that's what you are asking.

Yes just wondering if;

1. Cycling was taken up to try to prevent or limit further degradation in the condition ?
2. You suspect cycling started the condition, caused the condition ( ie a fall etc ) or made the condition worse?
3. Cycling has made the condition better?
4. Did any of you wear toe straps or cleats. ie were you strapped/clipped in for most of your cycling before or after your knee problems?
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

No. Took it up after the Motorcycle crash to keep the movement level up ( flexibility and movement is everything ). The only longterm issue for me has been not being able to do heavy Squats at the gym.

Mind you I have since torn the cartilage and damaged my ACL in the same knee, can still cycle though.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Smudgerii wrote:

No. Took it up after the Motorcycle crash to keep the movement level up ( flexibility and movement is everything ). The only longterm issue for me has been not being able to do heavy Squats at the gym.

Mind you I have since torn the cartilage and damaged my ACL in the same knee, can still cycle though.

Thanks
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

I have cycled for pleasure off and on since teenage years, even having a seat for my first child. Since my late thirties I started noticing changes in my joints but didn’t take any notice. I should have taken more care as most of my joints are affected by arthritis, hence the knee replacement. I think cycling helped me and I will be carrying on cycling as soon as I am fit enough.
Having altered the seat on my bike and taking it slowly, I have now managed to get full rotation......if that is what you call it and today I kept going for fifteen minutes. I know this isn’t much but for me it’s a start to better things.
Thanks to all of you for such interesting and helpful tips.
When I get out on the road, whenever that might be, I will put up a post. For now, it’s the turbo stand in my shed.